Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default Satellite for RV

My RV satellite has crapped out.

Question do I have to have Direct TV or Dish to use a satellite dish?

I camp in areas that a regular antenna will not work.

Can I cancel Direct TV and buy a dish that will pick up channels that a normal antenna will?

Thanks
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
175gr7.62
Ten Point
 
175gr7.62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,
Default

What do mean ďcrapped outĒ? Satellite TV and over the air TV are totally different things. If you have home satellite television itís pretty easy to take on the road with you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
bownut
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Palestine TX
Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.
^^^^this
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 12:18 AM   #5
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.
This^^^ right here. To easy and cheap, Iíve got the same thing
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 AM   #6
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
What do mean ďcrapped outĒ? Satellite TV and over the air TV are totally different things. If you have home satellite television itís pretty easy to take on the road with you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Direct TV portable automatic satellite will no longer find and lock onto a signal. It just searches. Itís about 16 yrs old
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.
Do you have a bare bones Dish plan that only gets the basic local channels at home?

Currently I have Direct TV. 2 receivers at the house. One in my RV. One at the lease.

The main reason I have Direct TV is because we camp in Colorado for a month or two where an antenna will not get reception.

Since my automatic satellite has broken Iím trying to see if there is a cheaper route per month and a replacement satellite is around $500.

What is Dash? I did a search without luck.

Thanks
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 05:17 AM   #8
Abcdj
Pope & Young
 
Abcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Can & Brenham
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.
I dont want to hijack the op's thread

Question, I did this at the lease for 11 years with our old dish equipment.

We then moved our home to a new city and had to have our new house set up for dish. The tech came out and looked at our equipment and said it was ancient and needed replacing.

He called hq and upgraded us to a hopper and joey system. He told me I could not do what I was doing with the old reciever at the lease with the new hopper and joey system we were getting.

Question ? Is this true about a hopper and joey system?
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
No-Tox
Eight Point
 
No-Tox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rockwall County
Hunt In: Ellis County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.B. View Post
Do you have a bare bones Dish plan that only gets the basic local channels at home?



Currently I have Direct TV. 2 receivers at the house. One in my RV. One at the lease.



The main reason I have Direct TV is because we camp in Colorado for a month or two where an antenna will not get reception.



Since my automatic satellite has broken Iím trying to see if there is a cheaper route per month and a replacement satellite is around $500.



What is Dash? I did a search without luck.



Thanks
I'm pretty sure he meant Dish.
You probably just need to find a used satellite dish to replace yours that broke. Is it that the auto find is out on your current RV dish? Can you manually turn it?
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant Dish.
You probably just need to find a used satellite dish to replace yours that broke. Is it that the auto find is out on your current RV dish? Can you manually turn it?
I have a Tail Gater type systems.

You pull up, plug it in and it finds the satellite automatically. Saves a lot of time and headache. It no longer finds the satellite.

The only reason I have Direct TV is because we can take this system with us and get signal where a normal antenna will not pick up.

I keep hearing about Hulu, Fire Sticks etc and was hoping in the last 16 yrs that technology had changed.

I guess not. Iíll pay the $500 for a new system and Direct TV fee of $111.00 a month.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
bullhead44
Ten Point
 
bullhead44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: collinsville tx
Default

If you have dish network, you can access dish anywhere thru your smart phone if you have service. you can buy a chord that will connect to you tv thru the hdmi connection
bullhead44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
I dont want to hijack the op's thread

Question, I did this at the lease for 11 years with our old dish equipment.

We then moved our home to a new city and had to have our new house set up for dish. The tech came out and looked at our equipment and said it was ancient and needed replacing.

He called hq and upgraded us to a hopper and joey system. He told me I could not do what I was doing with the old reciever at the lease with the new hopper and joey system we were getting.

Question ? Is this true about a hopper and joey system?
When I first started having issues with my system I contacted Direct TV and the lady on the phone LIED to me. She said that my system was out dated, it is. She said that Direct TV would stop sending a signal to it at the end of the month and I had to have a new system installed. That was a lie.

The tech showed up and I explained what I was doing. The new system, Direct TV calls it Genie, is a master slave set up.

Your main box sends a signal to all the other boxes in the house. So you canít move one of the slave boxes to the lease as it does not have a master box to send the signal.

The Tech told me she lied about Direct TV stopping the signal to the old box. She gets a bonus by signing up people to get a new system.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
If you have dish network, you can access dish anywhere thru your smart phone if you have service. you can buy a chord that will connect to you tv thru the hdmi connection
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I donít get phone service in the canyon where I camp.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
Paycheck
Ten Point
 
Paycheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Waco
Default

I am in for this to.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #15
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Dish makes this easy. We have Dish at home and have Dish Wally receivers both at camp connected to a fixed dish and in the Motorhome that either connects to a Winegaurd automatic in motion dish or to a Tailgater of trees block the Winegaurd. I think we pay $7 per month for each receiver.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
BigL
Pope & Young
 
BigL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.B. View Post
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don’t get phone service in the canyon where I camp.
That sucks.

My suggestion won't work for you then but will post for others if they are looking. I have a Roku connected to the TV and set my phone up as the hotspot. Same service on the road or lease as I have at home with YouTube TV, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu and Netflix. Alot of campgrounds have free WiFi so works great at those

Last edited by BigL; 02-15-2020 at 10:44 AM.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
sling shot
Eight Point
 
sling shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Splendora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Dish makes this easy. We have Dish at home and have Dish Wally receivers both at camp connected to a fixed dish and in the Motorhome that either connects to a Winegaurd automatic in motion dish or to a Tailgater of trees block the Winegaurd. I think we pay $7 per month for each receiver.
This is what we do

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
sling shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #18
M.E.B.
Ten Point
 
M.E.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Dish makes this easy. We have Dish at home and have Dish Wally receivers both at camp connected to a fixed dish and in the Motorhome that either connects to a Winegaurd automatic in motion dish or to a Tailgater of trees block the Winegaurd. I think we pay $7 per month for each receiver.
I do the same.

I was hoping that one of the antenna systems could be picked up by the satellite dish. Didnít think so but I could manage without Direct TV if it were not for the 2-3 months of the year when I am sometimes without antenna signal.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #19
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.B. View Post
I do the same.



I was hoping that one of the antenna systems could be picked up by the satellite dish. Didnít think so but I could manage without Direct TV if it were not for the 2-3 months of the year when I am sometimes without antenna signal.


Why not try Dish over Direct?
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #20
Smithwr
Ten Point
 
Smithwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midlothian TX
Hunt In: Vernon TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
I dont want to hijack the op's thread

Question, I did this at the lease for 11 years with our old dish equipment.

We then moved our home to a new city and had to have our new house set up for dish. The tech came out and looked at our equipment and said it was ancient and needed replacing.

He called hq and upgraded us to a hopper and joey system. He told me I could not do what I was doing with the old reciever at the lease with the new hopper and joey system we were getting.

Question ? Is this true about a hopper and joey system?

Yes because the Joey is wireless. Itís streaming off the hopper basically.
Smithwr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young
 
Atfulldraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hill Country
Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado
Default

wineguard here as well - ours is permanently mounted on the rv since it will work even when you are going down the road (which is completely useless to me since I'm usually driving )

The tailgater is a great system.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
wineguard here as well - ours is permanently mounted on the rv since it will work even when you are going down the road (which is completely useless to me since I'm usually driving )

The tailgater is a great system.


Our winegaurd is permanently mounted as well, tailgater is just backup if there too many trees for the winegaurd to get signal.

Lots of technology we almost never use....
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com