No announcement yet.

Sprinkler timer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Hunter has been problem free since 2006!

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff995 View Post
      We use hunter controllers exclusively. Excellent controllers for the money
      Good units. I had to replace mine after15 years. Seem like i found it on Amazon.

Comment

Another vote for the Orbit B-hyve, that way I can mess with my wife while she is sitting out in the back yard, I've never seen her move so fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Skipshot View Post
          Another vote for the Orbit B-hyve, that way I can mess with my wife while she is sitting out in the back yard, I've never seen her move so fast!

Comment

So I spend 400-500 dollars on a Smart controller then I would have to buy a $1000 phone to use it.

Thanks for the help guy's.

Comment

Orbit is $91.47 on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieTX View Post
                I have a Rainbird and its ok. If I got another it would be this:

I have a few friends that love theirs because of the app control. If you don't want a smart controller, then toro or hunter may be the best options.
                I have the Rachio and really like it

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                I see absolutely no reason for a SMART timer for sprinklers. Just set your settings and forget about it. Let it do its thing.
                The reason is because it can connect to local weather stations and skip a cycle if rain is predicted to come. Also, knows how much rain fell and based on what you tell it, it will skip some cycles due to ground saturation. So far this year I think my sprinklers have only ran 2 times due to all the rain. Last year they ran every other day, just as my cheapo timer was set to do, no matter how wet the ground was. I had to keep manually shutting it off and on

So I spend 400-500 dollars on a Smart controller then I would have to buy a $1000 phone to use it.

Thanks for the help guy's.
                I got mine for less than $200. Works with just about any smart phone, not sure you need to buy a new one, unless you are still using a flip version

I actually got mine because I was looking for a rain sensor and came across this for the same price. easy decision
                Last edited by rladner; 06-05-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I see absolutely no reason for a SMART timer for sprinklers. Just set your settings and forget about it. Let it do its thing.
                  I didn't either. Until I got one.

Seriously, the Rachio is great. Adjust to rain (and forecasted rain) without needing its own rain gauge. Also very handy when you are trying to adjust sprinkler heads. No more waling back and forth turning zone off and on. Doesn't lose time or programs due to power loss.

**EDIT** rladner beat me to it.

Comment

1. The way the weather folks have been missing the forecast around here, I wouldn't trust that part.

2. If I think it going to rain, it doesn't bother me to go to the garage and turn it off.

3. This is what I've got to work with.
                    Attached Files

Comment

ha ha

1. The way the weather folks have been missing the forecast around here, I wouldn't trust that part.

If the forecast is wrong the Rachio with run the next day to make up for it, otherwise it will run based off of what did actually happen

2. If I think it going to rain, it doesn't bother me to go to the garage and turn it off.

I just forget to turn it back on

3. This is what I've got to work with.

Not sure I have anything I can say about that

Comment

I can't run my system the next day. City will fine me for watering on the wrong day.

Comment

I can't run my system the next day. City will fine me for watering on the wrong day.
                          It gives you a notification if it is planning to skip the day because of forecasted rain. If you don't want it to skip then you can just run it anyway.

You can list days that you don't want it to run no matter what so you don't get fined. Gives you complete control over every aspect. You tell it the types of soil, the terrain (flat, sloped, etc..) type of vegetation (garden, grass, shrubs, etc...) and it figures out how much water is needed based on that info. Will even spread out your watering so you don't get run off. If it is a sloped area, instead of watering for 30 minutes straight, it may water for 15 minutes, wait an hour, then water for 15 more minutes. Stuff like that.

You also don't need a smart phone to run it. You can do it from your computer as well. I have both set up. Obviously the phone is easiest since I have it no matter where I go, but you can set it up on the website and then just forget it. Don't need your phone.

Edit: no, I don't work for or sell them I just really like the ability to water really smart instead of blindly like I was previously doing. I've saved a lot of water this year already
                          Last edited by rladner; 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I let mother nature water my yard, its much simpler.

Comment

Rainbird is a good product. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Comment

Working...
                              X