2021 Hagerman Hog Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Hagerman Hog Hunt

Hi! I have been drawn for Segment B and I have only one public land hunt under my belt so I have a few questions for the experts:

I have only hunted hogs previously with semi-auto rifles and have only hunted birds with a shotgun. Would you recommend OO vs Slug? I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable enough with a bow yet.

My prior hog hunts have been eradication hunts on friends' large ranches where we sometimes just leave them where they lay. Is there a requirement to extract/dispose a harvested animal on a NWR?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fakeworest; 01-25-2021, 12:39 PM.

Got to use non lead in whatever gun you use. I drew the same Hunt but will use my bow. My son is using his Crossbow. I think a slug would work better but I'd test them for accuracy.

Comment

Thanks. I chatted with the biologist and these are the bullet points:
      1. Can leave them where they drop as long as not on a trail or road.
      2. They did an aerial eradication a couple weeks ago and killed 300. She estimates that was less than 1/4 of the total population.
      3. Around only 60 people paid for the tag so shouldn't be crowded.

Comment

Non toxic shot only, don't show up with lead for you muzzleloader or shotgun, they're afraid some duck is gonna make it its breakfast...
        Last edited by SC-001; 01-25-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

if you can get dialed in with some slugs, that would be my pick. have killed them with muzzleloader, but have also had times where more shots would have been beneficial. have had mixed results with buckshot, but could be user error (too far , bad shot, etc.); plenty of folks do kill lots o hogs with buckshot. double check whether slugs are allowed this year though ... the regs didn't include them as written for the draw, could have been an error since corrected though.

Comment

snag a semi auto shotgun which holds 3.5s, load it with 00 or 000 buckshot and let er rip... within 30ish yards

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
              if you can get dialed in with some slugs, that would be my pick. have killed them with muzzleloader, but have also had times where more shots would have been beneficial. have had mixed results with buckshot, but could be user error (too far , bad shot, etc.); plenty of folks do kill lots o hogs with buckshot. double check whether slugs are allowed this year though ... the regs didn't include them as written for the draw, could have been an error since corrected though.
              Looks like the regs have been updated to address all buckshot as well as including slugs.

Shotguns with buckshot or non-toxic slugs, muzzleloaders, archery
              equipment, airguns, and arrow guns may be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                Looks like the regs have been updated to address all buckshot as well as including slugs.

Shotguns with buckshot or non-toxic slugs, muzzleloaders, archery
                equipment, airguns, and arrow guns may be used.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/20...mit%20Hunt.pdf
                good to know. i got a slug gun setup for the hunt last year, but didn't draw this year. first time in ~8yrs I won't be harassing the swine up there

Comment

Razor, you left out a very important part.

"Only federally approved non-toxic shot (steel, bismuth, copper or tungsten) may be used for shotgun, muzzleloader, or airgun projectiles"

You know how some people are about "Well, the people on the internet said...".
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-26-2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

That is why I linked to the actual document.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                      Hi! I have been drawn for Segment B and I have only one public land hunt under my belt so I have a few questions for the experts:

I have only hunted hogs previously with semi-auto rifles and have only hunted birds with a shotgun. Would you recommend OO vs Slug? I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable enough with a bow yet.

My prior hog hunts have been eradication hunts on friends' large ranches where we sometimes just leave them where they lay. Is there a requirement to extract/dispose a harvested animal on a NWR?

Thanks!
                      Put in the miles through the thick stuff and you'll find them. If you have issues finding non-toxic shot, let me know. I'm in McKinney and stocked up for the last hunt. Would be happy to sell you a few boxes for what I paid for it if you're having trouble finding ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
                        Put in the miles through the thick stuff and you'll find them. If you have issues finding non-toxic shot, let me know. I'm in McKinney and stocked up for the last hunt. Would be happy to sell you a few boxes for what I paid for it if you're having trouble finding ammo.
                        Nice gesture. Do they actually check you or is it just the risk of being checked by a federal warden and the ticket for toxic shot thats deterrent?

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                          Nice gesture. Do they actually check you or is it just the risk of being checked by a federal warden and the ticket for toxic shot thats deterrent?
                          They did check mine one year. Can't remember if it was at check in or what.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why risk being checked at all? And/or possibly getting a ticket or worse? Do the right thing. Follow the rules. Live with a clear conscience. And have a great time.

Comment

I've stopped using lead broadheads and have switched to steel. I'm worried about penetration though, especially at distances over 30 yards...

Looking forward to this hunt. If I were you I'd go through your vehicle and bags with a fine tooth comb. I've heard horror stories of people with a few corn kernels stuck in the pickup bed getting a ticket. I know I've got some squirrel loads in the camper.

Comment

Working...
                              X