Golf Cart Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Cart Question

Never owned an electric vehicle but I'm in the market for a cheap ranch ride. I don't need much range but I'd like some good torque to go up and down a few hills with two fat people in it.

1) Will a 36v do it or do I need a 48v
    2) With very intermittent use how long do batteries last?
    3) I'm assuming they need to be on a constant trickle charge?
    4) Would I be better off with a gas cart and a Harbor freight Predator engine.

I'd love to have a SXS but my budget is only $2K so it looks like a either a cart or an 80's pick up are all I can afford.

48v is better for sure.
    Batteries last 5-6 years.
    Yes, best practices says to plug into charger all the time, it will self regulate to keep batteries topped off. Worst thing you can do for batteries is let them go below 50% charge.
    Gas is louder, more things to break.

Comment

48 for sure
      Even then the uphill will struggle

Trust me I built one that would pop wheelies
      Go with a gasser

Comment

You can get a lot of power, torque and relative speed out of an updated motor and controller(36 or 48v), h regardless you will need batteries about every three years. $$$$$$$$

Electric can be made to significantly outperform their gas counter parts with a few modes, but money wise you are better off finding a mule 610

Shocks are terrible also.
        Last edited by Texans42; 11-04-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I would rather have an old truck jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

An old Ezgo 36 volt series cart will climb a wall. Just don't plan to go fast. 48 volts will get you a little more run time but no more torque.

I'd rather have electric over gas all day every day. Faster, quieter, more torque, no smells, and low maintenance. Check the water level and make sure the cables are tight once a month and drive it like you stole it.

Comment

also buy a mouth guard because they will rattle your teeth loose.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                An old Ezgo 36 volt series cart will climb a wall. Just don't plan to go fast. 48 volts will get you a little more run time but no more torque.

I'd rather have electric over gas all day every day. Faster, quieter, more torque, no smells, and low maintenance. Check the water level and make sure the cables are tight once a month and drive it like you stole it.
                Experience talking !

I can’t add much, but for optimum battery life, for the first few charges you NEED to let the batteries get really low before charging. Do this 4/5 times. After that you can charge it each time you use it if you want to. I don’t, but I’m on 80 acres here and charge each time the gauge gets to 40/50%. Always monitor your water levels. The water goes to just over the tops of the plates, not up into the “ring” in the hole. This info is straight from those who know, and after owning three carts, I’ve proven it to myself. I’m on the fifth year with the batts in my EZ GO Beast and they are still strong.

Comment

I have a 36v ezgo for the house, and I put small 4wheeler tires on the back for the mud. I love the thing, have shot lots of animals off of it. Quiet is what its about for me. I have stuck it a hand full of times, the batteries make these things super heavy.

Comment

have been driving a 1990 EZ Go for many years. Just this year up graded to a EZ GO 72 volt Express 4x4 and love it.

Pros for golf cart are quiet, not as smelly as gas, you can park close to your set up, reliable, will haul a lot of weight and get you places easier that a regular vehicle would.

Cons are rough ridding son of a gun, batteries are expensive and how far can you go on a charge, not good in mud.

I always kept my cart on a built in trickle charger and was diligent in keeping batteries topped of with distilled water. Batteries last forever that way. If you don't manage your batteries well, you will after you drop a Grr on a new set.

Comment

Art listen to this guy! He knows everything you need to know regarding carts. I have one he rigged up and it’s a beast!

Comment

Headed to try and buy a 36v Ez go with four 2018 batteries and two brand new. He's asking $1,600 planning to offer $1,200 and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Made the deal. Seems like it’s a good one.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	E17C78AE-BCF9-41F5-9FB2-66F6126DA13D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	24597048

Comment

I built a 92 Yamaha G8E. Converted to 48v, new controller, HD FnR switch, #1 cables, HIGH torque motor and did some cosmetics. I bought the cart running for $650. Sold the tires and charger for $200. At the end of the day I was in it for about $3200 but it does NOT slow down up hill, will go 23 mph on flat smooth ground and is super quiet. It isn’t 4x4 so that’s a drawback but I don’t absolutely need it on my lease. I’m very pleased.

Comment

With my 1996 36v EZGO, I have to disagree. Replaced the 8” wheels with 12” and 22” tires. Torque is AWFUL. Can’t climb an ant hill. Brand new Trojan batteries. Standard controller and motor. Very disappointed. My 48v had 5x the torque. Gonna get higher amp controller and forward/reverse switch soon. Hope it helps!!

Comment

Working...
                              X