My Horrifying Shop Build: Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of y'all may remember me posting some pics of the nightmare I was having w/getting a shop built. WeldRite Construction, who failed miserably @ building the shop w/a pool room, filed a small claims suit against me. There was $4K left on the contract I didn't pay because I fired them. They also added $175 for rotating an exterior door 180° because they installed it backwards & $120 for adding a door to a closet (they stated they don't put doors on closets ). They sued me for $4,295. I countered with a suit for $10K (max in small claims court). I had to pay another contractor $6,200 to fix & finish the job, plus $5K to a separate electrician, dirt guy & items that were never purchased, so $11,200 out of my pocket in addition to the funds he received.
    I had folders full of receipts & documents along w/225 photos from beginning to end. The judge told this clown he will be awarded "nothing" & that he owes me $5,700.
    Moral of the story, when you're wronged by a contractor, don't just take it. So many people told me you can't fire or sue contractors in Texas because the law is on their side. I'm here to say that's not entirely true. While I didn't get all my money back, I flipped the script on this fool by $10K (he wanted $4,295, I got $5,700).
    Last edited by LFD2037; 11-19-2019, 12:06 PM.

Well done sir. I refuse to shat upon by contractors and I applaud you resolve.

Comment

Good luck collecting.. been there done that.

Comment

Glad to see it work out for you.
        Good luck collecting the $5,700 from the contractor.

Comment

EXCELLENT!! You did your part. I hope you are successful in actually getting the money as noted above by others. Hard to get blood out of a Turnip. That contractor is probably robbing his Peter jobs to pay his Paul accounts. We live it everyday.

Comment

heck ya!

Comment

Good!!

I have the roll up doors left on mine and it's been a PIA!

Not looking forward to a full on house

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Good!!

I have the roll up doors left on mine and it's been a PIA!

Not looking forward to a full on house

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  This guy attached the whole roll up door/drum/assembly with only 10 self tapping screws in the rail guides & it was this way for 2 months! He failed to attach the drum brackets to the structure until I showed him where he failed & gave him the directions saying that must be done or the whole thing can come crashing down.

Comment

Please follow up if you can actually collect. I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely interested in whether you succeed as I've been advised by construction lawyer friends that it's almost impossible unless you're dealing with a legitimate company with substantial assets.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                      Please follow up if you can actually collect. I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely interested in whether you succeed as I've been advised by construction lawyer friends that it's almost impossible unless you're dealing with a legitimate company with substantial assets.
                      There are means of making it happen. I'll post back w/my results of the new battle! It won't be easy, or quick, but I will succeed. Liens can be placed on certain property/belongings and a suit can be filed against bank accounts. I have about 5 different angles to approach this so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out & what gets it accomplished.

Comment

Holy moly, glad I saw this. I had them provide me a bid for my 40x60 shop build. Bet of luck bud. I’m in Waxahachie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Tamales View Post
                          Holy moly, glad I saw this. I had them provide me a bid for my 40x60 shop build. Bet of luck bud. I’m in Waxahachie as well.
                          Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uun!!!!!!!!

He showed me pics of shops he had supposedly built. Watching him build mine, & the things they did, I don't believe he's ever built one before. It's that bad. I could've done it myself but it would've taken me 4 or 5 months doing it on my days off or when something wasn't going on & I didn't want to wait that long. On the contract I had him put a worst case scenario completion date. He wrote "turn key completion will be 1 month, give or take 2 weeks". I fired him @ week 16.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Tamales View Post

I can provide you the name of the contractor who did our shop in Ennis 2 years ago. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Comment

If someone wants progress payments you better study it closely. Looks like you got too far ahead on paying him. Glad the judge was on your side.

How do you collect? What mechanisms can you use?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X