Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I check tires and put gas in it.

Comment

I do within reason. Some of the newer electronic stuff I stay away from but any older vehicle I can pretty much do everything. I grew up working on race cars with my dad and was a grease monkey. I cannot see spending several $$$$ on stuff I can do myself.

Comment

I do all of mine, including my inlaws and my parents and brother. My dad has all the tools I could ever need so if I need anything then I can always barrow it from him.

Comment

I do mine.....

My lift in the shop was the best thing I ever bought

Comment

Yes.. from complete race cars/trucks in younger days, to front end swaps (oldest sons mishap), to complete engines, to lift kits and drops, to deletion kits and tuners, to jeep builds..
            Even change my own oil...
            Theres stuff id rather pay someone to do.. well..all of it really.. but usally i get an itch to do it myself when i get the quotes from the shop..

Todays kids with access to google and youtube have NO EFFING EXCUSE for not being able to do it themselves..

We had a chiltons..IF WE WERE LUCKY...

Comment

Oil changes, brakes and basic stuff about all I do now.

Comment

Only thing I won't do is rebuild an automatic transmission. I refuse to pay shop rates at garages. I used to own a garage and sell tires, and still have my tools. Oil change at a guick lube for my 7.3 is around $80. I do it for about $35.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  Last thing I did was a brake job on a 2007 commander in 2010.

I haven’t checked the oil on anything since 2002.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I am this type of mechanic these days. That being said I am a freak on having others perform my preventative maintenance.

Comment

I get oil changes done at the dealership, I buy a package of 4 and it comes out to about $25 and some change. This way I don't have to find a place to take the spent oil.
                    Most other repairs I do myself if I have time.

Comment

I do it all because I ain't paying someone to do work I can do myself.
                      Used oil works great on my fenceline

Comment

Oil - no - for $60 I get a free carwash
                        Brakes yes 2 hrs vs. some jack wagon charging $300
                        Spark plugs yes
                        Lift kits - yes if truck does not have a warranty
                        Front end -yes
                        Radiator, water pump, alternator, battery-yes
                        Sell them at 150k so nothing else ever really goes wrong

Comment

I do just about everything except change oil. My time is worth more than that. The electronics don't scare me. Once you figure out that most everything is resistance based with a 5V reference there really isn't much to it. Last major work I did was changing head gaskets and installing new timing chains and guides on his Dodge pickup. Wish I would have know before hand it was DOHC. I was planning on a Saturday afternoon and a few beers....turned into all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            ...access to google and youtube have NO EFFING EXCUSE for not being able to do it themselves..

We had a chiltons..IF WE WERE LUCKY...
                            And with RockAuto and Amazon I’ve saved many thousands of dollars doing it.

Comment

I do most of my own.

About all I won't do is tear into a new engine or transmission. I just don't have the comfort level for that.

Rebuilding an old engine, or a manual transmission, no problem. Suspension, gearing, all accessory drive components, brakes: also no problem.

A lift is on my wish list. So is a motorcycle / quad lift to work on ATV and UTV's.

My tool collection is fairly extensive, I do not have all the manufacturer specific tools for some tasks. I have to rent or borrow them if it's something I'll get into.

Comment

I do everything on my jeep.. most of the time I let someone else change the oil in my other vehicles..it's too much trouble getting rid of the old oil and crawling under the car.. I do all other maintenance.. if it's a alternator or belt I'll do it.. but with the new vehicles and their electronics I don't like to guess if I don't know what it is..

Comment

Working...
                                X