Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veterans, does it make you uncomfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. I always reply “Just did my duty. It was my pleasure”....because it was...”Thank you!”

I always asked if the person thanking served...most times the response is “no...but some family member(s) are in the...whatever branch”. I thank the thanker for supporting their service member and ask them to thank their service member for me.

When I see someone wearing veteran swag...I go out of my way to thank them for their service.

Comment

Not a vet, but I am a firefighter/medic and I get weirded out when people thank me for what I do. It’s hard to explain to people that I chose this profession, that I absolutely love my job, and that the city I work for pays me way too much for what i do.

Comment

It doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable. It sure beats what our Vietnam vets came home to. I typically reply with “I appreciate your support.”

I’m no war hero but I did pledge an oath to defend my nation and its people. Nothing wrong with feeling appreciated.

Comment

This. Happened to my brother in '68. (QUOTE=Draco;14508352]It's better than getting spit on or a soft drink thrown on you. Both those happened to me in "71 when I came back I threw down twice in two different air ports. Thank goodness the air port authorities were great in both places.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by gscout01 View Post
            I'm on the same page as you. By saying **** in the chili bowl I'm talking about the vets that seek out discounts and ask any and everytime they purchase something. I've heard vets say they're getting what they're owed. I suppose that's why I feel the way I feel. I dont believe that just because you're a vet anyone owes you a single thing. I have the same feelings about the VA also. I wont use the VA because it's completely clogged with people seeking a paycheck and the truly injured dont get the care they need.
            Same here.

Comment

It doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. My reply....I"It Was My Honor"

Comment

A Vietnam Vet I know when thanked always replies “You were worth it!”

Comment

It was a Honor to have served... but (WAKE UP AMERICA)

As for your ???? I know where you coming from

Comment

My wife served. She was only in 2 years and it was peacetime. I presented the question to her.

Her response was " yes", because most enlist not because "I went instead of you" but more of "I made this choice to serve".
                    My reply to that was," the difference is you chose, I chose not too". Therefore, thank you. To her, it was an honor.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

The first time yes it did. But i was also caught off guard cause i was cougar bait and this was one heck of a cougar. She helped me, ahumm ahh, get over any awkward feelings. Now it brings a smile to my face and an old sweet memory. I still blush... from time to time.

Comment

Yes but I always say thank you, same with those when I'm on duty at fire station. If they knew some of the stuff we did while in the marines they probably wouldn't thank me....my wife saw my medical records and said "good god".......korea was fun...

Comment

On another note, I'll accept veterans discounts at some places mainly HD, Lowes. Academy (when they have it), BP and Cabela's. I don't say anything at Texas Roadhouse but my wife sometimes does.....

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                            On another note, I'll accept veterans discounts at some places mainly HD, Lowes. Academy (when they have it), BP and Cabela's. I don't say anything at Texas Roadhouse but my wife sometimes does.....
                            I dropped by Texas Roadhouse this year and the wait was an hour and a half so I passed.

Comment

I never served, but I appreciate all who have served or are currently serving. I always thank someone if I know they served. Some seem caught off guard by it, but always say thanks. One of my closest friends served in the Marines, and did a few tours in Afghanistan. Only time we’ve ever talked about it is when he’s brought it up. I’ve been with him when people have thanked him, and he always tells them thanks, but he doesn’t make too big a deal of it. I know I am sure appreciative of all our Military folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X