Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
RJK70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County and Western States
Default Truck Speaker upgrade Question

I am going to upgrade the speakers in my 2017 F150 super crew. At this time I have no plans of adding a subwoofer due to it taking up space.

My plan is to replace the 6x9 in the front doors and the 6.5Ē speakers in the back doors. I havenít bought car speakers in a long time and was hoping for some advice. At this time I have no plans of adding a subwoofer due to it taking up space.

What speakers give a full rich sound without the need for a subwoofer? I donít mind spending for some quality speakers. I have had good luck with higher end Infinity speakers in the past but not sure if they are good anymore.
RJK70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
Gulfcoastin
Four Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

I just put infinity reference 6x9 and 3-1/2 in my 2019 Ram 2500. HUGE difference. Super happy with the results.
Gulfcoastin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Kicker makes a full kit with speakers and an amp. Plug and play system. Supposed to sound legit, I was looking at it, but ended up going a different route.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

That kicker kit might have a sub. But if it does, it’s tiny and fits behind the back seat. Takes up none of the currently useable space.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Rotney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Focal speakers. Love mine
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

I would use Crutchfield. They have a good website or you can call and talk to someone who knows what they are doing. They will send you everything you need for your install and they will get you speakers that will work with your existing system. You have 60 days to change your mind if you are not happy with the new ones. I went with JVC and they do the job but I am not super picky.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Crutchfield perfected this deal long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:12 AM   #8
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotney View Post
this hands down.
mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 AM   #9
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I notice when I change out the factory speakers that I lose a lot of midbass. If you like the higher range, then you’re fine. Factory head units, and aftermarket for that matter, rarely drive speakers well enough.

I’d consider amplifying them if I was you. Find a nice spot under one of your front seats and you will hardly notice it’s there.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

For what youíre looking for my go to set up would be Boston acoustic speakers in the doors and a 4 channel alpine amp under the front seat.

Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
RJK70
Pope & Young

Default Truck Speaker upgrade Question

Thanks guys!

Iím leaning toward going with a Kenwood Excelon Multimedia Head Unit. Likely with the Focal speakers as the reviews say they have good mid and bass. After the comments I might add a four channel amp if itís not too hard to do. All from Crutchfield.

Last edited by RJK70; 02-14-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #12
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I need to do the same thing. Just went from a King Ranch with all Sony speakers to an XLT with crappy ones, I’m ready for a change.
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Call Crutchfield. They will point you in the right direction. Awesome people to work with, and will help you step by step with installing it too.

I got a set of really nice Infinity speakers for my car. I think I spent like $200, and they are 10x better than what was in there.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #14
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotney View Post

This!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #15
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Tagged.

Planned on upgrading my speakers in my 2017 F150 this year and almost kicking around the idea of changing the screen to one of the Phoenix 12.1" or Linkswell telsa screens but waiting for more and more reviews to trickle out.

Last edited by 150class; 02-14-2020 at 04:35 PM.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Also for true improvements you need to replace your head unit as well. Do you try to improve your picture quality of your DVD player by buying a new tv???? No. You buy a new blueray or 4kplayer. Speakers will only be as good as the signal feeding them. I would actually get a new head unit over just new door speakers.

Or keep your head unit and get a 5 channel amp. (You will have the sub out in case you want it later) and get a equalizer to adjust the output signal coming from your factory head unit before it gets to the amp.

I wouldnít hesitate to get the kicker all in one kit, assuming all the right stuff is there.

I just retroed my whole audio system in my tundra using all original wiring. Found a site online that sold everything needed for $699. Best sounding audio Iíve ever had in a vehicle.

What is your budget? I can help.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #17
RJK70
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Also for true improvements you need to replace your head unit as well. Do you try to improve your picture quality of your DVD player by buying a new tv???? No. You buy a new blueray or 4kplayer. Speakers will only be as good as the signal feeding them. I would actually get a new head unit over just new door speakers.

Or keep your head unit and get a 5 channel amp. (You will have the sub out in case you want it later) and get a equalizer to adjust the output signal coming from your factory head unit before it gets to the amp.

I wouldnít hesitate to get the kicker all in one kit, assuming all the right stuff is there.

I just retroed my whole audio system in my tundra using all original wiring. Found a site online that sold everything needed for $699. Best sounding audio Iíve ever had in a vehicle.

What is your budget? I can help.

Actually I do plan on replacing the head unit. I am either looking at a Kenwood Excelon multimedia unit with wireless Apple car play. Also looking at an alpine with a 9Ē screen. Was not planning on doing a four channel amp but might if itís not too much trouble.

Will look into the kicker sets.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #18
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK70 View Post
Actually I do plan on replacing the head unit. I am either looking at a Kenwood Excelon multimedia unit with wireless Apple car play. Also looking at an alpine with a 9Ē screen. Was not planning on doing a four channel amp but might if itís not too much trouble.

Will look into the kicker sets.

Whatís your budget?? Alpine has a complete plug and play kit with 2 amps and sub and all door speakers for $15000. Probably a 6 hour install. You will never need to touch it again

Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
RJK70
Pope & Young

Quote:
Whatís your budget?? Alpine has a complete plug and play kit with 2 amps and sub and all door speakers for $15000. Probably a 6 hour install. You will never need to touch it again

I canít do $15,000, haha

$1,500 is probably do-able.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #20
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
I canít do $15,000, haha

$1,500 is probably do-able.

Lol I meant $1500. But I went back to look and the google machine pulled up the wrong stuff. You are very limited (from crutchfeild anyway). I will pm my number. Call and I can help with info at least or a good starting point.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Lol I meant $1500. But I went back to look and the google machine pulled up the wrong stuff. You are very limited (from crutchfeild anyway). I will pm my number. Call and I can help with info at least or a good starting point.

Thatís funny! I was reading this thread because i want to upgrade a 2014 Ram.
I saw the 15,000 and cracked up. Didnít think we would get too many takers at that cost. It would be cheaper to buy a new truck😂.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #22
RJK70
Pope & Young

Sorry I havenít posted in awhile but I ended up getting involved with Crutchfield and they got me setup!

Ended up going with a Kenwood Excelon Multimedia unit with hands free Apple Carplay. Also bought the maestro system and brackets to retain all the factory functionality. The install of this equipment was not easy but each time I got stuck Crutchfield was just a call away and they walked me through my questions. The new maestro bracket also gives me a large pocket that Iíd didnít have on the dash before. The pocket added two USB ports, hdmi, and headphone type. So far I love the setup

While I was at it I added Focal 6x9ís in the front door and Focal 6.5Ē in the rear. Also purchased deadening mats and foam surrounds for all the speakers. Crutchfield provided brackets and wiring harnesses. What an upgrade.

Now the only question, is do I add a small sub to round out the sound?? I wouldnít want any earth shaking system just something to give it a total sound and doesnít take up much space.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #23
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Quote:

Sorry I havenít posted in awhile but I ended up getting involved with Crutchfield and they got me setup!

Ended up going with a Kenwood Excelon Multimedia unit with hands free Apple Carplay. Also bought the maestro system and brackets to retain all the factory functionality. The install of this equipment was not easy but each time I got stuck Crutchfield was just a call away and they walked me through my questions. The new maestro bracket also gives me a large pocket that Iíd didnít have on the dash before. The pocket added two USB ports, hdmi, and headphone type. So far I love the setup

While I was at it I added Focal 6x9ís in the front door and Focal 6.5Ē in the rear. Also purchased deadening mats and foam surrounds for all the speakers. Crutchfield provided brackets and wiring harnesses. What an upgrade.

Now the only question, is do I add a small sub to round out the sound?? I wouldnít want any earth shaking system just something to give it a total sound and doesnít take up much space.

Hah I have virtually the exact same system. I did add a 10Ē W3 sub in a custom enclosure behind my rear seat. It has a dedicated bass knob in case I want to add the extra bass but overall-itís one bad mo fo. Crisp enough for a symphony set and loud enough to turn on for a party around the non fire.

mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #24
topwater blowup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

JL Audio C7 kit.. you will not want to get out of your vehicle.
topwater blowup is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #25
RJK70
Pope & Young

Thatís guys. I need to research what sub options is out there.