No announcement yet.

White wing migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been having a lot of White Wings staying and raising little ones in town the last few years and also staying on throughout the winter.

This past winter a lot of these birds actually froze to death and I'm not seeing near as many white wings around town this year!

I know of at least 3 that froze to death on my back porch during the sub-zero weather we had last winter!

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
      Good deal! Your right down the road. Are you see white wings or mourning doves over there? Im not picky, but sure like to shoot the white wings and they seem to be much more consistent to a food source and staying when fronts hit than the mournings.
      Mostly mourning doves right now.

Comment

I've seen a lot at my place between Sabinal and Concan.

Comment

Originally posted by griffdpz71 View Post
          I've seen a lot at my place between Sabinal and Concan.
          Nice, food source or just flying over?

Comment

Had a nice 25+ pack today on the ranch flying by in a tallow thicket. Near my flowers but not in them thick yet. Fingers crossed

Comment

Never had them in North TX (north of DFW) as a kid. If you shot a white wing you'd done something that day. About the time I went off to A&M in 2005 we started to see hunters come in with 2-3 in their bags. Now there was days hunting ag around suburbs that it'll be all you see. The mourning dove have seemed to fall off steadily as the white wings have increased. The bird hunting (both waterfowl and upland) has steadily declined year after year since the mid 90's in this part of the world.

Comment

Starting to see more and more at my Waco property this past week. I think its because my sunflowers are starting to drop seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyway12 View Post
                  Never had them in North TX (north of DFW) as a kid. If you shot a white wing you'd done something that day. About the time I went off to A&M in 2005 we started to see hunters come in with 2-3 in their bags. Now there was days hunting ag around suburbs that it'll be all you see. The mourning dove have seemed to fall off steadily as the white wings have increased. The bird hunting (both waterfowl and upland) has steadily declined year after year since the mid 90's in this part of the world.
                  X2

Growing up a North TX kid, only white wing doves we saw up here were ones in South TX pics. Now very common to see them all over DFW. But not seeing as many this year likely due to bad winter freeze.

Comment

Birds are starting to show up in town. Driving in sealy and have seen close to 100 on the way In. More than I have seen in the last two weeks combined. Two
                    Nice packs of 30-40 flying out of town. Lots of singles flying around as well.

Comment

Well they finally found my sunflowers. went from a few, to 200+ in the field in just a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                        Well they finally found my sunflowers. went from a few, to 200+ in the field in just a few days.
                        Same thing at my place. Doesn't take them long to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          Same thing at my place. Doesn't take them long to find it.
                          You have many mourning doves in the mix?

Comment

Never seen WW in Freer on our place. But there are literally millions of mourning dove and they never leave.

Comment

hell our birds never left webb had 3k at least around the tanks mixed ww and mourning

Comment

I’m on South Texas. We have them all year.

Comment

Working...
                                X