Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita
Default Moving because property taxes?

Well we might have to throw in the towel and move because of our property taxes
Our appraisal district doubled our ďvalue ď in 10 years, now our neighbor has been forced to sell and with his sale next year we are being jumped 1/3 again.
Wife and I just canít go from $3500 to over $5000 on a retirement budget
I guess we will let the new neighbors from California make a offer?
I see others on here are facing the same https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=806703

Oklahoma or Mississippi are where her family are located so I guess Kenndall county Texas will be in our past
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
jlp04c
Eight Point

I see it as a lose lose, you can usually move a bit more rural and get out of them, but everyone does that so in 4-5 years they pass bonds to improve schools etc and subsequently your taxes, again, go up. Probably more than if you just woulda stayed! All the while your spending more gas and more on vehicle maintenance to live farther out! Taxes, ridiculous! Why are we passing school bonds when all of last year we didnt even go to school!
jlp04c is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
TKRanch
Ten Point

Not sure of all the specifics that are in place now, but if 65 or older and homestead in place is there not a freeze on the major part of the taxes paid on a home? I know the valuation will continue to increase, but the freeze should be in effect?
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
8th1
Four Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Can you use a service that protests taxes for you?
I tried on my own years ago and got nowhere. I used a service and they got my taxes down.
8th1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #5
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

its getting be very ridicules' for sure, we started out 13 years ago @ $1200 a yr, now we up over $2500, Hunt county / Caddo Mills is growing so much, these builders like DR Horton, are coming an and buying all this land, offering more then appraised value, driving prices up, and they love it... and down side is all these city folk come out, and start complaining because of the lack of city conveniences... its crazy, and the little community is bowing down and making them all feel better by making these changes to city codes and re zoning,
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
ateague11
Ten Point

Hunt In: In a tree!

I wish my taxes were this low
ateague11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

for now, i pay this, i understand they will double next year,,, and i thought Collin County was bad, for a place like mine they are at $9000
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
Parramore
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Do you have any ag exemptions? Wildlife Exemptions? Run your own business on the property?
Parramore is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
its getting be very ridicules' for sure, we started out 13 years ago @ $1200 a yr, now we up over $2500, Hunt county / Caddo Mills is growing so much, these builders like DR Horton, are coming an and buying all this land, offering more then appraised value, driving prices up, and they love it... and down side is all these city folk come out, and start complaining because of the lack of city conveniences... its crazy, and the little community is bowing down and making them all feel better by making these changes to city codes and re zoning,
Itís exactly the same here huge influx of people who move in to the area then demand same convenience they fled a endless cycle
Had branched out to our area
Old 04-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I'd fight it OR get you a firm that will fight it ... i did this 3 yrs ago and they got my value dropped over $50k worth the 5 or 10% of saving they got me. something has got to happen as our incomes are not increasing at the value taxes are increasing ...
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #11
wilded
Ten Point

The tax rate in many rural Texas counties is just as high as the metro areas. Moved to Lampasas and my taxes are just as high as they were in Round Rock.
wilded is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #12
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

This was one of the factors that pushed us out of Montgomery County. There were other reasons but it definitely played a part. We moved back to Polk County in the area where I'm from. When we bought last year, the previous owner payed about $4500 the year before we bought. We just got our first property tax statement and they raised our appraised value by $100k and the taxes are over $6k now. If our place was in Montgomery County it would most likely be $9-10k per year so I guess I can't complain too much. We are going to protest the giant appraisal increase though. I remember when Dad complained about the $2-300 per year he paid on our place growing up in East Tx.
L.

Last edited by Pineywoods; 04-26-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I contest my taxes every year and have never won. Been using those companies to do it for me. Prices just going up like crazy in N. Austin area.

When I retire, I'll probably move out of Texas because of taxes.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

All the people moving in from out of state paying premium rates for houses/property are screwing us true Texans! All my wife and I's family are here in Texas so us moving out of state is a no go. It just sucks that Texas is so good for business that it brings in all the liberal businesses and they bring in their liberal employees/ideals... It's going to ruin our once great state down the road sadly.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #15
Longue Carabine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Every one of you should be delivering a petition to city hall demanding that they stop granting zoning that allows this. Don't let them forget who answers to who
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longue Carabine View Post
Every one of you should be delivering a petition to city hall demanding that they stop granting zoning that allows this. Don't let them forget who answers to who
Yeah the city of boerne just gave bucee-s travel center a 10 year tax abatement / pay 0% on all taxes, and TDoT granted 200millon for their personal exits . Kinda hard not to be bitter about property taxes

Same with space X in Brownsville import California jobs
Austin gives Tesla tax abatement

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-26-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:40 PM   #17
JasonS
Four Point

Donít many other states have state taxes though. Might pay to weigh out benefits. I thought going to a (no state tax) state was better when retiring to keep from paying state tax on retirement income(401k, IRA, etc).

I live in Louisiana now. I am prob moving back to Texas to retire. That being said, I didnít consider property tax shooting up in certain areas. Iíll have to pay attention to that when pick where Iím moving back too.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #18
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

If you need to move because of that, you couldn't afford it in the first place.

$1500 spread over 12 months isnt much. Guess it depends how much of that budget yall are spending on taxes. Seems like alot
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #19
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I think this will start a trend in higher $/ft construction with smaller sq ft homes. I built around tax codes and built only what I needed. It works better in rural areas than in urban HOAs with deed restrictions. RE Taxes in Texas can be a big factor in cost of living once retired. Move rural, and put 40% in house and 60% in land. For example a 100 acres(ag use) with a 1500 sq ft home, vs a 4500 sq ft home in 0.5 acres lot and block. Small house and land might cost $2k a year in taxes while the other $20K/year in taxes. Both worth $800K
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #20
kaizen
Eight Point

I live in a suburb to Austin. Bought the house in 2017 for $325k. My neighbor put his on the market last month. Similar size, similar amenities, etc for $780k. As I type this, its under contract and a home inspector is scrambling all over it. 33 days on market which is actually a long time for this area but the sale redefines what houses cost on our street. I have to be here for work. So, I cant sell and relocate. All it means for me is more taxes.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #21
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I think this will start a trend in higher $/ft construction with smaller sq ft homes. I built around tax codes and built only what I needed. It works better in rural areas than in urban HOAs with deed restrictions. RE Taxes in Texas can be a big factor in cost of living once retired. Move rural, and put 40% in house and 60% in land. For example a 100 acres(ag use) with a 1500 sq ft home, vs a 4500 sq ft home in 0.5 acres lot and block. Small house and land might cost $2k a year in taxes while the other $20K/year in taxes. Both worth $800K
This is our exact plan, in a 3750 4-3 with a mother in law house on 3 acres, going the direction you mentioned
Old 04-26-2021, 06:06 PM   #22
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

OP,

Truly feel for you. Don't know where we'd go if we moved.

Came here from Louisiana, but no desire to go back there, but dang, the property taxes are out of control.

I'm pushing for us to find some land and buy just outside of BIG city limits. Get some farm animals or hay on it, so I can get AG.

Buddy has his inlaws place. 110 Acres and with AG exempt the property taxes are cheaper than what I pay on my 50x100 lot.

Hope ya'll land some place you're happy with.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #23
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Fighting your appraisal is easy. I have had mine drop
Everytime I have fought it. Skip the middle man and wait to see the panel.
cantexduck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #24
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

We protested. My 1325≤ft house (including garage) was appraised at 190,000. They dropped it to 165K and it is that again this year. Problem is obvious but we aren't going to change it. Politicians spend our money without any care for how it negatively affects us.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
This was one of the factors that pushed us out of Montgomery County. There were other reasons but it definitely played a part. We moved back to Polk County in the area where I'm from. When we bought last year, the previous owner payed about $4500 the year before we bought. We just got our first property tax statement and they raised our appraised value by $100k and the taxes are over $6k now. If our place was in Montgomery County it would most likely be $9-10k per year so I guess I can't complain too much. We are going to protest the giant appraisal increase though. I remember when Dad complained about the $2-300 per year he paid on our place growing up in East Tx.
L.

Congrats Josh, you now pay more in property taxes than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

I'm over 65 and my tax dollar is frozen as long as I do make changes.

I can make all repairs etc.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #27
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
I live in a suburb to Austin. Bought the house in 2017 for $325k. My neighbor put his on the market last month. Similar size, similar amenities, etc for $780k. As I type this, its under contract and a home inspector is scrambling all over it. 33 days on market which is actually a long time for this area but the sale redefines what houses cost on our street. I have to be here for work. So, I cant sell and relocate. All it means for me is more taxes.
Thatís just Insane.
lilavidhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #28
RedRocker
Eight Point

I'm 73 & my tax estimate arrived today & they went up, supposed to be frozen, but they up the value of your home & stick it to you.
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #29
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Move somewhere that there are no high paying jobs to attract young families. That way they probably won't be passing school bonds to keep up with the number of kids needing a seat in school. The best thing about retirement is that we don't need or maybe even want a job.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #30
Katsaregood
Six Point

They doubled mine last year and doubled school taxes also. I’m gladly selling.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #31
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I'm 73 & my tax estimate arrived today & they went up, supposed to be frozen, but they up the value of your home & stick it to you.

It was explained to me that my tax bill was frozen. The value and go up with makert.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #32
No-Tox
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Yep, the actual rate per $100 is frozen but you can still pay more because of the appraised value going up.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #33
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
Yep, the actual rate per $100 is frozen but you can still pay more because of the appraised value going up.
Yep, theyíre gonna get you one way or the other !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #34
Cookiemonster1
Eight Point

Hunt In: lampasas,brady

Sorry but No-Tox is correct
Cookiemonster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #35
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

What did their services cost you?
Txhunter3000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 08:24 PM   #36
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Was referring to post #10 up above. Sorry new and learning.
Txhunter3000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #37
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Back in 1998 I stressed to my wife that Austin is headed to a rich run city. So we moved too the country in Burnet county. Austin is and became a tax run city. It will not change!
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #38
kingranch
Ten Point

What I wouldn't give to have a 5k tax bill

You should really weigh the options at hand...if u move you will likely spend that extra cash on moving etc. Is it really worth the hassle?.. not me so I stay put and take it..it hurts
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:05 PM   #39
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/ Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp04c View Post
I see it as a lose lose, you can usually move a bit more rural and get out of them, but everyone does that so in 4-5 years they pass bonds to improve schools etc and subsequently your taxes, again, go up. Probably more than if you just woulda stayed! All the while your spending more gas and more on vehicle maintenance to live farther out! Taxes, ridiculous! Why are we passing school bonds when all of last year we didnt even go to school!

Gotta build little Johnny a big astroturf stadium so he can play football. You know, kids canít play on grass anymore! Lol..
Itís ridiculous the money being spent on stadiums in this state. Iíve seen the writing on the wall for a long time. So I bought land in Oklahoma to retire to in about 10 years.

bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #40
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/ Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
All the people moving in from out of state paying premium rates for houses/property are screwing us true Texans! All my wife and I's family are here in Texas so us moving out of state is a no go. It just sucks that Texas is so good for business that it brings in all the liberal businesses and they bring in their liberal employees/ideals... It's going to ruin our once great state down the road sadly.

You can thank Governor Perry for the influx of businesses relocating here. I remember a story of him going to California pitching Texas as a place for business to relocate. Gave them tax abatements to move here. The rest is what weíre dealing with now.

bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #41
txhunt7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
Fighting your appraisal is easy. I have had mine drop
Everytime I have fought it. Skip the middle man and wait to see the panel.

This isn't the reality I'm in.
I protest every year, it's getting old.
I've only been substantially successful twice, once because I had a previous appraisal for a refinance, and another time I paid a company 50.00 for a comparison report which worked well. But most of the other times they award me pennies hardly worth the effort.

The 2nd time I tried the comparison report they slammed me for no logical reason. A rural guy walking into a table of appraisers , good target.
They've already made their mind up depending the group you get.
I've often wondered how unbiased these folks really are.
I live on the very (very) edge of Harris co, looking to move.
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #42
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Moving because property taxes?

I paid $11,732.67 in state tax last year plus my wives state tax which is probably around another 7 to 8k.

Then I paid over 3k for my house that was valued at $375,000. Not sure I would move states over for $120 a month even if I was retired.

We paid 23k to live and work in Louisiana . Thatís not including the federal, Medicaid, and social security taxes.

I also get to pay an additional $11,400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Black Ice; 04-26-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #43
sticknstring
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmuzzy View Post
You can thank Governor Perry for the influx of businesses relocating here. I remember a story of him going to California pitching Texas as a place for business to relocate. Gave them tax abatements to move here. The rest is what weíre dealing with now.

This did a lot of forward movement!! I remember it well and kept telling myself that this going to get bad real quick!
sticknstring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #44
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateague11 View Post
I wish my taxes were this low
Me too.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 AM   #45
Kossetx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilded View Post
The tax rate in many rural Texas counties is just as high as the metro areas. Moved to Lampasas and my taxes are just as high as they were in Round Rock.
I did the math the other day and came to this same conclusion. Problem is there are a lot more services in the city. Here in Falls county we get nothing.
They rarely even mow the ditches. I'll give up services to get rid of the people though. 30 days and counting, no more Houston.
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #46
catslayer
Pope & Young

??? Do you not have a homestead exemption in place?

It should have been done basically the year you moved in. Limits the rate that they can increase your property tax due to it being you primary residence.

My mom is owns a property tax assistance company. If they don't win at he protest then you don't pay them.

Last edited by catslayer; 04-27-2021 at 07:20 AM.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #47
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmuzzy View Post
Gotta build little Johnny a big astroturf stadium so he can play football. You know, kids canít play on grass anymore! Lol..
Itís ridiculous the money being spent on stadiums in this state. Iíve seen the writing on the wall for a long time. So I bought land in Oklahoma to retire to in about 10 years.

Yes that is one problem the school district/ county is split
One part the ultra high income has a school that needs stuff like
Jumbo tron replay , professional video team, pro quality sports practice fields, chartered bus service, the other side of the county is required to pay for it
Plus planning for new was budgeted before building materials became hyper inflated ,
Old 04-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #48
friscopaint
Ten Point

We got back from looking in Florida panhandle 2 days ago. I'm about to retire and can't handle the taxes going up every year here. Would love to stay in Texas but can't afford it, my first $5000 in property taxes is exempted in Florida due to current VA disability breaks which basically means we will live income and property tax free. I wrote my state rep yesterday but he probably figures me leaving will just have another person buying my place and replacing me. Roads were much nicer in Florida to.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #49
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
??? Do you not have a homestead exemption in place?

It should have been done basically the year you moved in. Limits the rate that they can increase your property tax due to it being you primary residence.

My mom is owns a property tax assistance company. If they don't win at he protest then you don't pay them.
"rates" don't go up but the values do, it's a scam by them saying they didn't raise your taxes yet your taxes increase because of the dart board they use at CAD to value your property.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #50
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
Yes that is one problem the school district/ county is split
One part the ultra high income has a school that needs stuff like
Jumbo tron replay , professional video team, pro quality sports practice fields, chartered bus service, the other side of the county is required to pay for it
Plus planning for new was budgeted before building materials became hyper inflated ,
I'll never vote for a school bond again, it's ridiculous what I pay for our schools.