Auto Insurance Question - Diminished Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Insurance Question - Diminished Value

I bought my wife a new SUV about two weeks ago. On the 2nd or 3rd day the car was driven, she was rear ended in the school parking lot while picking up my kids.

A few people have mentioned exploring 'diminished value' to me but I have no experience with it. I do know that her car we traded in was dinged with a bad car fax report because of a similar type accident and cost us some money on trade.

Curious to hear your guy's experiences or thoughts and thanks in advance.

one factor will depend on how much the damage is to your vehicle?

Comment

As an agent, companies will not typically pay for the diminished value of a vehicle. You can definitely ask, but most of the time when it is paid, they had to get a lawyer and sue for it to settle on the value. Worth discussing with the adjuster!

Comment

Thanks for the information. I didn't think it was likely but wasn't sure of how often it occurred as I didn't know a lot about it. It's a new bumper plus some plastic underneath on an X5. 2500 or so in repairs. It just sucks that a 3 day old car got dinged.

I guess I should be glad that they had insurance and are willing to make the repairs.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Check out this website article...

CarPro Show host Jerry Reynolds shares insight into the types of diminished value. Learn more. WWW.CARPRO.COM.

Comment

USAA told me about diminished value payment when my wife had a hit and run last month they sent the paperwork to me to fill out
            Do not know what the outcome will be
            Guess it depends on Insurance carrier

Ron

Comment

I used to do diminished value reports all the time when I was a used car manager. I simply appraised the vehicle as if it had a clean car fax, and again as if it had a dirty carfac(as it eventually will when the insurance company closes the claim). Typically in my experience, the customers would tell me it was like negotiating a car deal. I would give them the appraisals, and let’s just say I had it for $2000 difference in appraisal value. Well, the insurance co. Would offer $500. Typically customers would wait it out and get $1000-$1500 back from them. I wish I knew more about the process to help, this just came from the customers I helped out.

I even had insurance agents call me to talk about it. Wish I had a law degree, I’d specialize in these... hah

Comment

Working...
              X