Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #51
SabineHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
People make a living on the water and they have a right to. How much money does it take to buy someone out of his livelihood when they likely do not have another choice?

Hopefully, when TPWD has the oyster mariculture regulations in place that gives oystermen another avenue for making a living and oyster license buybacks pick up.

I don't think GW's are looking the other way. There are only so many of them patrolling an enormous area.
As you know, the buyback is not a forced sale, but when the offer gets high enough, they will sell. It happened with the shrimpers. These oystermen will descend upon a reef and wipe it out in a day or two. Oysters are very important to the eco system and we need oysters a whole lot more than we need oyster harvesters. Oyster farming is a long way from happening to take away from the wild take. All fishermen need to boycott and stop buying oysters. I have.

SH
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #52
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
People make a living on the water and they have a right to. How much money does it take to buy someone out of his livelihood when they likely do not have another choice?

Hopefully, when TPWD has the oyster mariculture regulations in place that gives oystermen another avenue for making a living and oyster license buybacks pick up.

I don't think GW's are looking the other way. There are only so many of them patrolling an enormous area.
Before the dredges their livelyhood still existed. They could use tongs all they wanted. When they allowed dredges all the fat lazy's came out of the wood work and got to dredging quick fast and in a hurry. Gone was the habitat for the trout.
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #53
SabineHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
They stopped the dredging but it was too late. Entire long time reefs are completely gone.
Dang! We don't need this in Texas. Also, the GW do need to up their surveillance of oystermen. Every time they step onboard, they find multiple violations. GWs need to keep doing it until the oystermen get it right or tired of it and sell out to the buyback program. I have no sympathy for the destroyers of oyster beds.

SH
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #54
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
They stopped the dredging but it was too late. Entire long time reefs are completely gone.
That sucks.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #55
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
That sucks.
I used to be a real big trout fisherman. Fished all the tourneys, fished for only big trout. I once fished a tourney that paid the top 20. I took 18th place at the time with a 6.26. 20th place was 6.22 or some such. 20 fish over 6. The next year I tied for 1st with a fish over 8. Ever since they dropped the limit to 10 we seemed inundated with pickles. No more were the big fish. It became a miracle to see a 5lber. Then came the dredges. I don't even go to the lake with a rod n reel anymore. Only in October to catch my shrimp and then it's back to bow hunting. There is a young man that is going to marry my niece next Friday. He guides for Grosse Savanne in south Lake Charles. He's eat up with the trout fishing but he wants to catch a big one. He tells me all the time how he wished he was around when I was tourney fishing. He's looking at going out of state just so he can try for a fish over 5
Old 07-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #56
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

We have the same issue here with losing oyster reefs but it isnít due to dredging. Hurricanes, floods, droughts etc. all kill oysters. Dredge baskets donít get all the oysters, and thereís a size limit on them. Small oysters go right back on the reef.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #57
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
I used to be a real big trout fisherman. Fished all the tourneys, fished for only big trout. I once fished a tourney that paid the top 20. I took 18th place at the time with a 6.26. 20th place was 6.22 or some such. 20 fish over 6. The next year I tied for 1st with a fish over 8. Ever since they dropped the limit to 10 we seemed inundated with pickles. No more were the big fish. It became a miracle to see a 5lber. Then came the dredges. I don't even go to the lake with a rod n reel anymore. Only in October to catch my shrimp and then it's back to bow hunting. There is a young man that is going to marry my niece next Friday. He guides for Grosse Savanne in south Lake Charles. He's eat up with the trout fishing but he wants to catch a big one. He tells me all the time how he wished he was around when I was tourney fishing. He's looking at going out of state just so he can try for a fish over 5
The 10 fish limit and not having the big fish doesn't have any correlation.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #58
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Speaking of Grosse Savanne I’ll be there next weekend.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #59
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Small oysters go right back on the reef.
They're supposed to go back on the reef. Also, all discarded shell is supposed to go back on the reef. None of that happened here. It took too long to sit on the reef to discard shell, they did that while they were underway. They blessed us with all kinds of regs that were going to make dredging possible and boom, in a matter of a few years they raped the entire ecosystem.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #60
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Speaking of Grosse Savanne Iíll be there next weekend.
Well Andrew will not be your guide lol. He will be getting married to my niece.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #61
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
The 10 fish limit and not having the big fish doesn't have any correlation.
Perhaps they don't and I'm not saying that it was the cause. I'm just noting about when we quit seeing big fish. I know there are a number of factors, weirs blocking the marsh, hurricanes, pressure and so on and so forth. Didn't mean to mislead.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #62
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I think it was a combo of oyster dredging and the explosion of guide numbers over there. I believe 2014 was the last year we were catching solid numbers of 5+ lb trout on Sabine, which was mirroring over there. The huge influx of freshwater at all the wrong times is what I think has hurt Sabine so much, but I did hear of a 32” trout being caught this year, which I haven’t heard any news like that in a long time.

I also think the huge increase in shrimpers and crabbers in the marsh bayous and drains have not helped either. Heck, there are folks running crab traps where I used to duck hunt in LA.
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #63
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
I think it was a combo of oyster dredging and the explosion of guide numbers over there. I believe 2014 was the last year we were catching solid numbers of 5+ lb trout on Sabine, which was mirroring over there. The huge influx of freshwater at all the wrong times is what I think has hurt Sabine so much, but I did hear of a 32Ē trout being caught this year, which I havenít heard any news like that in a long time.

I also think the huge increase in shrimpers and crabbers in the marsh bayous and drains have not helped either. Heck, there are folks running crab traps where I used to duck hunt in LA.
We gotta dodge the Hmong boats during duck season.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #64
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:
Oystermen were not the cause of the decline of big trout.......
East Matagorda Bay has lost almost 90% of its live shell do to parasites and high salinity levels, yet produces trophy trout everyday
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #65
uttlc
Four Point

Hunt In: Telegraph

This is what they emailed me when I asked about it back in January
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WeatherbyCCA Spec Sheet.pdf (943.7 KB, 90 views)
uttlc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #66
Nate Riley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
Is there fine print somewhere else? Strikes me as odd that it says ďcan receiveĒ. No bueno for sure.
I was wondering if they were drawing a distinction between "can" and "will".
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #67
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Oystermen were not the cause of the decline of big trout.......

East Matagorda Bay has lost almost 90% of its live shell do to parasites and high salinity levels, yet produces trophy trout everyday
Oh I didnt say they were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #68
chrisk
Ten Point

So where is the replacement rifle?
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #69
skeeterboud
Six Point

I called cca, twice, to get info on that gun 'offer'. one spokeswoman was unsure of barrel length, it such barrel length included length of brake, etc... I couldn't get them to give me an exact wb model.. so I passed.. and I'm not really a big cca supporter..
skeeterboud is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #70
Ground Checkin' Heavies
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freer, Tx

CCA has contacted me, trying to find out what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ground Checkin' Heavies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #71
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Around 2000 or 2001 you could catch full limits of 5 - 8 pounders. We've caught them to a little over 10 pounds back then, it was stupid. We were wading over there and it was first for the local guys to really start seeing waders on a regular basis. You'd have a boat troll around a point and you could hear the guys in the boat talking "look there ain't nobody in that boat...oh there he is, he's wading hahahaha" as they were catching their dinks.

It has drastically changed since then though, it certainly not the place it was. I think it may have been overfished quite a bit then because once the word got out every Tom **** and Harry with a boat was over there from TX. Followed by the hurricanes, ever since Holly Beach got moved into Big Lake it hasn't been the same, followed by habitat destruction form the dredging.

My best day ever we rolled out of the boat and started smoking big trout on Super Spooks, it was inssae how violently they would hit the bait and troll themselves all up in the line. You'd break one off the pure would pp back up only to be hit by another trout. I had minimum 15 fish over 8 pounds that day, had one much much bigger that I broke off and a friend had a solid 10 as well. We kept several fish each that day, but all in the 3-5 pound range and let all the big fish go, It was unreal. Days like that are long gone I'm afraid.

I'm sure there are still big fish to be caught there, you just have to get out of the boat and get after them, but it isn't as plentiful as it once was.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #72
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Around 2000 or 2001 you could catch full limits of 5 - 8 pounders. We've caught them to a little over 10 pounds back then, it was stupid. We were wading over there and it was first for the local guys to really start seeing waders on a regular basis. You'd have a boat troll around a point and you could hear the guys in the boat talking "look there ain't nobody in that boat...oh there he is, he's wading hahahaha" as they were catching their dinks.

It has drastically changed since then though, it certainly not the place it was. I think it may have been overfished quite a bit then because once the word got out every Tom **** and Harry with a boat was over there from TX. Followed by the hurricanes, ever since Holly Beach got moved into Big Lake it hasn't been the same, followed by habitat destruction form the dredging.

My best day ever we rolled out of the boat and started smoking big trout on Super Spooks, it was inssae how violently they would hit the bait and troll themselves all up in the line. You'd break one off the pure would pp back up only to be hit by another trout. I had minimum 15 fish over 8 pounds that day, had one much much bigger that I broke off and a friend had a solid 10 as well. We kept several fish each that day, but all in the 3-5 pound range and let all the big fish go, It was unreal. Days like that are long gone I'm afraid.

I'm sure there are still big fish to be caught there, you just have to get out of the boat and get after them, but it isn't as plentiful as it once was.
Yup, there were so many texas boats cuttin you off of every drift or wade. The big fish were gone and my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore. I let em have it

Old 08-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #73
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Yup, there were so many texas boats cuttin you off of every drift or wade. The big fish were gone and my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore. I let em have it

Yep. it was bad. I quit going on weekends because of this.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top