Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #2151
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Nice Bass
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #2152
Clay C
Ten Point

Default How many fly fishermen on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
Attachment 1Attachment 1Attachment 987962Attachment 987961Attachment 987960

I fly fish all the time, mostly golf courses and ditches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of my most fond memories are fly fishing golf courses with my Dad. The one where I grew up had a lake with street lights on the bank. We would ďsneakĒ on the course at night and sight fish to hybrid bluegills and bass throwing hoppers.

So...much...fun

Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #2153
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

You bad boy.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #2154
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
You bad boy.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:11 AM   #2155
Draco
Pope & Young

I'll be giving a seminar on fly fishing for bigger bass to the Austin Fly Fishing Club this Thursday night at 7. It's funny and informative. If you're in the area, stop by.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #2156
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Name:  IMG_6194.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  117.1 KBName:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  127.5 KBName:  IMG_9039.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  199.2 KB

All from the golf course by my house.

3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #2157
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Attachment 987989Attachment 987988Attachment 987987

All from the golf course by my house.

Nice what weight are you using for that type of fishing?

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #2158
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Nice what weight are you using for that type of fishing?

Sierracharlie outÖ
Itís a little over kill but I use 5-6wt.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #2159
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:

Nice!

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #2160
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
I use my 5wt for bass most of the time. Comes in handy with closures and bigger bait fiat patterns

My old 3 was more fun but I left it in a rental car in Denver and amazingly they couldnít find it
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #2161
Vermin93
Ten Point

Hunt In: North TX, OK, TN

Just got back from a fun week at Christmas Island. I was finally able to land a nice trigger. Iíd guess my success ratio was about 1 in 40 tries. Going after them is addicting and super frustrating, but I love it!

Vermin93 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #2162
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Wow
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #2163
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

A Trigger Fish on a flyrod! Wow
Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #2164
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Christmas and Seychelles are bucket list trips for sure!

Great fish. I fell like 1/40 for a trigger ain’t bad
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #2165
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin93 View Post
Just got back from a fun week at Christmas Island. I was finally able to land a nice trigger. Iíd guess my success ratio was about 1 in 40 tries. Going after them is addicting and super frustrating, but I love it!

Cool beans! Congratulations!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #2166
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:

WoW!!!!!! Thatís really impressive!!!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:16 AM   #2167
Vermin93
Ten Point

Funny story from the trip...

After 3 days of chasing triggers (and probably 150 shots at them) my buddy finally hooked a really nice one on his 9 wt with 20 lb. The fish was ripping line and darting all over the flat looking for a hole. Eventually the fish hightailed it off the flat into the deeper water and went into a hole. My buddy couldnít budge the fish and he thought it was game over. The guide told him to strip out some backing, let it go slack and then wait. Sure enough, about 15 minutes later the line started moving. The trigger had come out of the hole and the fight was back on! It was high fives all around when my buddy finally landed that fish.

There were guys on the trip that literally had hooks snapped in half by triggers. They are super cool fish and will drive you bonkers trying to catch them. Iím convinced some of the big ones are almost uncatchable, lol.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #2168
Paycheck
Ten Point

I never thought about it but I think you could not turn that fish with a warn winch.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #2169
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:

After 3 days of chasing triggers (and probably 150 shots at them) my buddy finally hooked a really nice one on his 9 wt with 20 lb. The fish was ripping line and darting all over the flat looking for a hole. Eventually the fish hightailed it off the flat into the deeper water and went into a hole. My buddy couldnít budge the fish and he thought it was game over. The guide told him to strip out some backing, let it go slack and then wait. Sure enough, about 15 minutes later the line started moving. The trigger had come out of the hole and the fight was back on! It was high fives all around when my buddy finally landed that fish.

There were guys on the trip that literally had hooks snapped in half by triggers. They are super cool fish and will drive you bonkers trying to catch them. Iím convinced some of the big ones are almost uncatchable, lol.

Yaíll go after any GTs?
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #2170
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

I've had them do the same thing. Really annoying.

Congrats! Looks like an awesome trip and that is a great fish.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #2171
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:

I'd love to hear more details about the trip. Where you flew out of an to, how many connections. Lodging, guide, transfers, license. Were you tapering only trigger? Bonefish? Permit? I've only fished for bonefish once. Not a positive outcome for me. Thanks in advance...
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #2172
Vermin93
Ten Point

This was my second trip to Christmas Island. I went last year at the same time with the same group. I flew from Dallas to Honolulu on Sunday. There is one flight a week from Honolulu to CXI on Fiji Airways. The flight costs about $1200 round trip. It runs every Tue, so you go for a week at a time, although some guys were there for 2 weeks. I stayed in Honolulu for 2 nights on the front end of the trip, so there is a hotel cost along with round trip airfare to Honolulu. I used frequent flyer miles to cover all flights and hotels, so that made the trip a lot less costly.

The trip was hosted by Front Range Anglers out of Boulder, CO. Itís a professional operation with a phenomenal fly shop. You can visit their website to see trip costs and whatís included. Our trip was sponsored by Scott rods, so we got a new Sector in the weight of our choice for half price. I got the 8 wt and it was a dream to cast on the flats. Itís the rod I used 98% of the time on the trip.

I would say the current state of the Christmas Island fishery is challenging. There is no doubt that it receives quite a bit of pressure, and I believe itís evident in the spookiness of all species. There may have been days of 20+ bonefish in the past, but my experience is that such days are very far from the norm. Larger bonefish were relatively difficult to entice, even during a favorable tide. Also, the number of bonefish is probably not what some people envision. At times you are really working to find fish. Itís possible to find areas with a more consistent number of small bones, but catching small bones isnít why most people are there.

I spent a of lot of time chasing triggers because they are there in really good numbers and I was determined to catch a handful. On good trigger flats with a favorable tide, itís hard to find bonefish because of the water depth and the rocky bottom. You will occasionally see one and sometimes they will take a trigger fly. Triggers are relatively easy to see, but they will pick you off like a mature whitetail and bolt for the deep water and the safety of a hole. Ninja tactics, a good cast, and a little luck are needed to get them even interested in a fly, let alone to get them to eat it. Well over half the time the fish would simply see the fly and hightail it to the deep water. Spookiest fish Iíve ever pursued. It is really exciting and satisfying to hook one, let alone land one.

Where I feel a lot of people have inflated expectations is with GTís. Unless you are a private client able to book one of the few elite GT guides on the island, then I feel you need a lot of luck to catch a good one. There was one repeat client at our lodge who had booked such a guide. They searched for GTís primarily from a boat in the deep water pockets and channels around the flats. That allowed them to cover a lot of water. He caught double-digit GTís and some of them were absolute monsters. But thatís all he did all week. For everyone else at the lodge, GT fishing primarily consisted of walking the edge of flats and lagoons hoping that a GT would emerge from the deep water. During the week I think I averaged about 1 sighting a day, with most between 20 - 50 pounds. However, my sightings always came while I was fishing my 8 wt for bones or triggers. That requires you to switch rods, strip line and get a cast off before the GT is gone or before he sees you and spooks. You have seconds to make it happen, and itís very hard. I got about 4 good casts at them during the week, but the fish never committed to the fly. Out of our group of 22 guys, I think 4 or 5 different guys caught a GT worth mentioning. Some of those guys were first-time saltwater casters who capitalized on beginners luck and a hungry fish. One day a group of 5 very experienced saltwater casters went on a dedicated GT hunt. They covered a lot of flats and nobody caught one. When somebody does get a nice one itís pretty special and thereís a lot of celebrating at the lodge because catching them is not a common occurrence.

The place itself is really cool. Pictures donít do it justice. The flats are simply gorgeous and several literally go on for miles. The guides at our lodge were very knowledgeable and exceptional at seeing fish. Iíve developed friendships with a few of the them. They are great people and really try to help you find and catch fish.

To sum it up, I would say that if high numbers of caught fish are what somebody is after, then Christmas Island probably shouldnít be at the top of their list. There was one day when I chased triggers and big bones. I had lots of shots at triggers and a few big bones, but I ended up completely skunked. But, I had an absolute blast trying to catch those triggers. On 2 other days I only landed 3 or 4 bonefish of average size. They were still very fun days. Everyone had days like this. I probably hooked 5 or 6 big bones during the week, but they all broke off. I lost 3 nice triggers.

Overall Iíve developed a real fondness for the place. I like the challenging nature of the resident fish, the phenomenal scenery and the laid back guides. I love being able to walk for hours on a single flat. The camaraderie at the lodge is great. I just love the whole experience and adventure. But, it is a lot of money to spend and I think people should have the right kind of expectations. Our group is already talking about plans for next year. Weíre not sure if we will return or try a new destination. Vacation days are precious and we only have so many of them, which is why I need to retire ASAP so I can fish more!

Here are some typical Christmas Island bonefish. Check out the flat - itís just gorgeous!

Last edited by Vermin93; 01-23-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #2173
3DW5
Pope & Young

Awesome write up, the difficulty in landing one of these awesome creatures is what makes it so fun!!!! Christmas Island is on my list now!!!
Old 01-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #2174
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Awesome write up, the difficulty in landing one of these awesome creatures is what makes it so fun!!!! Christmas Island is on my list now!!!
All of this!!! Thanks for the info.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top