Ground Venison Jerky Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Venison Jerky Question

Gentleman, I haven't had my jerky fix for the year so I finally decided to turn an old slick head into a pile of Jerky. I ended up with around 16 lbs of good clean lean meat. I cubed and ground it up.

I split the meat into 3 batches of around 5.4 lbs. I used a pre-portioned jerky mix kit and cure. Each package of cure and spices was made for 5 lbs. I followed the directions and mixed it all very well until it turned brown from the nitrates.

My dehydrator only holds around 10 lbs. Well I dried two batches last night and came home to the remaining batch tonight. The meat was placed in a gallon ziploc bag and was in the fridge all night.

Once I started loading the jerky gun, I noticed the meat on the inside of this big ball of meat in the bag had turned red again. The outside was uniformly brown as it was supposed to be. I know it was mixed well last night and the whole batch was uniform in color.

I am wondering if this is normal? This is only my second year using ground meat and the jerky shooter to make jerky. Last year I mixed it and then placed it in the fridge for around an hour and then "shot" it onto the dehydrator tray. This just caught me off guard and I wanted to see if anyone in the brain trust knew what was going on? I am hoping I didn't ruin 5 lbs of lean meat.

Anybody?
    Last edited by Jon B; 12-03-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

You're fine. The cure causes the red color. The outside layer oxidizes and turns brown.

Right after you mix it all, it is uniformly oxidized, so the color will all be the same.

Technically you did it exactly right. You are supposed to let it cure before drying.

Comment

yep its just the cure.

Comment

That's fine, as TXJon said. It's oxidation, exposure to air, that makes it turn brown not necessarily the cure. The red in the middle is because it hasn't oxidized/met as much oxygen. Not a big deal at all. Carry on Jerky Man

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Your good to go.

Comment

No problems

Comment

Good information

Comment

Jerky never lasts long enough at house house to need cure!

Comment

Working...
                    X