This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    So I met a vet and we sat and talked for a while. He asked if I got my percentage.

I explained I didn't retire and wasn't disabled.

This guy is legitimately disabled but he is gaming the system for all its worth.
    I'm not comfortable with that.

I got out 25 years ago. I did get injured and lost some vision while I was in the service but because it was the result of a motorcycle accident I assumed it didn't qualify for veterans help. He claims it does.

Anyone here have any insight into the Texas Vet system. I don't want to take advantage but I do have documented (by the Navy) vision loss from way back when.
    You can't do anything about the guy milking the system. But you should not let him prevent you from getting care that you have earned with your service. The biggest thing that guys miss out on is the care in the later years of their lives. Being able to have the VA help you with vision care when you are 80 and not have your family have to worry about that is huge in my book.

Get in touch with one of the veterans advocacy organizations, American Legion, VFW, Marine Corps League, etc. They have representatives that will help you sort out the mess that is VA benefits.

Comment

If it's not service connected, as in "happened in line of duty", then it doesn't qualify for VA disability. Does that mean that VA won't cover it? Absolutely not, a few years ago the fine folks over at the VA started rubber stamping a bunch of claims for people so as to clear their back log. Unfortunately for those veterans, if their claim is ever reviewed then their rating will be adjusted and they'll lose that money going forward. As for the motorcycle crash referenced above, the VA will review your military file and there will be some type of incident report included in the information on your treatment. This information will include that it was not in the line of duty and any claim should be dismissed.

Comment

This post made me think. Is it milking the system if you hurt yourself on your own time while in the military, but it wasn't document as "line of duty -no" or if you had an issue before you got into the military, but they didn't catch it?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          This post made me think. Is it milking the system if you hurt yourself on your own time while in the military, but it wasn't document as "line of duty -no" or if you had an issue before you got into the military, but they didn't catch it?
          Yes, the VA will not give you disability for an issue unless you claim it. If they find something that you didn't claim, they will inform you and you will then have the option of claiming it if you so choose. Claiming something that you know isn't service related in the hopes that a highly efficient government employee misses it is really no different whether it's a veteran or someone lying to get more welfare.

Comment

The system is broken and vets have been encouraged to take advantage of the system. 45 percent of "new" veterans claiming a disability and on average 8-9 ailments claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
              The system is broken and vets have been encouraged to take advantage of the system. 45 percent of "new" veterans claiming a disability and on average 8-9 ailments claimed.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ity/55250092/1
              And at least in Killeen they don't pay any property taxes ( with a certain amount of disability and that threshold is not very high)
              Lots of welfare going on in that area as far as I am concerned.
              I respect no one more than a vet until they scam the system to get a check

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                And at least in Killeen they don't pay any property taxes ( with a certain amount of disability and that threshold is not very high)
                Lots of welfare going on in that area as far as I am concerned.
                I respect no one more than a vet until they scam the system to get a check
                When I went to college after the Army I had to go to the VA office to fill out my paperwork and apply. They had these young vets there that worked somehow for the VA or for VA affiliated groups and it was their job to push and pressure you into filing a claim. They even instructed us on what claims the VA either cant or will have a hard time proving you don't have. The goal was to get to 50 percent or higher. Disgusting people, and unfortunately the majority of guys there were listening to them. When I asked them why if nothing was wrong with them the reply was "so what we got it coming to us as vets and so do you" NOPE

Comment

Kind of reminds me of the Obummer TV commercials depicting how cool it was to get the Lone Star Card to help beneficiaries eat better to the point it became a social status symbol... the commercial setting was ladies (with bit butts) working out at the gym.

At least the Vets somewhat did something for theirs... Still, they volunteered for the service knowing the risks... I'm all for helping those who need it, but gaming the system just isn't right and I hope it can be "fixed"...

Comment

Appears I opened a can of worms.

1) I will not game the system for a handout however, if the damage is degenerative or something that I need help to get resolved I'm willing to look into my option via the veterans system.

2) If I am understanding y'all correctly this was service connected in that it occurred during my enlistment and not any sort of pre-existing condition and the Doctors at the veterans hospital documented the damage to my optic nerve in the summer of 1990.

3) My first step is going to a civilian Dr. for his opinion before I waste anyone's time at the VA. If he believes it is stable then I see no reason to collect a dime of assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Appears I opened a can of worms.

1) I will not game the system for a handout however, if the damage is degenerative or something that I need help to get resolved I'm willing to look into my option via the veterans system.

2) If I am understanding y'all correctly this was service connected in that it occurred during my enlistment and not any sort of pre-existing condition and the Doctors at the veterans hospital documented the damage to my optic nerve in the summer of 1990.

3) My first step is going to a civilian Dr. for his opinion before I waste anyone's time at the VA. If he believes it is stable then I see no reason to collect a dime of assistance.
                      Going to the VA doesn't necessarily mean getting paid.You can get treatment also.

DJ

Comment

I got out in 1968 with a 10% disability from having malaria 3 times. Was exposed to agent orange numerous times too. I haven't received a dime since 1969 when they decided the malaria was no longer in my system. Even then I only got $252 total for one year. I've had heart attacks and skin cancers and still have jungle rot appear on my lower legs ever so often. When I see a vet missing an arm of leg I just can't see me asking for anything since it would take away from them who need it more.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          I got out in 1968 with a 10% disability from having malaria 3 times. Was exposed to agent orange numerous times too. I haven't received a dime since 1969 when they decided the malaria was no longer in my system. Even then I only got $252 total for one year. I've had heart attacks and skin cancers and still have jungle rot appear on my lower legs ever so often. When I see a vet missing an arm of leg I just can't see me asking for anything since it would take away from them who need it more.
                          Back in July this year I finally gave in and went to the VA to get help getting hearing aids. After all the testing and review of all my medical history the VA provided me with new hearing aids and in addition they awarded me a 90% disability rating, mainly due to PTSD and agent orange exposure. I never expected so much and am truly grateful. This sure was a fast turn around. Only took them 90 days and I was expecting it to take a year or more. I can only believe that the things Pres. Trump has done for the Veterans is working. MAGA
                          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 11-22-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                            If it happened while you were in the service,and it's documented in your medical records then it's service connected.

DJ
                            This...my bro dislocated his shoulder playing basketball in Kuwait during Desert Storm. 10 years later he had surgery on it cause it would keep popping out and he still has issues with it. Gets a check every month.

Comment

Depending on when and where you served can be determinative as to your eligibility for benefits. Certain conditions are presumed to be service connected. Go in to be evaluated

Comment

Been to the eye doctor and my vision isn’t degenerative. I’m satisfied and I don’t need VA help.

Comment

Working...
                                X