Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Leaverrite
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Irrigation Design Question

Working through an irrigation design for my home and have a question.

I have 3/4 pvc sch40 supply line to house. I have ~55psi static. I can bucket test to 12GPM through a hose bib (which exceeds recommended flow rate of 5 ft/sec of 3/4" pvc). Pipe charts recommend 8GPM MAX, which I feel limits my options for my sprinkler system design.

I want to design my irrigation system with 1" PVC Mains and Tee it close to the meter (to limit pressure loss in the longer 3/4" service line). My other option is to design the system at 8 GPM and T the 3/4" closer to the house.

Question: If I Tee the 3/4 service pipe 2-3ft from the meter and design my irrigation system at 9-10gpm, could that damage my home plumbing system inside the house(upstream of of the T)? I would think the 2-3ft section of 3/4" pvc would take the brunt of higher flow damage (if any). I know the irrigation system 1" piping would see a water hammer when the valve shuts, but would the pressure spike all the way back though the long run of 3/4" to the house and interior plumbing?

Any advice appreciated. Also, is it common to slightly exceed the 5 ft/sec pvc rule? Thanks!
Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
mattjproc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

What’s the backflow requirement there? If you have an rpz I would think any pressure variation in irrigation line vs supply line will cause the device to dump and not effect pressure in the supply line side.
mattjproc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top