Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX
Default I wanna buy your house

As I approached the age of 65, I started getting junk mail and calls (and yes i have registered with the do not call list) from sellers of: Life insurance, health insurance, medicare medical supplies,all things that seniors use, among others.
Also started getting offers to buy my house. Not interested in selling my house. It's paid for, why would I sell? Just wonderin, are the home buyers targeting retirement age folk hopin to cash in on the boom/bust and buy a smaller place? Or are they soliciting everyone just because of the housing market right now. Either way, I wish they would stop with the phone calls and letters. I get almost as many letters as phone calls!
People of all ages chime in!

Last edited by locolobo; 06-23-2021 at 07:25 PM.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Rotney
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I like to play with them. I ask a price they come back a couple of hundred thousand less than my ask and I tell them I can put a sign in my yard and sell it close to what I’m asking.

They are wanting to find the uninformed and take advantage of them.
Rotney is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
Maddox
Ten Point

It’s not just retired folks. I’ve received two hand written letters from known local realtors this month asking me to sell my house.
Maddox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
MillsJake
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.

Im 28 and i get calls and text all the time for my house and houses that i dont even own.
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

We made the mistake of listing our house for sale in 2014 and changed our minds when we discovered the total trash that was also on the market for sale. Since then, it’s been a nightmare getting them off our backs.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #6
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

As a Realtor, I get the same calls, texts and mail. Last week got one and I sent a text back saying, YES, come buy it. Told them I was a Realtor and that I would gladly sell for current market price of "way up there," won't bore you with the real price, and that they would pay all closing costs. She sent back a reply, "Never mind, I'm not interested anymore."

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

We bought our house three years ago, refinanced it once last year, then again this year. After the second refinance, we have gotten a couple of letters saying they want to buy our house. I would bet only two or three at the most.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Get a spam blocker app for your phone and you won't have to deal with them. Either that or don't answer calls from numbers that aren't in your contacts list.

I haven't received any calls (because I have a spam blocker) but as I was leaving the house to go to dinner yesterday there was a small American Flag planted in the front yard. It had a realtor's business card taped to the stick. No knock on the door, no harassment, just a unique way to advertise her services.
AlaskaFlyerFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I get them from time to time. We have cash and will pay you 800 per acre on so and so lot. Usually less than 20 acres. I think they must get the info from the appraisal district.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
Box-R
Four Point

The game is set up for the Realtors to always win. 6% is a LOT of money for the amount of work they do and they only make money when properties change hands, so yeah, they certainly encourage that. I get at least 5 postcards a month wanting to buy my ranch...
Box-R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
As I approached the age of 65, I started getting junk mail and calls (and yes i have registered with the do not call list) from sellers of: Life insurance, health insurance, medicare medical supplies,all things that seniors use, among others.
Also started getting offers to buy my house. Not interested in selling my house. It's paid for, why would I sell? Just wonderin, are the home buyers targeting retirement age folk hopin to cash in on the boom/bust and buy a smaller place? Or are they soliciting everyone just because of the housing market right now. Either way, I wish they would stop with the phone calls and letters. I get almost as many letters as phone calls!
People of all ages chime in!
We have 2 houses in eye sight of downtown Houston. Get calls and texts every day.
The big house has almost trippled in value the last 30 years. We do not want to move. Period end of story.
The Pasadena house will sell fairly soon.......
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #12
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Wife got a text the other day from a guy wanting to buy our place. When asked where he got her number and address he said tax office and white pages. She told him that was B.S. , we both have cell phone only. Tax office she doesn’t believe have our new numbers. I called and left him a voicemail that we would take $180K for the place. He texted her back and said it wasn’t appraised at that amount. She replied back that she knew that, but if he truly wanted it he would have to pay that price. We haven’t heard a word from him.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

None of them are looking to pay market value. They are looking to steal a home, not buy one. That’s what we Buy Ugly Homes do. Why would they pay market value for a home, repair it and then try to flip it? Now, in this market I guess it could be possible if you had buyers that would pay the difference in what the bank would finance.
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #14
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Yes. The house, land, timber, and minerals. And auto warranties.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #15
JMart76
Four Point

Hunt In: No where at the moment

We get calls weekly trying to buy one of our places. Took one for a ride around a Christmas and told them what I needed in order for them to buy that particular home. They never called back. But others have and they don’t stop.
JMart76 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #16
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Who is calling from Howe Texas?

They call me 10-20 times a week and I don't answer.

Had one call from Hot Springs, blocked the number and it changed one digit and kept calling
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 10:56 PM   #17
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

I got a letter from a realtor asking if we were interested in selling as she had a client interested. Went in the trash. My house can be bought, but not for what they will consider a reasonable price.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 11:13 PM   #18
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

We get offers weekly, if not daily. Most come in the mail. Some come by in person. I don't get phone calls from folks not on my contact list, so that's a good thing. I'm 67 if you are doing research and want ages of responders on this. I also get offers to pay off my student loan (never had one). I just ask them to send me a check and that's the end of the conversation.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 11:15 PM   #19
txhunt7
Eight Point

I just play along , waste their time, tell em value is 1.5mil , put it on speaker phone and keep working. If we could all waste their time it helps knock down how many others they can bother in one day
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #20
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Not to derail the schemes you are receiving in calls..

After 62... might want to look into a reverse mortgage. They are not horrible. Except for your heirs. Enjoy the money.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #21
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

They call my work number all the time. If I'm bored I will play along until they hang up. Last one I told them I would take $2 million. He said "You really don't want to sell your house do you."
I said absolutely. If he gave me $2 million, I would be out in two weeks.

No, my house and land isn't worth near that much, but I would take it.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 11:32 PM   #22
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

You would be surprised at what personal information a realtor has access to. They can pretty much find out anything about you, what you paid for your current home, any liens, back taxes, the whole 9. They will typically target folks who are usually in some sort of predicament. They are also cash sales and can typically close in an extremely short amount of time compared to conventional style sells/closings. This looks good to the seller, who may be in trouble financially. This is usually done for an investor who will renovate and flip the house. It’s called wholesale. And you would be surprised at the number of people who go through with these deals.

Those are the serious guys

Then there are the people that fish in every pond to try to get a bite. That’s who you’re probably hearing from.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 12:00 AM   #23
Katsaregood
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I got a letter from a realtor asking if we were interested in selling as she had a client interested. Went in the trash. My house can be bought, but not for what they will consider a reasonable price.
Ya got a letter just as soon as one property value increased. They offered not even a third of what it’s worth.

Last edited by Katsaregood; 06-24-2021 at 12:25 AM.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 04:45 AM   #24
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

I get them quite often the ones I laugh about are investment companies wanting to buy my land in Missouri I have had offers as low as $300 an acre
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 04:58 AM   #25
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I have High speed Kart race track next door, he owns the land around my house, he has offered to buy my house, but for normal market price, he offered the property around me as commercial, so now i get calls letters even text, i just tell them to give me $500,000 and its a deal... no one ever responds the owner next door is a little mad at me...
i think since Hunt county is going build crazy, offers are going to be around for awhile, and one day someone might take me up on my offer, and i will have to decline...
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #26
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I would like to know the info of some of the ones that send me post cards about buying my "vacant" land for about 10% of local market value.
Do a little research and call THEM up and offer 15% of what their current house is appraised at and see what they have to say
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #27
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

They wanna buy my house, refinance my house, buy my truck, sell me an auto warranty, sell me life insurance, or give me a credit card on a daily basis. Without the scammers and junk mail, I wouldn't need a mailbox.
FVR JR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #28
RR 314
Pope & Young

Man, we have people coming to our front door. I would say one person every two or three weeks. Not realtors--just individuals that want (perhaps actually need) a house.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #29
BiggieSmalls
Six Point

Heck, we are listing ours today since our area in general is hot. We already have other land under contract and our realtor knows what I want for ours, now just fingers crossed. It's a smaller house on a couple acres which apparently is a hot commodity, so well see. Our county is 6-8 weeks behind in closing apparently, so much for making it a quick process.
BiggieSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #30
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman where there is no deer

I'm thinking thats what happened to a neighbors property. Heard it sold $6k acre. Prices going for $15k+ an acre. Either inside real estate deal or someone sending out offers to owners.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:20 AM   #31
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

whenever we get one of those calls here in the office, we put it on speaker and toy with them while the rest of my coworkers get a laugh.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #32
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I wish I could figure out some sort of auto response to these calls, texts and mailings that offers my place at 6x market value. So irritating. As bad as car warranty calls for a truck I haven't owned in two years.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #33
ladrones
Pope & Young

We have been getting little information packets on our door, from real estate people wanting to know if we are interested in selling.

They have a 4% inventory to work with here.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #34
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Saw this morning Austin's medium price is 450K

Folks from LA and NY concider this cheep.................

https://news.yahoo.com/three-hollywo...120238575.html
Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #35
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Turn this on in iPhone settings. If you donít have the number in your phone it sends it straight to voicemail.

Throw all the mailers straight in the trash.

I donít know why anyone wastes time with these clowns
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #36
CaptainDave
Ten Point

We get a few of these calls from time to time. Heck, every other one is regarding a house we sold 2 years ago. As mentioned, most of these are cash buyers (some wholesalers, but not all), looking to undercut the market with a quick, cash offer. These types typically are looking for people in some sort of financial trouble or a situation requiring a quick sale. I'm sure they are probably having a tough time in this current TX market, but if there's an eventual market correction similar to back in 2007/2008, it could get bad. Many don't realize how many folks out there are over-extended on their current mortgage, HLOC or reverse mortgage and all it takes is a dip in the market to cause a lot of issues.

Then their are the post cards in the mail we get from local realtors. I don't consider these the same as the cash buyer calls. These people live off word of mouth and they are just trying to market themselves. Housing inventory is also down in many areas, so they probably have clients looking to buy as well.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #37
huntandfishguy6
Eight Point

We usually receive a card in the mail weekly. I tear them up and throw it away.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #38
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Thanks for all the replies folks. Mainly just thinkin they think I'm an old fart and will think their offers are great since it's twice what I paid. Hell, its paid for and I'm retired. Not lookin to get into another major debt this late in the game.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #39
JerryC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft Bend County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Turn this on in iPhone settings. If you donít have the number in your phone it sends it straight to voicemail.

Throw all the mailers straight in the trash.

I donít know why anyone wastes time with these clowns
Thanks for this information. I didnít know about this setting. I usually just donít answer numbers that I donít recognize.
JerryC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #40
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Just got this text earlier.blackednout portion is my address.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #41
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
Just got this text earlier.blackednout portion is my address.

We all wanted to come buy and bring beer and BBQ.

Never mind.................
Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #42
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Got a call from a cell phone tower company, wanted to know if we would sell them 5 acres. Replied for 5 mil. They lost interest real fast. They lease it now.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #43
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
We all wanted to come buy and bring beer and BBQ.

Never mind.................
Sent via pm.

LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I went back and forth via text for 5 only 6 messages. My last message was 175k and boob pics. Haven't got one in months

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #45
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
Sent via pm.

Nice offer. I will sit stay for now...................
Old 06-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #46
Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

I just throw out some ridiculous number.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #47
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I get them in the mail and in the form of calls and texts. They are fishing. I guess every once and a while they are successful. Why would they do it then with no benefit?
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #48
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

will it ever end? now by text, i replay with STOP, and don't get another one from them
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #49
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
Got a call from a cell phone tower company, wanted to know if we would sell them 5 acres. Replied for 5 mil. They lost interest real fast. They lease it now.
my uncle in N.D. has leased spot to a cell company for a tower. they pay him $800 month for it.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #50
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I just tell them I will 10 million cash and for some reason they quit calling and texting.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top