Simple Question for suggestions .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Question for suggestions .....

I hunted with a 65 lb compound bow for years. Two years ago a shoulder problem and loss of strength caused me to give it up. I miss hunting with a bow and would like to consider learning to shoot traditional.

Am I nuts? Recommendations?

Yes.
    But that doesn't mean you can't and be successful with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your feedback and yes I think I'm nuts!

After watching a number of Clay Hayes videos and others ..... at 70 years old there seems to be much more to shooting traditional than I originally thought.

I think I will continue to hunt with my son and grandchildren and let them do the shooting.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Trad requires muscle you didn’t even know you had. Lower poundage doesn’t mean less work from your muscles. No let off and it only increases with draw length.

Comment

When my shoulders are done I plan to get a 50lb compound bow with 80% let off and keep killing.
          They've been refitted once already though and I built them back up.
          It is possible to get a do over with the right surgeon and therapist.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a smooth drawing compound, like an Elite, and set it at 55 lb. That will kill any deer alive and be much more efficient than any trad bow that you would want to start out with.

Comment

I'm 71 and when through about the same thing several years ago. I started off with a 30# recurve and over time I'm happy shooting my 50# bows. The muscles came back little at a time I shoot a minimum of a hundred arrows everyday. Clay Hayes is certainly a good one to learn from but don't let the technical part stop you. Get you a bow you can hold at full draw comfortably and start off shooting at 10 yards and gradually step back until you can stack arrows at 20 yard and beyond. You're not too old and have to sit on the sidelines and watch someone else do it..

Comment

It is worth it if you have the time to mess with it. Trad bows are just so much fun to shoot. It is so easy to achieve good results with a compound that it isnt a lot of fun. With the recurve there is always room to improve. I look forward to slinging some arrows every evening.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                  It is worth it if you have the time to mess with it. Trad bows are just so much fun to shoot. It is so easy to achieve good results with a compound that it isnt a lot of fun. With the recurve there is always room to improve. I look forward to slinging some arrows every evening.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                  And something to add to this; No parts that break, or have to adjust, set of cables and string, cams, peep. Just a stick and string. The simplicity of it is what brings a sense of accomplishment. Compounds cover a multitude of bad form and habits.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I think I'll make a trip to Cinnamon Creek for help.

Comment

Pick up a light poundage trad bow and give it a whirl.

Comment

I've killed 12 hogs and one deer this year with a 55-lb bow and 383 grain arrows.
                        During my rotator surgery recovering, I killed a hog with a 30 lb bow

Comment

Working...
                        X