Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
sharkhunter
Pope & Young
 
sharkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tarkington , TX
Hunt In: In the woods
Default TBH Bee Keepers

How many bee keepers do we have on TBH ? Any of you going to put out swarm traps at your leases ? Post up pictures if you have them of your hives or swarm traps. I started 3 hives last spring and they’re doing well (fingers crossed).
Attached Images
 

Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-30-2020 at 09:11 PM.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
dxtbowhunter
Four Point
 
dxtbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: grandview
Hunt In: Texas and Kansas
Default

Gettingtwo nucs this spring.
dxtbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
scott123456789
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Weatherford, TX
Hunt In: Lone Camp, TX
Default

We have gone through two hives the past two years. Not sure if we are going to try again this yearZ
scott123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
4_Fingers
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

More work/cost than you know going in....
4_Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:56 AM   #5
bowhuntvideo
Ten Point
 
bowhuntvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

Struggling beekeepers. Wax moths, ants, beetles and who knows what else have sabotaged our hives. Taking classes now for another go at it this spring. Second class this Saturday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 06:17 AM   #6
Ferg
Eight Point
 
Ferg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tyler
Default

we have about 25 hives, putting traps out in March. My wife and I have so much fun with this hobby.
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #7
sharkhunter
Pope & Young
 
sharkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tarkington , TX
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
Struggling beekeepers. Wax moths, ants, beetles and who knows what else have sabotaged our hives. Taking classes now for another go at it this spring. Second class this Saturday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing that has really helped me with the ants and beetles and it was really luck because I really had no idea what I was doing is putting down something that seals the ground under the hives. That really helps with the pest. Also keeping the entrance small. The two big killers of hives though are the mites and running out of food during and just after winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_Fingers View Post
More work/cost than you know going in....
You got that right! I’ve saved my receipts and I think I have about $1800 in it so far with a wish list a mile long. The one thing I wish I had done different was get an untra breeze vented jacket from the start. They are expensive but with our Texas summers a cotton jacket just about kills me in the heat.

Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-31-2020 at 07:11 AM.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

If any of you bee keepers sell honey, especially honey comb. Feel free to send me a message I would like to give you some $ in exchange for your hard work.
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fruitvale, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
we have about 25 hives, putting traps out in March. My wife and I have so much fun with this hobby.
Ferg I am over here in Fruitvale. At some point in time I plan on getting some bees. Any chance you could help a brother out and give my some advice on what to do when that time comes? On this I am as green as grass.

Thanks.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: East tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
we have about 25 hives, putting traps out in March. My wife and I have so much fun with this hobby.
Wow itís obvious you have learned the process well. How long have yíall been into this hobby?
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: East tx
Default

Not to high jack your thread but I have been hearing of more people getting into this as a hobby and enjoying it. I wonder if the ag exemption eligibility has played a part in it? If nothing else it could be a good side benefit.

Last edited by tps7742; 01-31-2020 at 09:03 AM.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

We have some hives but they are owned by some friends

We just get a few pounds of honey for "rent"
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #13
mcbZX225
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Hunt In: Atoka Co.
Default

If anyone is looking for property to establish some in Grayson Co. we are interested having some set up on our property. Thanks
mcbZX225 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
Struggling beekeepers. Wax moths, ants, beetles and who knows what else have sabotaged our hives. Taking classes now for another go at it this spring. Second class this Saturday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My son and I started keeping bees. Its my first year his 2nd. I can tell you some of what we learned. I have 3 hives, 2 are fine, one absconded.

Ants-I mixed veg oil and cinnamon, poured it on the ground around the hive, no more ants.
Beetles- keep the hive in full sun. Keeps beetles numbers low, bees will kill or push beetles out. There are also medication/fogs that some keepers use.
Wax Moths-Medicating/Fog
Feed the bees during the Fall-Winter sugar water, if there are not any late blooming flowers. I am presently setting up my yard with late Summer, Fall, Winter blooming flowers for bees.

Im green as a gourd in beekeeping, but we have recovered about 10-12 in late Summer. Kept lots of honey. Saved millions of bees. It has been worth it. Keep at it.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #15
hog_down
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Beetles- keep the hive in full sun. Keeps beetles numbers low, bees will kill or push beetles out.
Agreed, and the beetle traps that you fill with oil/diatomaceous earth help too. Hate those little *******s. I kill everyone I see when I am in my hives. I have 2 in my back yard in Houston area. MASTERS has a bunch, and he knows what he's talking about. He posted some beautiful pics of his hives/comb/honey. My neighbor down my street saw my hives and I talked him into getting one, and he put it in his treehouse.

I agree with what was mentioned above, as far as people getting into the hobby for the agriculture exemption. Also, a lot more media has brought up the fact that bees are VERY important to pollination and voted by many intelligent people as "the most important species on earth."
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #16
GLM
Eight Point
 
GLM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kingwood, TX
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Built my first hive and a friend put a queen and bees in it last year. Should be harvesting our first honey in a few months.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #17
BuckySWT
Ten Point
 
BuckySWT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Hunt In: Menard County
Default

Aspiring beek here.
I've been reading a ton and following several FB groups just taking it all in.
I have a buddy who is switching over to ten frame hives and is getting rid of all his 8 frame stuff, so I'm going to take those off his hands to get started. Should have enough to do up to 12 hives. I'm starting with 3
Hoping to start up this spring, but it'll likely be next year with this Lyme's BS. Starting a new drug on monday and will be on it for 6 months. I'm starting nothing new till that's done
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
Hogmauler
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Never had any idea that bee keeping could be so labor intensive. But I would love to be in a place where I could get involved in it. One question comes to mind right off. How do bee colony’s survive in the wild against ants, wax moths, beetles, predators etc when they don’t have a keeper actively trying to protect them from the above mentioned predators or weather conditions?
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Never had any idea that bee keeping could be so labor intensive. But I would love to be in a place where I could get involved in it. One question comes to mind right off. How do bee colonyís survive in the wild against ants, wax moths, beetles, predators etc when they donít have a keeper actively trying to protect them from the above mentioned predators or weather conditions?
Most of them probably don't
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #20
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
Not to high jack your thread but I have been hearing of more people getting into this as a hobby and enjoying it. I wonder if the ag exemption eligibility has played a part in it? If nothing else it could be a good side benefit.


What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:13 PM   #21
gigem95
Ten Point
 
gigem95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Itís county by county. In Brazos itís 5 acres minimum and then there is minimum number of hives per acre. Check with your appraisal district.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gigem95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #22
gigem95
Ten Point
 
gigem95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
Itís county by county. In Brazos itís 5 acres minimum and then there is minimum number of hives per acre. Check with your appraisal district.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For example:





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gigem95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
tex4k
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Big Lake TX.
Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Never had any idea that bee keeping could be so labor intensive. But I would love to be in a place where I could get involved in it. One question comes to mind right off. How do bee colonyís survive in the wild against ants, wax moths, beetles, predators etc when they donít have a keeper actively trying to protect them from the above mentioned predators or weather conditions?
I put out swarm traps to catch feral bees that have been doing just that, I'll still lose bees to some of those things, it just don't hurt as bad as losing that many after paying close to $200 to get them here so I can watch them die or take off for parts unknown!

3 hives so far.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #24
Hogmauler
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Wow that’s crazy and expensive!
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #25
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...
Default

My uncle has two hives in Fairfield. I don’t know what kind of flowers the bees get into up there but that is the most intensely sweet honey I have ever had
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #26
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
For example:





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks for the info!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #27
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default

I lost 3 hives after Harvey, C-130s spraying for mosquitos. Cleaned boxes and next summer I had a wild swarm move into my box. Itís the strongest/healthiest hive Iíve had, but they did not like me opening the box this fall. I had to evacuate, never had a full-on assault like that before, and honestly not excited to try and re-queen, but thatís whatís probably needed. I donít suspect they are Africanized as I can mow next to the hive etc, but twice I opened the lid and they went ape schlitz crazy on me.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #28
Hogmauler
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Texas
Default

So sooner or later your gonna hafta open it to harvest the honey! Doesn’t smoke work to calm them down?
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #29
lovetohunt
Ten Point
 
lovetohunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Tx
Hunt In: Young County
Default

I have 5 hives
lovetohunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #30
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

We have so many dam bee's it's stupid. In the Robert Lee area so if any of the "bee folks" are in the San Angelo/Robert Lee area let me know and maybe we can work something out. A new hive invaded our deer lease RV this past year and it was a chore to get them out. I'm allergic, seriously so it's a BIG deal for me. I know we need them but I'm fed up with the little f^%#$#$'s!

Send me a pm if you are in our area and we can talk. We still have bee's around but I want them ALL gone so I can relax and not be in fear of getting stung!! Oh, can't go anywhere on our acres without taking my Epi Pen with me!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #31
BarW
Eight Point
 
BarW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodville, Tx
Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
I lost 3 hives after Harvey, C-130s spraying for mosquitos. Cleaned boxes and next summer I had a wild swarm move into my box. Itís the strongest/healthiest hive Iíve had, but they did not like me opening the box this fall. I had to evacuate, never had a full-on assault like that before, and honestly not excited to try and re-queen, but thatís whatís probably needed. I donít suspect they are Africanized as I can mow next to the hive etc, but twice I opened the lid and they went ape schlitz crazy on me.
I've had hives in the past that would be hard to deal with one day and completely docile the next.


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #32
Roscoe
Pope & Young
 
Roscoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Penelope, TX
Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
The one thing I wish I had done different was get an untra breeze vented jacket from the start. They are expensive but with our Texas summers a cotton jacket just about kills me in the heat.
I got the full ultra breeze suit when we started with bees last year. Feels very heavy when you are putting it because it is. When itís hot out I typically wear just boots, shorts and a tshirt. Itís worth every penny. Iíve worn a standard cotton bee suit in hot weather before and it does roast you. This suit is do much cooler and if there is a breeze it is very comfortable. When you look at it, it sure looks like you should get stung wearing it, but not once yet.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #33
Roscoe
Pope & Young
 
Roscoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Penelope, TX
Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
So sooner or later your gonna hafta open it to harvest the honey! Doesnít smoke work to calm them down?

Yeah it calms them down but sometimes they are just pissy.

Over time you can change the attitude of a hive with the right queen. There is such a quick turnover (life cycle) of bees in a hive that a good natured queen can completely transform a hive in a few months.

One of the hives on our place went from ďgreetingĒ you when you were 50 yards from the hive and following you for quarter mile when you left, to being very easy to deal over a few months. That was all based on re-queening the hive.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 09:40 PM   #34
MetalMan2004
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
Agreed, and the beetle traps that you fill with oil/diatomaceous earth help too. Hate those little *******s. I kill everyone I see when I am in my hives. I have 2 in my back yard in Houston area. MASTERS has a bunch, and he knows what he's talking about. He posted some beautiful pics of his hives/comb/honey. My neighbor down my street saw my hives and I talked him into getting one, and he put it in his treehouse.

I agree with what was mentioned above, as far as people getting into the hobby for the agriculture exemption. Also, a lot more media has brought up the fact that bees are VERY important to pollination and voted by many intelligent people as "the most important species on earth."
Iíd like to buy you a drink sometime and pick your brain about keeping in a neighborhood. Weíve moved to an area where I think we can manage bees in the backyard. I figure the easiest way to start is to get local advice.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 10:15 PM   #35
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Forney, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
Ferg I am over here in Fruitvale. At some point in time I plan on getting some bees. Any chance you could help a brother out and give my some advice on what to do when that time comes? On this I am as green as grass.

Thanks.

-john
Hey John, the beekeeper that tends to my 9 hives at my property is the President of the North East Texas Bee Association and lives in Canton. PM me if you would like me to get you in touch with him. He would probably be more than willing to help you out.
Iím pretty sure they have meetings on a fairly regular basis as well.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #36
tex4k
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Big Lake TX.
Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
We have so many dam bee's it's stupid. In the Robert Lee area so if any of the "bee folks" are in the San Angelo/Robert Lee area let me know and maybe we can work something out. A new hive invaded our deer lease RV this past year and it was a chore to get them out. I'm allergic, seriously so it's a BIG deal for me. I know we need them but I'm fed up with the little f^%#$#$'s!

Send me a pm if you are in our area and we can talk. We still have bee's around but I want them ALL gone so I can relax and not be in fear of getting stung!! Oh, can't go anywhere on our acres without taking my Epi Pen with me!!
Pm sent with contact.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 10:21 PM   #37
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
I've had hives in the past that would be hard to deal with one day and completely docile the next.


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


Thatís what I was hoping for the second time I opened them, lol. I let them bee and will try it again in the spring pollen run. I have two supers on it and expect Iíll have some tasty dark honey this spring.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #38
ShoootLow
Ten Point
 
ShoootLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery Co.
Hunt In: Most of Texas
Default

To be clear, Iíve kept a few hives for about ten years now. Still donít know everything, but Iíve learned sometimes they just arenít in the mood. Iím not really that interested in harvesting much, but want to make sure the hive is healthy inside. Id like to try to split the hive this spring, have two empty boxes.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #39
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point
 
TTU TX Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Krum, TX
Hunt In: Archer, Denton and Jack county
Default

I have 6 hives here at the house for 5 acres of AG. I just so happened to grow up with a friend whose dad is a large bee keeper in Texas and he is one now as well. A couple summers in college I worked for them and learned quite a bit. I’d way rather have bees than cows!
TTU TX Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 PM   #40
Hogmauler
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Texas
Default

So I guess the queen determines the disposition of the hive just like a wife does the house. Happy wife happy life!
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:16 PM   #41
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
I've had hives in the past that would be hard to deal with one day and completely docile the next.


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This. One day I have taken the lid off the hives, no suit, no problem. Then sometimes I cant even sit close the hive and they are hitting me. No clue what the difference is.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #42
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young
 
junkmanhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Flower Mound
Hunt In: Santo / anywhere invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know in Cooke county you must have 6 acres minimum. I have 13 acres and have to have 9 hives to try and get my AG exempt.

Check your county AG page
junkmanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #43
El Viejo
Pope & Young
 
El Viejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Formerly Mission, now Irving
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
So I guess the queen determines the disposition of the hive just like a wife does the house. Happy wife happy life!
In a sense, yes. I know one beekeeper in particular who will take a pizzy wild caught hive and requeen it with a docile one, and within a few months all the pizzy ones will die off and more docile workers have taken their place. It's a fascinating hobby.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 12:26 AM   #44
BarW
Eight Point
 
BarW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodville, Tx
Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
Thatís what I was hoping for the second time I opened them, lol. I let them bee and will try it again in the spring pollen run. I have two supers on it and expect Iíll have some tasty dark honey this spring.
The golden rod that blooms in the late summer fall will sometimes give honey a bad taste if you leave it all fall and collect in spring. Doesnt always happen. I normally harvest first week in july then remove the honey supers and treat the hives for mites. That being said there are at least 6000 different ways to manage bees.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 01:28 AM   #45
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Forney, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher County
Default TBH Bee Keepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As stated the regs vary by county. Kaufman county requires a minimum of 5 acres and a maximum of 20 to qualify for ag exemption. You also have to show proof of at least 5 years of prior ag exemption if Iím not mistaken.
I have 10 acres and 9 hives.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 05:10 AM   #46
Ferg
Eight Point
 
Ferg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tyler
Default

We have been keeping bees about 5 or 6 years, we raise and sell bees, raise queens, rescue swarms, do a few bee removals from homes and trap bees with swarm traps In my opinion the most important thing a new bee keeper can do is join a local bee club and get an experienced mentor
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #47
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young
 
rjtkdplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lockhart
Hunt In: Everywhere I can
Default

Iím beginning my 9th year. 30 hives now and I do removals for 2 of our local water systems so Iíll probably be up to 45-50 by this time next year. I sell a lot of honey as well as nucs and full sized hives. Fun hobby that has become profitable
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #48
sharkhunter
Pope & Young
 
sharkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tarkington , TX
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtkdplus View Post
I’m beginning my 9th year. 30 hives now and I do removals for 2 of our local water systems so I’ll probably be up to 45-50 by this time next year. I sell a lot of honey as well as nucs and full sized hives. Fun hobby that has become profitable
Thats awesome ! That’s where I want to be in 3 or 4 years. I plan on splitting my three hives. I might even get two spots out of the strongest one and I’ll be putting out 10 to 15 swarm traps on our deer lease. Lots of bee keepers in the area so there’s a pretty good chance any swarm I catch might be feral bees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
We have been keeping bees about 5 or 6 years, we raise and sell bees, raise queens, rescue swarms, do a few bee removals from homes and trap bees with swarm traps In my opinion the most important thing a new bee keeper can do is join a local bee club and get an experienced mentor
I’ll be honest I’ve had a few experienced bee keepers advise me but to find a true “mentor” is pretty hard to do unless you’re a pretty lady then every bee keeper in a 100 mile radius will want to mentor you lol! I joined one club but was not satisfied with the info I was getting so I joined another in the next county that’s pretty large and actually has a mentor program. That and read read read and YouTube. I really like the “Walls Bee Man” he’s super easy to follow and just a smart bee keeper. One thing I found out is there are a 100 different ways to raise bees and several methods/mind sets you can be successful with. There is also a ton of miss information that you have to weed through. This makes it a little tuff on a new guy.

Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-01-2020 at 02:12 PM.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #49
Ferg
Eight Point
 
Ferg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tyler
Default

one thing I have learned in Bee keeping, ask 10 Bee keepers the same question and get 10 different right answers. You will have to decide how you want to manage your bees and how much time you want to spend managing them.
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #50
TXHunter12
Ten Point
 
TXHunter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
one thing I have learned in Bee keeping, ask 10 Bee keepers the same question and get 10 different right answers. You will have to decide how you want to manage your bees and how much time you want to spend managing them.
Location can affect things a lot
TXHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com