Frying Pan River Fly Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frying Pan River Fly Fishing

Headed up to Colorado the first week of August to camp at the Chapman Dam Campground with my wife, son, and my older brother. Anybody do any fly fishing on the stretch of the Frying Pan north of Ruedi Reservoir? This section is not “gold medal” but should still hold a good amount of fish. South of Ruedi is the start of gold medal waters down into Basalt where it joins the Roaring Fork river.

Any tips on patterns for that time of year? Im fairly new to fly fishing trout streams. Mostly panfish and bass here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't fish but I Elk hunted the area last year.. pretty country .

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
      I didn't fish but I Elk hunted the area last year.. pretty country .

Very much so. Camped at the same campground back in 2009 before i started fly fishing. Saw elk, mule deer, and moose all from camp. Neat area.

Comment

I've fished it several times, but always below the res. Further down you go is pocket water, but still a lot of excellent water. That time of year you should do well on caddis and hoppers as well as the usual hopper/dropper rigs.

Comment

I've always fished the toilet bowl in cold weather. I hear its lake fishing above there is where its at in the summer.

Comment

I always go to the local fly shop and ask them what is working and then have them sell it to me. That way they feel better about giving out information.

I almost always have something like a grasshopper or stimulator on top with something similar to a beaded hairs ear nymph below. Sometimes I run two droppers (18" and 36") below depending upon the water depth. I like the flashback on the nymphs. Most of my fish are caught on the droppers.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
              I always go to the local fly shop and ask them what is working and then have them sell it to me. That way they feel better about giving out information.

I almost always have something like a grasshopper or stimulator on top with something similar to a beaded hairs ear nymph below. Sometimes I run two droppers (18" and 36") below depending upon the water depth. I like the flashback on the nymphs. Most of my fish are caught on the droppers.

Thanks for the info. I was not really thinking of grasshoppers. My train of though was mostly on a streamer of some sort baitfish imitation.
              The campground has a nice reservoir on it that is stocked periodically and dumps into the frying pan upstream of Ruedi reservoir. I have fished Ruedi where the river dumps into the lake in 2009 with spinning gear and did well but never below it.

I need to do some research on double rigs. I have no clue how to rig a multiple fly setup.

Comment

Late summer is a great time to tie on something big like a hopper or a caddis. Nymph droppers, as mentioned, are very effective. I usually don't tie them on unless I just have to though. I LOVE dry flies - especially when they're big and easy to see. There's nothing like a topwater take.

I'm planning a trip to the Conejos in late September. Crowds gone, aspens yellow, elk bugling, crisp mornings, big dry flies.... Can't wait!

Comment

Speaking of big dry flies..... I just got a text from a buddy....

28" long 16" girth...8+ lbs caught on a large dry! San Juan River NM.

Last edited by Shane; 07-22-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

That is a JUMBO. I wonder when school lets back in in Colorado. There were quite a few camp spots still open so we are hoping there wont be huge crowds com early August

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      I've always fished the toilet bowl in cold weather. I hear its lake fishing above there is where its at in the summer.

I have watched a few YT videos of the toilet bowl. Looks like a popular spot. We are camping just a few miles upstream of there and should be able to get in early enough to beat any crowd. I heard it gets elbow to elbow sometimes in there but the big fish really seem to be there year round with the water let out even if minimal

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                        I have watched a few YT videos of the toilet bowl. Looks like a popular spot. We are camping just a few miles upstream of there and should be able to get in early enough to beat any crowd. I heard it gets elbow to elbow sometimes in there but the big fish really seem to be there year round with the water let out even if minimal

Absolutely I have caught my biggest trout in there. Not traditional fly fishing but its a whole lot of fun.

I've gotten there at 2am and not be the first one in. Literally elbow to elbow by daylight.

Comment

Working...
                        X