Looking for info about Midland/Odessa area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m graduating from college this May and I have accepted a job that will have me moving to the Midland/Odessa area sometime this summer after I complete training in Houston. I would greatly appreciate if anyone on here that lives out that way could provide me with some information about the area such as which out of the two towns is a “better” place to live, general information about the area, things to do around there, etc. I would also appreciate any information regarding apartment complexes in the area and which ones to avoid if anyone knows about that.

I’m also looking to potentially join a VFD if there is one that operates in the district that I’m moving to (haven’t figured that out yet), so if there is anyone that is a member of a VFD in that area that could point me in the right direction in that aspect, I would greatly appreciate it as well.

Contact donpablo on here, he lives in Odessa.

Comment

Quote from internet....

Odessa is the most dangerous city in all of Texas, with 806 violent crime incidents per 100,000 inhabitants. It is the highest crime rate in the state by far. For instance, Odessa has 645 cases of aggravated assault alone, which is just 13 short of Lubbock’s 658 violent crimes overall per 100,000.

Comment

I was born and raised in Odessa. Lived there until 5 years ago. Midland is much nicer. There’s a lot of things I miss about living out there. The crime and the trashy people(can have that anywhere) isn’t some of them. I think being born and raised there gave me a different outlook. Lots of folks hate it with a passion. It’ll always be “home” to me. But it’s certainly not the place it used to be. Traffic is nuts as the oilfield booms and less folks leave it seems. The area just isn’t built for the population they have.

But there’s great bird and deer hunting. Top notch predator hunting. And a great rifle range in Midland.

As a single man you’ll have a blast haha.

Comment

Midland, is better in my opinion but not by much. However I just worked there for a month at a time, not necessarily live there.

Comment

Lived in Midland for a bit over 5 years, and I’m still officed out of Midland. I moved back to Lubbock 6 years ago now. My favorite thing to do in the area is leave. I love the work, but I won’t live there again if I can help it. Out of Midland and Odessa I’d live in Midland. As Trophy8 said bird hunting and predator hunting is top notch. There’s some dang good mule deer hunting nearby as well.

If the job came with a company truck with gas card for personal use it makes things a lot easier. It’s easier to leave every days off when the company foots the bill. They’ll gladly do it if you make a hand too

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Lived in Midland for a bit over 5 years, and I’m still officed out of Midland. I moved back to Lubbock 6 years ago now. My favorite thing to do in the area is leave. I love the work, but I won’t live there again if I can help it. Out of Midland and Odessa I’d live in Midland. As Trophy8 said bird hunting and predator hunting is top notch. There’s some dang good mule deer hunting nearby as well.

If the job came with a company truck with gas card for personal use it makes things a lot easier. It’s easier to leave every days off when the company foots the bill. They’ll gladly do it if you make a hand too
              This is spot on how I am about that area. Don’t miss being out there for sure but was always glad to be leaving every time I did. Trophy8 is right about one thing, don’t go there with a girlfriend or wife and you’ll absolutely enjoy it!!!! Shack in back, blue door, beer garden, the bar and rockin rodeo are the hot spots for nightlife.

Comment

I’ve spent more than my fair share of time in the basin. If I was going to live there on a permanent basis I think I’d look at the new development part of east Odessa off 191 somewhere. 2 years ago I would’ve agreed with y’all about midland but I think east 191 might be worth a look. From there you can easily go almost any direction and your minutes from either town. Plus it’s a little nicer part of town in my opinion.

It’s either that or you gotta go to the out skirts and commute. It’s a trade off either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I probably won’t be much help. My job was move to Midland or commute 2 hours each way from San Angelo. Was a easy decision for me to stay and commute

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                    I’ve spent more than my fair share of time in the basin. If I was going to live there on a permanent basis I think I’d look at the new development part of east Odessa off 191 somewhere. 2 years ago I would’ve agreed with y’all about midland but I think east 191 might be worth a look. From there you can easily go almost any direction and your minutes from either town. Plus it’s a little nicer part of town in my opinion.

It’s either that or you gotta go to the out skirts and commute. It’s a trade off either way.

I think that I would live in Andrews & commute. I have spend some time out there for work & I did not care for Midland or Odessa. The town has about 11,000 people & a very nice Volunteer Fire Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                      I think that I would live in Andrews & commute. I have spend some time out there for work & I did not care for Midland or Odessa. The town has about 11,000 people & a very nice Volunteer Fire Dept.

http://www.cityofandrews.org/governm...fire/index.php

Nothing wrong with Andrews, I’ve also spent a lot of time in Crane over the last few years. Just depends on what you want. And how far your willing to drive every day.

Comment

I live in Midland.

Greenwood is the preferred area to be in but you will pay a premium to live there. There isn't any apartments out there.

There are several new apartment complex's on the north side loop 250 that will be good. Rent will be high but not as high as its been in the past. Hit me up in DM if you have any specific questions and I will help where I can.

Comment

^^^ Greenwood or even Stanton isn’t bad and will have a vfd.

My observation of midessa, the area was not planned for growth and all the big trucks that came with that growth. Roads are crowded and driving sucks

Comment

Find a job somewhere else

Comment

I work out that way on occasion and agree Midland is the better of the two. Congrats on your graduation and your new job. This will be an adventure, so make it count. West Texas is pretty in its own way, great sunrises and sunsets. Good luck to you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X