Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default Generator

Looking at generators for my cabin. Been borrowing a buddies Honda 3500w while working on cabin. it is a 12X30 lofted barn and i have a 12,000btu Window Unit currently and i'm thinking i might need to add another one in order to cool down during the hotter months.
Going to get it insulated with spray foam in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will help.
What size generator would you recommend? When the AC kicks on, it seemed to bog down the 3500w right at first. I was thinking of getting a 4,000watt but if i need to get 2 window units, i'm worried it will not run both of them.
Would like to stay under $1,000.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
drwilliams
Eight Point

I'd get a Champion 7500 at TSC for $850. I have been running a 3500 for about 8 years now and it starts up the first pull everytime. Good friend has the 4k and it's the same way. They also have the 9200w on sale right now for $1080.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
bmiller
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca

I have the champion 7500 and have been very pleased.
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Kenner97
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
I have the champion 7500 and have been very pleased.
how loud is it and does the wheel kit help when moving?
200lbs is pretty hefty!!
Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
WillowCity2506
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Willow City Loop

We run the Champion 7500 as well. Push button start. Running it last three years. Oil Changes twice a year.

The wheel kit helps, but we are only storing it about 50 from where we use it.
WillowCity2506 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Hills of Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

I use a Westinghouse 4000 watt. Runs great and provides plenty of power.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
bmiller
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca

Very easy to move on flat ground once wheels are assembled. It has a handle that folds out of the way to help with moving. It’s not quiet like an inverter, but about the same as any other 6000-7500 in this category. You can compare dba levels from the manufacturer spec sheets, and from what I’ve seen, they are all about the same.
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Once spray foamed I don't think you will need nearly as much AC as you have now. My guess you can drop to two 5-6000 btu and stay with a 3500...
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Pretty impressed with the new Firman generator we got for the fish camp. Check them out for sure. https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...rmance-series/

Your 3500 is probably bogging just on startup as it kicks on, yeah? If so no biggie. Our old Champion 3500/4000 used to do that and run fine afterwards. We bought this one though, 3650/4550 and it's smooth as butter the whole time. https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...erator-p03608/ The remote start is nice, keyfob has quite an impressive range.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Go with a 7Kw Honda Inverter Generator and be done with it.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Kenner97
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Go with a 7Kw Honda Inverter Generator and be done with it.
If my check book was unlimited it would!!🤣
Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
sneaky freak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus tx, mexico

I have a 3500 w honda generator I'm no longer needing. PM me if interested in buying. Just had it serviced. It's on wheels also
sneaky freak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
friscopaint
Ten Point

I like my harbor freight 9000kw
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #14
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Predator from HF hands down the best bang for your buck. Got one stays in the desert of west Texas, never have done anything to it except put gas and gas treatment in it. Starts 2-3 pulls every time even after sitting all summer.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #15
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana
Default Generator

My son told me about the Predator generators at Harbor Freight. He’s used them successfully at job sites. Apparently some Chinese guys reverse engineered a Honda generator and build them to sell cheaper.

Harbor Freight offers a replacement warranty if it breaks.

Consumer Reports recommends them.

https://www.consumerreports.org/inve...ter-generator/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #16
Kenner97
Ten Point

I have been looking at the harbor freight ones too.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

Get an inverter type with eco throttle if you can.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #18
techzan
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
Looking at generators for my cabin. Been borrowing a buddies Honda 3500w while working on cabin. it is a 12X30 lofted barn and i have a 12,000btu Window Unit currently and i'm thinking i might need to add another one in order to cool down during the hotter months.
Going to get it insulated with spray foam in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will help.
What size generator would you recommend? When the AC kicks on, it seemed to bog down the 3500w right at first. I was thinking of getting a 4,000watt but if i need to get 2 window units, i'm worried it will not run both of them.
Would like to stay under $1,000.
My previous 12x26 lofted (Derksen) cabin had spray foam insulation & an 8,000 BTU window unit cooled it plenty in the warm summer months in Edwards County. It was 12x26 cabin but I think 4 of those feet included the outdoor front porch. A Freight harbor 4000 watt generator powered it & never had any issues with having a few lights on, also. I had a wheel kit on the generator but it was a hassle loading & unloading it each time I went out there.
I am having a new Derksen 12x24 lofted cabin built right now for a new place in Edwards County that's getting closed cell spray foam. I got an 8,000 BTU LG wall A/C with a Freight Harbor 2,000 inverter that will easily power it & a few lights. I went with the 2000 watt inverter ($450) this time primarily since it's so freaking quiet. It's also much lighter & can be moved around easily.
I really don't think you need two 12,000 BTU air conditioners, especially since it will be insulated.
techzan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #19
Kenner97
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzan View Post
My previous 12x26 lofted (Derksen) cabin had spray foam insulation & an 8,000 BTU window unit cooled it plenty in the warm summer months in Edwards County. It was 12x26 cabin but I think 4 of those feet included the outdoor front porch. A Freight harbor 4000 watt generator powered it & never had any issues with having a few lights on, also. I had a wheel kit on the generator but it was a hassle loading & unloading it each time I went out there.
I am having a new Derksen 12x24 lofted cabin built right now for a new place in Edwards County that's getting closed cell spray foam. I got an 8,000 BTU LG wall A/C with a Freight Harbor 2,000 inverter that will easily power it & a few lights. I went with the 2000 watt inverter ($450) this time primarily since it's so freaking quiet. It's also much lighter & can be moved around easily.
I really don't think you need two 12,000 BTU air conditioners, especially since it will be insulated.
I hope so.
I should be able to have it insulated in the next few weeks. If I can get away with just the one I’m leaning towards the HF 3500 inverter or the Westinghouse 4000 inverter.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #20
Bill
Pope & Young

We’re going to be shopping for one for backup power this year. Having the house wired with an approved switch disconnecting us from the power company and having a generator plug-in on the front porch.

Living in Montana 1 1/2 miles from “nowhere” with the winters here one needs to think about it.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
We’re going to be shopping for one for backup power this year. Having the house wired with an approved switch disconnecting us from the power company and having a generator plug-in on the front porch.

Living in Montana 1 1/2 miles from “nowhere” with the winters here one needs to think about it.

Bill since you are building I’d get a fixed mount one with an ATS and dedicated panel. That way you don’t have to be turning off/on breakers when you have a power outage. Also get propane powered or dual fuel of possible.

Generac makes some reasonably priced models as a package deal.

We went with a 22KW propane powered Generac for our house with a whole house ATS and dedicated panel. We can run all lights, several plugs, (1) AC unit, microwave, water well, septic system and all refrigeration in the house if we get into an extended power outage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #22
Bill
Pope & Young

Can I ask what a 22KW propane generator costs? Thanks for suggestion.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #23
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:

Unless you have a natural gas line, you need to figure out if you will be able to reliably get propane delivered 1 to 2 times a week if you have an outage. Or a backup to your backup. Those 22K Propane($5K) will go thru 60-85 gallons of propane per 24 hours. 99% of outages around here are less than 4 hours and I would love to have one, but I have also been out for three weeks. During that I learned a good bit about living off a generator. First thing replace ALL lights with LEDs. I can survive with one Honda 2000, but it takes a lot more work. Winter I have propane heat, and summer I have two 5600 btu window units in the shop that can be installed in a window. It's a lot of work to save fuel $, but when running days on end it adds up in a hurry. I have two honda 2000, a honda 3500 welder/generator, and 10500 Miller welder/generator. The Honda 2000 go thru about 2.5 gallons/day. The Honda 3500 goes thru about 18 gallons/day. I haven't ran the Miller enough to know about it yet. If you have a tractor, you might also look at PTO generators.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
Bill
Pope & Young

I’m going to talk to neighbors, see what the history of power outages are- I believe infrequent. Power is underground, no hurricanes but high winds.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #25
BigDraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Colorado

Whatever you buy, I would look at a propane conversion. Ethanol contaminated fuel has ruined the gas tank on mine. You will never have to worry about the fuel going bad again.
BigDraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #26
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:

We had a 22k generac installed on our house 3 years ago. The generator, dedicated panel & transfer switch etc ran us about $6500.00 installed. This was on a new build and it’s rated to carry the entire house (3100 sq feet), septic etc. we live in a rural setting and have a propane tank. The price wasn’t including the propane tank (we lease it). The price for installing the propane line to the house was $3.25 a foot. The only thing we have in propane is our hot water heater, stove top & generator. They can use allot of propane on full load but imo a full load is very unlikely in our situation. If I remember correctly on full load it can use 3.6 gallons per hour. We had a 3 day outage after a tornado hit our area last summer and in our situation we used approximately 2% per day out of our 500 gallon tank.
We have frequent outages in inclement weather due to the many trees around our rural area. Money well spent in our situation to keep the comforts of home available.

Last edited by tps7742; 01-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top