Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty
Default Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

A co-worker of mine had a heart attack in April of 2019. he came back to work around Christmas 2020. i have heard him tell his story enough that i can probably tell it better than him.

I can't say whether he is telling the truth but here is the part of the story that i find hard to believe: he went home and his wife took him to local hospital. They say he is having a heart attack and to take him to Tyler. He gets there to ER. They say yes, he is having a heart attack and put him in waiting room for 1.5hrs. Then they see him and say they will do surgery the next day. He has quadruple by-pass done.

i can't believe a ER, especially one know for it's heart hospital, would put a patient having a heart attack in the waiting room for 1.5hrs before seeing him.

i went to same place when i thought i was having one and as soon as my wife mentioned possible heart attack, they had me in a room working on me RIGHT THEN(turns out mine was afib).

He says it was because he didn't have insurance....i didn't either

just seems strange to me. have y'all ever heard of something like this? He is trying to sue the hospital but can't find a lawyer to take the case....
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Shaun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Yep, the same thing happened to me. In August 2017 I had a heart attack. My wife drove me to the hospital and they admitted me in the emergency room. Instead of doing the operation that night the doctor wanted me relaxed. So they gave me a BUNCH of drugs and did not do the surgery until about 10 o’clock the next day. It turned out that the left side of my heart was not getting blood. I ended up with a quadruple bypass.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Yep. I had blood clots in my lungs and sat in er about 15 minutes until the back room found out about the blood clots and then you should have seem them react. The lady at the front desk should have some kind of training to know when something is serious. The older I get the less I am surprised anymore.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Been through two of them, so I kinda know what goes on. First one I was like so many others in that I was in denial. Ambulance ride at 4:00 AM to the emergency room till 7:30 stabilized getting lab workup done. ER doc comes in and tells me the news and I get another ambulance ride to ETMC where I was admitted and given a room waiting on getting surgery scheduled. Still being monitored, everything's good. Cardiologist shows up and I'm in surgery at 6:45PM. Went through recovery and was back in my room at 10:30.
Second was similar except for the time of day and 9 yrs. later, about the same time Covid was getting started. Wife took me to the hospital to ER. They wouldn't let her in with me. Stabilized and shipped off to Tyler again. Little longer in recovery getting heart rate and O2 levels to stabilize. They got me up the next day to start walking, (knew this was coming). I walked several times covering the entire floor to find that there weren't but 4 other patients on the floor. This was when hospitals were over run with patients everywhere.
Two days later' I was discharged and was never so glad to see my wife again.
I did have the best care you could ask for. Night nurse kept my phone charged and would bring snacks.

I would be more likely to go along with your friend being in the ER than the waiting rooms with heart attack symptoms.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
BigFoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: La Vernia, Hidalgo County

I think it just depends on the hospital. While they should all have a chest pain precedence, I'm not sure that all of them practice it. I've seen people mention shortness of breath and be scooped up into a wheel chair and were gone in under 60 seconds.

I walked into the ER with a heart rate of 280 and I sat there for a minute (they probably thought I was exaggerating because of my age, 26.) Then they walked me to the back, leisurely hooked up the monitors, then everything changed when they saw how bad into aFib I was. I was cardioverted within 5 mins of them hooking me up. Stupid ticker still isn't ticking correctly.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

My wife is an ER nurse for 16 years. She just read these threads and said it was all b s. A hospital doesn’t tell you to go somewhere else if your having a heart attack. That’s a violation of EMTLA. Emergency Medical Transfer and Labor Act.
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
Blownshelby
Six Point

https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-...slation/EMTALA
Blownshelby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
A co-worker of mine had a heart attack in April of 2019. he came back to work around Christmas 2020. i have heard him tell his story enough that i can probably tell it better than him.

I can't say whether he is telling the truth but here is the part of the story that i find hard to believe: he went home and his wife took him to local hospital. They say he is having a heart attack and to take him to Tyler. He gets there to ER. They say yes, he is having a heart attack and put him in waiting room for 1.5hrs. Then they see him and say they will do surgery the next day. He has quadruple by-pass done.

i can't believe a ER, especially one know for it's heart hospital, would put a patient having a heart attack in the waiting room for 1.5hrs before seeing him.

i went to same place when i thought i was having one and as soon as my wife mentioned possible heart attack, they had me in a room working on me RIGHT THEN(turns out mine was afib).

just seems strange to me. have y'all ever heard of something like this? He is trying to sue the hospital but can't find a lawyer to take the case....
Even if true, which likely is not, what are his damages?
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I’ll tell you what the real scam is in another thread…

But for this thread’s purpose I guess I was lucky. I was hauled to a local hospital(not the one my wife requested). They started working on me right out of the ambulance. About 5 minutes in, they throw me in another ambulance. Cath lab was full at this hospital. 30 minutes later, I’m in ft. Worth (started in Arlington). Don’t remember time frame after arrival because pain was immense. Coulda been 5 minutes. Coulda been 20. But what seemed really quickly, I was laying on a cath table getting stents.

There was no talk of insurance. Only medical chatter and “you’re pain level is about to be a 10!” They weren’t lying!

Hint. The real scam is ambulance operators.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post

QUESTIONS:

1) He didn't come back to work for 8 months??? Sounds like he was milking it for time off!

2) I call BS on letting him sit in the waiting room for 1.5 hours without checking on him!

3) Why is trying to sue the hospital? Does he have lingering issues because he sat in the waiting room?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #11
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Iíll tell you what the real scam is in another threadÖ

But for this threadís purpose I guess I was lucky. I was hauled to a local hospital(not the one my wife requested). They started working on me right out of the ambulance. About 5 minutes in, they throw me in another ambulance. Cath lab was full at this hospital. 30 minutes later, Iím in ft. Worth (started in Arlington). Donít remember time frame after arrival because pain was immense. Coulda been 5 minutes. Coulda been 20. But what seemed really quickly, I was laying on a cath table getting stents.

There was no talk of insurance. Only medical chatter and ďyouíre pain level is about to be a 10!Ē They werenít lying!

Hint. The real scam is ambulance operators.
Air ambulance might be

2 buddies had heart attacks. They both got a helicopter ride.
One said his cost $54,000 the other said his was $63,000

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #12
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
Air ambulance might be

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes
Yes thatís high. ButÖ

Iím not talking about what they charge.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #13
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
My wife is an ER nurse for 16 years. She just read these threads and said it was all b s. A hospital doesnít tell you to go somewhere else if your having a heart attack. Thatís a violation of EMTLA. Emergency Medical Transfer and Labor Act.

The hospital that I went initially didn't tell me to go anywhere. I was stabilized then transferred via ambulance while being monitored. And it wasn't an issue of payment or insurance. I guess we are a bit more rural than y'all.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #14
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I think it just depends on the hospital. While they should all have a chest pain precedence, I'm not sure that all of them practice it. I've seen people mention shortness of breath and be scooped up into a wheel chair and were gone in under 60 seconds.

I walked into the ER with a heart rate of 280 and I sat there for a minute (they probably thought I was exaggerating because of my age, 26.) Then they walked me to the back, leisurely hooked up the monitors, then everything changed when they saw how bad into aFib I was. I was cardioverted within 5 mins of them hooking me up. Stupid ticker still isn't ticking correctly.
This happened to me.

I had the hiccups for about a week. Friday afternoon about 4:30 pm it got so I couldn't recover my breath sometimes. I headed towards doctors office and noticed the time. I went to ER and told them "I've had hiccups for a week and it's affecting my breathing. I can't catch my breath sometimes". Registrar told doctors I had shortness of breath.
In about 5 minutes, I was on the electrocardiogram.

Finally, after about 3 hours someone realized I wasn't having a heart attack. Although, thinking of the bill for nothing pret near gave me one.
hpdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:44 PM   #15
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
Air ambulance might be

R. Sibbes
My wife's life flight bill was $63k. Insurance paid $7k of it. Our balance was $56k. We settled with them at $4700.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #16
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

My wife started having chest pains one Sunday. They ramped up and she said something to me at about 7pm. I took her to the local ER immediately. We sat in there until 3am. They ran tests and observed and determined she had gerd and not a heart attack. Sent us home. At 7am she told me she had to go back to the hospital, something was very wrong. We went back and they hooked her up and immediatly said she was having a heart attack and life flight was on the way to take her to St. Luke's in Houston. She had 100% blockage of the widow maker. I went home, packed a few things real quickly and drove to St Lukes about an hour and a half away and when I got there they had not started working on her yet but she was in the cath lab. They put some stints in. All good. Then she clotted the stints and it was like she had a heart attack all over again. They took her back into the cath lab, pulled the stints, cleared the clots and put new stints in. Back to the room and before long she clotted them again. They pulled them but could not put more in due to the condition of the inside of her arteries at that point. They were worried about doing big damage with more stints. She ended up with a clot in one artery and a clot in her left ventricle. Those were treated and dissolved with meds and time.

Happy to say she is doing great now. Mean as ever.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:20 PM   #17
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
My wife started having chest pains one Sunday. They ramped up and she said something to me at about 7pm. I took her to the local ER immediately. We sat in there until 3am. They ran tests and observed and determined she had gerd and not a heart attack. Sent us home. At 7am she told me she had to go back to the hospital, something was very wrong. We went back and they hooked her up and immediatly said she was having a heart attack and life flight was on the way to take her to St. Luke's in Houston. She had 100% blockage of the widow maker. I went home, packed a few things real quickly and drove to St Lukes about an hour and a half away and when I got there they had not started working on her yet but she was in the cath lab. They put some stints in. All good. Then she clotted the stints and it was like she had a heart attack all over again. They took her back into the cath lab, pulled the stints, cleared the clots and put new stints in. Back to the room and before long she clotted them again. They pulled them but could not put more in due to the condition of the inside of her arteries at that point. They were worried about doing big damage with more stints. She ended up with a clot in one artery and a clot in her left ventricle. Those were treated and dissolved with meds and time.

Happy to say she is doing great now. Mean as ever.
Dang man. Thatís rough. Poor lady
Old 07-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #18
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
l

Hint. The real scam is AMR Arlington.
FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #19
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyslayer View Post
fify

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
bammmmm!!!!!
Old 07-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #20
3rdCoastHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
QUESTIONS:

1) He didn't come back to work for 8 months??? Sounds like he was milking it for time off!

2) I call BS on letting him sit in the waiting room for 1.5 hours without checking on him!

3) Why is trying to sue the hospital? Does he have lingering issues because he sat in the waiting room?
Unless it was a typo and or my math is wack he was out of work for 20 months?
3rdCoastHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #21
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
yep
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:34 PM   #22
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post

That tells about everything you need to know about the guy...

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #23
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes thatís high. ButÖ

Iím not talking about what they charge.

R. Sibbes
Old 07-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #24
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Back in 2015 I had a stress test done. My heart docs office is at Presby Plano. I went from a treadmill straight downstairs to the ER. I laid on a gurney in the ER hallway for over an hour.
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #25
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

ER's are notoriously poorly run. I waited for 3 hours in an ER in Katy with my 2 year old son with an open and bleeding wound in his scalp. There was one other person there.
ultrastealth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #26
Lsube0555
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, tx

I work in this field everyday, there a different types of “heart attacks” some go to Cath lab right away some get optimized on meds and go to Cath lab the next day, some optimize and have to have stress test and all that first to see if the heart has viability enough for stents, some blockages are so bad and require open heart surgery, and those people can have surgery the same day in some cases although rare, some can wait days for surgery. It all just depends on the severity and testing needed to be done. No one comes in to the er and with a heart attack and is having open heart surgery within an hour unless it’s a complete aortic tear or something like that and those people are walking to to the er Anaya has at that point. It’s all about the testing needed to see what is needed to be done. It’s pretty comical that’s he’s gonna sue the hospital for having to wait 1.5 hours. I know it sounds harsh but maybe they were treating someone else more critical it’s all triage not first come first serve. And to be out all that time is a joke, we have heart transplant patients going back to work in 3 months
Lsube0555 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #27
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My wife’s abdomen was filling with blood and she was in EXCRUCIATING pain for 5.5 hours before the right Dr. said Holy **** get he in the op right now!
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #28
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

I was just curious about the being sent to another ER and waiting bro be helped. He had complications from surgery and was in a coma for 33 days. Was sent to Baylor in Dallas. Lost use of left arm. Said a couple doctors told him it was the way the hospital handled him that caused loss of use of left arm.

I know he has been through a lot, it just bothers me when he tells everyone that the hospital wanted him to die because he had no insurance.

sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #29
RedRocker
Eight Point

I happened to be in Hot Springs Arkansas, woke up with chest pain radiating up into my jaw. Had my friend drive me to the local hospital, they did a quick EKG & the next thing I knew I was surrounded by at least half a dozen people & headed to the cath lab. I was out the next day & been doing cardio rehab since.
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #30
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

My dad took a Air Ambulance several months back.
I asked him the other day if the bills come in yet. He said yes $69,000 but insurance paid $61,000 of it.

R. Sibbes