Mazda 6 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda 6 help

My girlfriends 2006 Mazda 6, has 136k miles on it is having, what I believe as, transmission issues. Before I diagnose it with that, since I’m no mechanic I’d like to get yalls opinions or maybe expertise if there is any mechanic that will know. The car seems to jump/sputter almost as if it’s trying to downshift if you are in 6th gear and going up a slight incline and need a little “go”. Almost as if the car is trying to downshift but can’t decide or just can’t, then it skips 5th gear and goes to 4th. It’s not as if your foot is jammed into the throttle where it would make sense to downshift to 4th, just a slight get up. It also sometimes will completely skip over 5th as you drive normally. The other issue is from a stop, it doesn’t seem to want to go, again, a slight stutter or as of the transmission is lost. Just for reference, I’ve replaced the fuel pump and filter. Haven’t decided whether I should change the spark plugs and injectors, because I’m just not sure it’s a fuel delivery issue, just doesn’t feel like it to me. I am hesitant to take it to a mechanic because I don’t trust most of them, so I thought I’d try and get yalls opinions? Anyone?

I would start with spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. It sounds like more of an electrical issue. Is it throwing any codes/check engine light?

If that doesn't fix it, replace the fuel filter, then look at new injectors. All of these things are pretty common maintenance items that get overlooked. I honestly doubt it's the transmission.

Good luck!

Comment

Not sure what motor that has but sounds like it could also be a low level misfire caused by a bad coil. Have seen that happen on other Ford engines. Not enough to throw a code but can cause a shuttering feel when engine under load.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        I would start with spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. It sounds like more of an electrical issue. Is it throwing any codes/check engine light?

If that doesn't fix it, replace the fuel filter, then look at new injectors. All of these things are pretty common maintenance items that get overlooked. I honestly doubt it's the transmission.

Good luck!
        No codes but engine light will come on randomly. We will start there, if not then we have replaced fuel filter and pump, we will go to injectors next. The only reason I say transmission is because of the feel behind it and all the bad transmission reviews the car has

Comment

Go get the codes current and history read for free at any auto parts store. Post the codes here before you go throwing $100's into unnecessary parts.

Comment

you can try the shudder stop transmission fix. $10 bucks at any auto parts store before you throw a lot of money in the transmission. Thats if it is the transmissio and not electrical.

Comment

Working...
            X