Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Default Drainage issue input needed

Ok, recently moved into a home built in 1995 and it's been a big detective job on lots of items. The original owners were in poor health the last few years and the kids we got the house from just didn't have answers to lots of things.

On this topic, I'm responsible (according to HOA) for a drain that is on my property in a drainage easement. It would have been put in by the developer so could be 25 to 35 years old. This brings water from ditches on both sides of our street down the side of my house and ultimately underground to get it down to the river. It works well as it was all cleaned out over the winter. I took pics a couple of weeks ago on a day when we had 4" rain in 2 hours. The problem is, the underground pipe terminates about 30" underground, leaving a huge and dangerous hole in the yard that is unprotected and holds water even on dry days. I can't believe this was the original design. Did this pipe just sink over the years? It has some rock placed over the top too which is obviously intentional.

So, this is I believe 3 sections of 20' pipe. I'm thinking it need to be dug out, raised with rock underneath so that it exits the slope at some point higher up, horizontally and not in a hole where the water has to be pushed up.

Last edited by TexaRican; 07-19-2021 at 09:44 AM.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

It's really hard to tell what all is going on just from the pictures but it sounds like the pipe may have collapsed between the drop inlet and the outfall. It looks like they used galvanized pipe which will rust out and allow collapse. Secondly, it looks like the water is being allowed to sheet flow overland instead of confining to a designated drainage channel/ ditch. If the system is in a dedicated drainage easement who is the easement dedicated to? If it's the HOA then they need to pay for the repairs.
dawgkllr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

From my best guess at pics it seems like it’s more of a spillway,fills up and pours out.Guessing they did that because of some kind of elevation or slope issue or just ignorance.With out knowing all elevations and falls it’s hard for me to suggest any one thing.If it drains the way it is I would think you could just put a catch basin right there with a grate that would allow water to pour out the top and then on down or put a discharge pipe out of said catch basin and run to nearest out fall and if it backs up it can still escape out top of catch basin.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
hog_down
Ten Point

That looks like a terrible design, sorry. Can you draw us a map? and is that a lake in the background of pic #3?
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

A good concrete guy could set it up similar to a drain on the side of a road. Cap it off and build a box inside and have a storm drain similar to the ones in streets as the inlet. Not gonna be cheap but definitely possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Is that a your back yard all the way to the water or is it a park/common area. If it's a park or common area it is not your responsibility. If they say it is your responsibility why not close it off at the street and send the water somewhere else?
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #7
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Agree with dawgkllr.

OP, that design isn't uncommon. I worked on a project in Austin where a creek (Waller Creek) drains into a tunnel, before exiting at Ladybird Lake. That's exactly how that system (On a much bigger scale) is built. Basically the pressure of water at the top pushes water out on the bottom. I suspect it has something to do with safety, but I am not sure. In your case, it would slow the velocity of the water coming out of the pipe so that it doesn't erode the bank. However it doesn't look like it's working very well.

Good luck!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
Farmdog
Pope & Young

Its good that you notice and figure out how it works. I farm land around drainage ditches & floodways and it amazes me how little understanding there is. Its a good lawyers dream Everyone needs to be concerned, then People might stop dumping tires and trash and wondering why there is two ft of water in the living room. These 10 inch rain events are hard to handle, good luck getting your situation fixed!
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I’d more concerned that situation looks like a scary liability. Kids playing in a heavy rainfall could easily get swept into that open drainage setup. Surprised that exists as wide open an accessible as it appears
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Up closer to the top of the pipe they put some fill dirt in where water eroded the ground around the pipe. This is believed to have been caused by water coming over the top when the pipe entry was clogged up. Anyway, that dirt is now caving in and causing hazard as well.
I dropped a light down the pipe to inspect and canít see any collapse. It does bend to a point where I canít see to the very end but with the way water comes out of the hole at the bottom I think the pipe is ok.
Itís probably a 10 foot drop from the pipe entry 60 feet down the slope to the exit.

Yes, that is all my property and that is the Brazos river at near flood stage in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #11
RR 314
Pope & Young

I would want verification/documentation that you are purportedly responsible for maintenance. Do any “repairs” have to be pre-approved by HOA?
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Your description is a little confusing. Is that picture with the hole the entrance or exit of the drain? It looks like a catch basin.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
JhuntsAlot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

So the neighborhood uses the sides of your house and backyard as major method to clear water from it?

.....By design? Wow

IMO, I dont think that pipe is large enough for that kind of expected coverage of a Texas downpour.

If it is being forced into that collection area for diverting, is it possible to just let it run over the grass?

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #14
TexaRican
Pope & Young

I was told by the office that does construction permits that the drain is mine. Other home owners with similar setups have been told the same. Is it legal? Not sure but I know our property association will do anything they can to shirk responsibility (expense).

I can’t do video but here is a screenshot of video I took the day we had 4 inches in 2 hours. It works well for my section of road. In places where folks don't keep their ditches and driveway culverts cleaned out houses just flood.
Yeah, my heartburn over the whole deal is the “my” drain keeps a dozen or more houses from flooding but all the expense falls on me. Thinking I might start a gofundme and hit up the neighbors. I’m sure this will be expensive.

Pipe entry

Pipe exit

Last edited by TexaRican; 07-19-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Iíd more concerned that situation looks like a scary liability. Kids playing in a heavy rainfall could easily get swept into that open drainage setup. Surprised that exists as wide open an accessible as it appears
That is my main concern and really the only reason I'm planning improvements here. Minimum and absolute critical item is some kind of bars over that pipe entry. Kid would get sucked down and drown before anybody could get there to help and not much you could do to help.

Second hugh liability is somebody walking or driving a mower into the exit hole. It's 30" deep and now probably 40" diameter.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
ramrod
Eight Point

Could you just put bar grating over the entire top lip?
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
txchuck
Six Point

First thing, Fence that off before someone gets hurt.
txchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #18
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

[QUOTE=TexaRican;15708467]I was told by the office that does construction permits that the drain is mine. Other home owners with similar setups have been told the same. Is it legal? Not sure but I know our property association will do anything they can to shirk responsibility (expense).

I canít do video but here is a screenshot of video I took the day we had 4 inches in 2 hours. It works well for my section of road. In places where folks don't keep their ditches and driveway culverts cleaned out houses just flood.
Yeah, my heartburn over the whole deal is the ďmyĒ drain keeps a dozen or more houses from flooding but all the expense falls on me. Thinking I might start a gofundme and hit up the neighbors. Iím sure this will be expensive.

I would go back and look at your lot survey to determine if there are any dedicated easements shown. Also check with the county for any easements filed after the lot was developed. the drainage system along the street is a "designed" system which SHOULD have been designed from beginning to end (outfall to the creek). Your property is being negatively impacted (catching additional flow volume from the drainage area caused by development of properties upstream. If that was the plan all along then an easement should have been added to your property. I can't recall a property owner being legally responsible for installing and or maintaining a public utility unless agreed to in writing. Your HOA is typical of every HOA out there. They like to pass the buck on anything that is going to cost them money. They'll threaten you with all kinds of legal action until you either fix it yourself or lawyer up.
On top of this, storm drain systems are designed by engineers (or supposed to be) to carry a certain amount of from a certain rain event (i.e a 25, 50, 100 year storm event). Many times outside of a city's limits (and sometimes within) this is left up to an employee who comes out and looks at it then advises what size culvert(s) should be installed. The individual typically uses the WAG (wild arse guess) method to make the determination. A 4 inch rain event in two hours is going to be well over the carrying capacity of the pipe size you've shown in your picture (this comment is based on my experience with a sprinkling of WAG thrown in for good measure )
dawgkllr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #19
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
Up closer to the top of the pipe they put some fill dirt in where water eroded the ground around the pipe. This is believed to have been caused by water coming over the top when the pipe entry was clogged up. Anyway, that dirt is now caving in and causing hazard as well.
I dropped a light down the pipe to inspect and can’t see any collapse. It does bend to a point where I can’t see to the very end but with the way water comes out of the hole at the bottom I think the pipe is ok.
It’s probably a 10 foot drop from the pipe entry 60 feet down the slope to the exit.

Yes, that is all my property and that is the Brazos river at near flood stage in the background.

I do not believe this is the end of your pipe. The end is farther out there somewhere and I'm pretty sure its blocked due to being collapsed. The current "outlet" of the pipe is just a rotted out hole in the pipe where the water has pushed to the surface. I could be wrong but I'm afraid that whole thing needs rebuilt.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
I do not believe this is the end of your pipe. The end is farther out there somewhere and I'm pretty sure its blocked due to being collapsed. The current "outlet" of the pipe is just a rotted out hole in the pipe where the water has pushed to the surface. I could be wrong but I'm afraid that whole thing needs rebuilt.
That pic is up closer to the pipe entry point. At the end in the big hole I can see the pipe end. It is not collapsed and is obviously purposely done that way with stone surrounding the end.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #21
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
That pic is up closer to the pipe entry point. At the end in the big hole I can see the pipe end. It is not collapsed and is obviously purposely done that way with stone surrounding the end.
I understand now...
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #22
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I bet the pipe blew out from being undersized for the rain water drainage and bubbles up and over yard creating issue (Picture from post #10).

I would be asking to see documentation that home owner is responsible for drainage and I would also be verifying that with survey, easement documentation and county drainage district. Sure seems like hogwash that your responsible for drainage on your street.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #23
JhuntsAlot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

If you put a decent/bright shop light at the entry point, can you take a picture up the pipe from the exit point?

Post if you can.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #24
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Good luck Mr Rican. If no documentation could be presented to me…Id rip out the pipe and use the trench left behind and grade a swale. Much more efficient and much less dangerous for moving water.

I wonder how often that pipe has to be cleaned. Some folks call those things drain tiles…it sure can be called a liability.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #25
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Unfortunately the documentation is in the rules and covenants I signed when moving here. Did I read it all then? No
Should the realtor who got a fat check just for showing me 3 houses have investigated this and alerted me? Heck yes.
(above is why I hate our scam real estate system and DID NOT use a sellers agent when I sold my last 3 homes)

Old 07-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

I can't believe your responsible for repairs. Should fall on the owner of the easement to maintain it. You didn't build/design it. Think talking to an attorney would be a good start.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #27
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

So if your outlet is lower than the river height I don't believe your inlet will drain and is why you are backing up. I'm in a similar situation with the subdivision outlets get covered up by creek and the storm drains back up into the streets.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #28
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

I got the same exact problem, contact a private engineer, and county or city engineer, ask for them to figure out what to do for safety purposes and erosion prevention
My problem was result of up stream developments
Ultimately a engineer is going to have to design the fix
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #29
CJ776
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

Lemme quarterback this.

1. You have stone/conc spillway/open channel that collects drainage from road/upstream drainage areas. slopes down from road in your pic.
2. This moderate slope spillway collects into a catch basin.
3. The catch basin provides a ~2í drop (more?) from spillway lip to pipe outfall.
4. Catch basin outfall pipe goes underground for a while then THAT outfall is basically a hole.
5. Catch basin and underground pipe eventually fills with water and eventually water comes out of dumbazz hole outfall at end.
6. Water overflows from dumbazz hole then sheet flows on down to brazos?

Why didnít they just take that spillway and continue the slope down to point where it can drain to the brazos? If you have .5-1% slope on a spillway with curbs like that, that dog will drain all day. Seems like a BS way to cut cost on longer spillway. If nothing else it was a terrible design.

Does your catch basin on 3. Backup such that it floods your driveway during big gully washer rain?

Send me the survey you got when you purchased the house. Will take a look for you RE the easement. You have title report with exemption schedule?

HOA should have original subdivision plans but if itís from 1955....who knows

Civil engineer here. Can take a quick look if youíd like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #30
CJ776
Eight Point

1995. Not 1955. Should have plans for sure! Get Em.

Are you in city limits?

You have learned that a realtor doesnít give a crap about your property other than closing. 99% know absolutely nothing about residential design/development/or construction.

99% of land development civil engineering design is grading and drainage. The rest is stuff that anyone with HS degree can be taught to do.

Anyone else in the neighborhood have similar outfall condition?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:39 PM   #31
CJ776
Eight Point

The band aid fix is to mortar or anchor in hog wire or rebar in catch basin stone to prevent kid/pet drowning and clean up and re-sod grades at outfall for positive drainage.

Middle fix would be your fix. Tear out pipe and reset grade at catch basin and do rock rip rap at pipe outfall and clean up and resod grades. You might not have any cover on pipe tho.

Best fix would be to fill catch basin and extend stone or conc spillway at existing grade for a bit, mortar in rock or put down lots of rip rap stone at spillway lip (existing catch basin taking a lot of energy out of all that water rushing down) and clean up grades for positive drainage and resod.

Wouldnít really be too worried if no flooding at your place. All this work can be done by the right landscaper who does drainage.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #32
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

Upstream looks like a bubba'd way to do a drop inlet without putting in an inlet. The "outfall" looks like it at one time, maybe, could have been at grade with a swale to sheet flow to the river. No protection, so it eroded out and made a hole. Having dealt with them on drainage for many years, I'd guess whichever developer did this nickel and dimed it instead of putting a run of pipe all the way to the river. Either way, I'd get an engineer involved. If it is draining more than just your lot, this isn't something you can get joe's lawn service to fix.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #33
TexaRican
Pope & Young

CJ and FVR thanks for the input. HOA has a huge file on my property I saw when I got my small driveway extension. I will stop by and ask to see if the original plans are in there.
No water problems, just safety concerns. I also theorized that the pipe outfall was originally at grade and eroded down. At some point stones were added on top but why?

Here is the outfall tonight. On a dry day you can see the entire pipe but it rained yesterday and obviously holds water. Perhaps there are stones underneath and on the sides as if it originally exited through a wall? Iíll dig some out when it dries up a bit.

Any change to the design is restricted by the rules and covenants. I have to be careful with my inquiry as Iíll be ****ed if I have to pay them another construction permit fee.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:12 PM   #34
CJ776
Eight Point

Quote:
CJ and FVR thanks for the input. HOA has a huge file on my property I saw when I got my small driveway extension. I will stop by and ask to see if the original plans are in there.
No water problems, just safety concerns. I also theorized that the pipe outfall was originally at grade and eroded down. At some point stones were added on top but why?

Here is the outfall tonight. On a dry day you can see the entire pipe but it rained yesterday and obviously holds water. Perhaps there are stones underneath and on the sides as if it originally exited through a wall? Iíll dig some out when it dries up a bit.

Any change to the design is restricted by the rules and covenants. I have to be careful with my inquiry as Iíll be ****ed if I have to pay them another construction permit fee.

the stones on top are probably from a head wall. you could explore around the stones and see if you can find the outline of the old head wall. if you dig around that outfall pipe for positive drainage you should be good to go.

landscaper work or your own back work. just resod with new or existing sod if you can cut it. rebar anchored across drop inlet in large grid to prevent little kid from falling thru won't have any issues on the drainage

Old 07-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #35
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ776 View Post
the stones on top are probably from a head wall. you could explore around the stones and see if you can find the outline of the old head wall. if you dig around that outfall pipe for positive drainage you should be good to go.

landscaper work or your own back work. just resod with new or existing sod if you can cut it. rebar anchored across drop inlet in large grid to prevent little kid from falling thru won't have any issues on the drainage

The more I investigate the more I suspect Iíll be out there with a shovel - bad back and all. Neighbor is a local coach and looks like a bodybuilder. His 1 year old is my top safety concern and Iím certain I can recruit him for help. Got some strong teen boys I can hire hourly too.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #36
TexaRican
Pope & Young

So dang frustrating. That is not a head wall, at least not much of one. It goes less than a foot past what you see in either direction. This is not the pipe end. Somebody cut an opening here. Using rebar I can feel the pipe down to where it is in the pic and lose it after that.
HOA has original plans for my house but not for infrastructure the developer installed prior to homes. At least they canít ding me for changing the original design.
Got tree service coming Tuesday and Iíll start looking for somebody to bid this work after that. No clue what needs to be done now but nothing DIY for sure.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #37
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Now after these pictures I would say have a swale cut from there to the river? You might lose the tree but not that time consuming for a good operator. How far from the last picture to the river? Also need to know grades to give you really good information.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #38
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Grades and distances.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #39
Txhunter3000
Four Point

I have done the same thing in reverse to fill a stock tank. You have to know the grades and what you're working with.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #40
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Well that opening on the pipe is probably 80 to 100 feet or so down to the main drop that would be the normal high water mark on the river bank. The hole is cut on a bit of a hump but overall itís on a very gradual downslope varying from maybe 2 to 5 degrees.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #41
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
So the neighborhood uses the sides of your house and backyard as major method to clear water from it?

.....By design? Wow

IMO, I dont think that pipe is large enough for that kind of expected coverage of a Texas downpour.

If it is being forced into that collection area for diverting, is it possible to just let it run over the grass?

J
would not want that house
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #42
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
would not want that house

Good drainage input here! SMH.

The guy asked for help. Not youíre negative opinion on his new home. Come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #43
CJ776
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
Now after these pictures I would say have a swale cut from there to the river? You might lose the tree but not that time consuming for a good operator. How far from the last picture to the river? Also need to know grades to give you really good information.

Yep. Good advice here. If you have the grade you can do it from bush league cut in pipe. If not youíre going to have to chase grade up and cut and reinstall pipe and do outfall correctly