Reloading advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading advice

I know I’m way late to the party on this but could someone give me some input on some good starter reloading kits. I have very little experience with it but I’m looking to start trying to gather some equipment. Just need to know what is a must have for reloading or what you guys have experienced that will make this as simple as possible for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re gonna do it, don’t skimp now only to upgrade later because you will

Go RCBS and don’t buy the kit. Go ahead buy the digital scale/powder dispenser, but the rock chucker supreme press, buy the rcbs ultrasonic case cleaner, etc....

You will buy them later anyway.... why buy twice

While you are buying, buy good journals/notebooks..... write down and document EVERYTHING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by roygarcia54 View Post
      I know I’m way late to the party on this but could someone give me some input on some good starter reloading kits. I have very little experience with it but I’m looking to start trying to gather some equipment. Just need to know what is a must have for reloading or what you guys have experienced that will make this as simple as possible for me.

Imperial sizing lube. When I started 20
      Years ago I stuck cases often. Haven’t stuck one since switching to imperial many moons ago. Probably stick one tomorrow for running my head.

Good note book and measuring tools. Keep good notes and only change one thing at a time during load development.

Comment

Originally posted by colestaton View Post
        Years ago I stuck cases often. Haven’t stuck one since switching to imperial many moons ago. Probably stick one tomorrow for running my head.

Good note book and measuring tools. Keep good notes and only change one thing at a time during load development.
        Lanolin and Red Heet works 10x better than Imperial and I was a fan of imperial wax. Lanolin can be purchased at Amazon along with a spray bottle. Either 90% alcohol or Red Heet (found at auto parts stores) and mix at a ratio of 10:1 in favor of alcohol. It is the same as Dillon case lube.

Comment

Redding’s kit is really good. RCBS probably has more kits out there than anyone. The RCBS Chargemaster is a solid investment if you can fit it in your budget.
          Full Length size everything. Redding Type S bushing dies are a solid choice.
          At a minimum you will need
          Press
          Dies (FL sizing and a seating die)
          Sizing lube
          Reloading manual
          Powder measure
          *Chargemaster
          *Beam scale with powder trickler
          Powder funnel
          Ammo boxes to keep everything organized.
          Of course bullets, powder, and primers).

Vibratory brass tumbler with corn cob media to clean brass (not required but recommended)

Comment

OP
            WHAT are you looking to reload? A few rifle rounds for hunting? The RCBS single stage is fine.

High volume pistol? Get a Dillon progressive. Old thinking was "start with a single stage". Just like shooting - Would you rather shoot a Semi-auto or a pump, bolt or revolver...

Dillon equipment is top shelf and the support is even better.

Comment

Originally posted by colestaton View Post

And get either an extraction kit, or make one with a tap, bolt, washer, etc to get the stuck case out.

Primer pocket cleaner and case trimmer with reaming tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
                OP
                WHAT are you looking to reload? A few rifle rounds for hunting? The RCBS single stage is fine.

High volume pistol? Get a Dillon progressive. Old thinking was "start with a single stage". Just like shooting - Would you rather shoot a Semi-auto or a pump, bolt or revolver...

Dillon equipment is top shelf and the support is even better.

I was looking to reload mainly rifle rounds and mostly rounds for hunting. I’ve just noticed how hard it is to get ammo for all my rifles and if I could make a few hundred I’d be good for a while

Comment

I was looking to reload mainly rifle rounds and mostly rounds for hunting. I’ve just noticed how hard it is to get ammo for all my rifles and if I could make a few hundred I’d be good for a while

Buying components is almost if not just as hard to get as factory ammo.
                  Bullet selection is slim to none. New cases just about as hard to find. Try finding some 300 PRC cases. I see places they are asking almost $5 each if they even have some. I predict it will get even worse before it gets better. We may never see full shelves again.

Comment

I originally got into reloading with a Lee Classic Turret press, the cast iron version, not aluminum. Turned out some very good ammo, but eventually upgraded and trimmed down on what I'm using.

My current setup includes:

MEC marksman reloader (really like the floating shell holder design)
                    RCBS Chargemaster
                    21st Century Arbor Press
                    Wilson hand seater die
                    21st century adjustable hand primer seater
                    Redding FL sizing die with neck bushing
                    Caliper
                    Hornady case comparator and OAL gauge
                    Frankford Arsenal stainless steel tumbler
                    Lyman Case Prep center

Comment

Currently finding components is very difficult. My advice is to buy factory ammo when you can (for now) and once components start being available decide if you want to reload. Loading 5-10 boxes a year of hunting ammo won't offset the start up costs for a couple or more years.

But if you are looking for a hobby go for it . RCBS and Dillon are the companies that most of my equipment has come from

Comment

I churned out a lot of great ammunition on the cheap in my younger days with a Lee Anniversary Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                          While you are buying, buy good journals/notebooks..... write down and document EVERYTHING!!!
                          I will echo this and then put my own spin on it. A couple of times, I wrote things down on those little cards that come with reloading boxes only to lose them and then redo it later.

Use a spreadsheet instead. It's awesome and I never forget what I did. I can send you what I use and you can delete all of my data to use it as a template if you want.
                          Attached Files

Comment

RCBS anything and they will not fail you.

You said hunting rounds so personally, that's what I do and stick with a single-stage press. Get a good, heavy one and you'll be glad you did (RCBS RockChucker, for example) Sticking with the single-stage will help you to concentrate on each load, take your time! You do NOT want to rush this stuff ... have fun with it! You'll see a big difference in it and factory loads. If you use brass that was shot new or actually any time you fire a load from your used brass, inspect them individually each time and when you deprime them, use a primer brush to clean out that primer pocket, keeps you from getting a misfire.

Like someone else said, write down everything, in some sort of format that details each load, even the date you do it. I write all mine down then go enter it into my Excel spreadsheets. Even took pics of my notes so that I have several places for data in case I loose some.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X