Rattle can rifle stock paintjob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle can rifle stock paintjob

Picked up a model 700 in 25-06 and was not crazy about the black synthetic stock. I really dig the look of the high end stocks with the desert tan and black webbing color scheme, but was not ready to shell out the 3-400 bucks that they cost. I did my best to imitate that look with the stock I have until I can afford one. I'm pretty happy with it, let me know what ya'll think.

that looks really solid.

Comment

I like it

Comment

That is bad*** man, great job

Comment

Looks great

Comment

That looks good.

Comment

I like that. Can you give us the steps you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dude that’s nice as hell

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  X2

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    X2
                    X3

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                      Dude that’s nice as hell

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                          I did not do any surface prep of the old stock besides washing it with warm soapy water. After it was good and dry I hung the rifle from the swivel studs with some bailing wire. I sprayed 3-4 coats of the desert tan, allowing 5-10 minutes between coats. Then I let it hang in the closet and cure for about a week.

The next step was the krylon marbelizing paint. It's an aerosol can but it actually shoots out a type of fibers with the paint (think silly string). I did some experimenting on a cardboard box to figure out the spray pattern and then I started on the rifle stock. You have to do pretty fast sweeping motions with this stuff to achieve the web look. I then hung that up and let it cure for a few days.

Lastly I applied the clear coat in a similar method as the tan paint. Maybe 2 or 3 light coats, and then a final coat that was a little heavier. Instructions on the paint said the last coat should look wet, but I was careful not to make any runs. Let that hang up about a week.

All in all I am happy with the final product. The finish seems durable enough since I gave the paint plenty time to cure. I basically just followed the instructions on each of the paint cans as far as dry/recoat/cure times. The fiber paint didnt get completely slicked over by the clear coat, so the stock still has a roughish texture to it that I like. Should really help with cold or wet hands if I ever run into that.
                          Last edited by kwperry; 01-23-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Also did my glock while I was at it. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it

Comment

Originally posted by kwperry View Post
                              Also did my glock while I was at it. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it
                              Me likey!!!!!! Awesome job!

Comment

Working...
                              X