Rutting buck traveling 200 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not surprised really.
    Our mule deer herds migrate every year for winter and back.
    Longest doe migration on record is 250 miles but we have herds that go at least 100 miles every year. However, this is a forge type migration not for the rut.

For anyone interested look at the migration website: https://migrationinitiative.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
      Tells you that any given day at any given time you could have a big one show up you have never seen. I think it adds a little incentive to get out when it is slow.
      Yep.

I get irritated with the deer on our place, they are all very narrow rack, small bucks. But sometime before the rut starts, I start seeing bucks show up that are traveling through checking on the doe. Oddly, around where we are, once the rut is done, I don't see any of those bigger bucks from other areas, like I used to when we lived in Marion, over there, I would see some monsters in January and February. I would also catch multiple bucks, chasing does in the morning, once or twice in mid to late December. I know the bucks I would see in December, January and February were from at least 3 miles away, some about 5 miles away. Then others I don't know where they came from. There were a couple of areas, a few miles to five miles away, that I would regularly see nice bucks on the side of the road or crossing the road. Like clock work, those bucks would show up, where we lived sometime between late December to February. There were other bucks, I really don't know where they came from.

Where we are now, I won't have a single decent buck show up, after mid to late November other than that the tiny racked ones that are here year round. We are in the same county, but the other side of it, completely different terrain and vegetation. The deer patterns are very different. The rut timing is close to the same though. It's a bit earlier here than the other side of the county.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-19-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        Reminds me of my younger years. No distance was too far!
        Yep, spring break, I would rack up a lot of miles and not eat for a week. I did not even realize it. One spring break, we stopped at a buddy's house, while there his mother looked at us and asked if we wanted something to eat. I know I said no, I was not hungry. Then she asked when was the last time you ate. I stopped and thought about it, thought some more and kept thinking. Then realized I could not remember eating in about five days, was not hungry at all. Maybe ate once in those five days. I lost about 20 lbs. that week.

That was the point, where I realized I had a bit of an addiction to females. I completely understand bucks during the rut.

Comment

Videod a buck on one end of the ranch, much buddy shot him less than 12 hrs later 7 miles on the other side of the ranch. Blew my mind ��

Comment

Makes me think about buck to doe ratios and how that affects the travel patterns of bucks in the rut.

Comment

Shot my biggest buck ever early Dec a few years ago sent my buddy some pics. He texted me back and said your not going to believe this. Texted me pics of the same buck all spring and summer....he was 10-11 miles away as a crow flies. Said he had disappeared late September and he knew where he went now! Lol

Comment

I have always believed that the best time to kill a mature buck is right after the first rut is over. If a deer has a core area, his bedroom so to speak, surely he strives to return there once his frolicking days are over with. To do this, he has to travel through unfamiliar territory and often ends up in sendero (Hopefully mine).

Comment

Last year guy comes in after evening hunt shows me a picture mature cull wanted my opinion. Next morning I am in my blind 7 miles away and that buck walks out. It was the rut and he was hard at it that night lol.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                    I can see the 10-20 miles...but 200? I think that would be a rare event. He would run to a high fence at some point in Texas!
                    My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      Tells you that any given day at any given time you could have a big one show up you have never seen. I think it adds a little incentive to get out when it is slow.
                      This is defiantly true and the best part of the info. I have often thought the best time to hunt is after the rut when the cold weather hits and they start coming to the feeders better. We often see deer that we have not seen all year long.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        Reminds me of my younger years. No distance was too far!
                        Internet Winner!

Comment

Working...
                        X