Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix

If you get a chance to watch a re-run of this race, the ending is really exciting & worth your time if you like real car races on real tracks...amazing machines.

Was on ESPN2
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Guerrero88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

They are very amazing machines. Cool sport and awesome to watch.
Guerrero88 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

That was a lot of fun to watch. What a brain-fart by Hamilton! I hope Max’s team gets it figured out for the next go round. If he were in it things would be a bit different.

Its always fun when half the cars don’t make the finish line.
MetalMan2004 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

The start is the best part, 90% of the time the rest of the race is boring. Unless you're watching it in person, some sight to see.
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
If you get a chance to watch a re-run of this race, the ending is really exciting & worth your time if you like real car races on real tracks...amazing machines.

Was on ESPN2

I was glad it was back! I was sad verstappen had engine failure last year's Austrian was an amazing finish between him and Lecler. It was a crazy finish with Hamilton getting that +5. I didn't agree with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Artos
Pope & Young

I disagree...I think Hamilton cut him off & was behind before the corner to allow him the room. I'm an enthusiast & not a F1 expert on the rules but the commentators seemed to think it was legit for the deduct??
Old 07-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Box-R
Nubbin' Buck

Hamilton can race a bit 'dirty'; he EARNED that penalty by intentionally hitting Albon who was clearly passing him.
Surprised to hear that Bottas got divorced from the Olympic swimmer !
Ferrari looks to be way off compared to the other teams.
Yes, I think we need Verstappen to give the Mercedes a run otherwise........
Box-R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Quote:
I disagree...I think Hamilton cut him off & was behind before the corner to allow him the room. I'm an enthusiast & not a F1 expert on the rules but the commentators seemed to think it was legit for the deduct??

On the replay I thought he had enough room. But like you I'm not an expert

Old 07-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Artos
Pope & Young

Well, I'm no fan of Ham...so there's also that.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Quote:
Well, I'm no fan of Ham...so there's also that.

Hahahaha I'm a fan of Verstappen personally. It was a great race I think what 9 people didn't finish?

Old 07-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSon1836 View Post
Hahahaha I'm a fan of Verstappen personally. It was a great race I think what 9 people didn't finish?

Thats right, 11 out of 20 finished. Messy race but made for good watching!
MetalMan2004 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #12
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

it was better than normal race, I have a feeling they are going to be crazy races for F1 this year with the shortened season, the have to have minimum of 8 races for it to be an official season per FIA rules, right now they have an 8 race european season, any additonal races added is pure speculation at this point. Nascar race was pretty good today too, Indycar race saturday was a snoozer unfortunatley and thats my favorite series of the three.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #13
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Was Jean Girard in the race?
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #14
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Quote:

Was on ESPN2
100% agree been a fan for years
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
F1addict
Four Point

Hunt In: Zavala Co, Hays Co, SHNF

Yes, the last 10-12 laps made the race. I also thought Hamilton didn’t give him enough room, and the penalty was earned.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Mclaren. Norris has a great race. And the second place for Leclerc was surprising, considering Ferrari struggling all weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
F1addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #16
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I'm not an F1 fan, but I caught that replay last night and it was pretty good.

It cracked me up watching all those rich old dudes standing around the monitor screens, looking at all that high tech telemetry, and systems data, and formulating high level plans... Then you have the driver holding a wheel full of buttons, controls, and data, in what amounts to a fighter jet without wings........and all of a sudden Raikonnen's (may have been someone else) right front tire just falls the hell OFF!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-06-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #17
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
The start is the best part, 90% of the time the rest of the race is boring. Unless you're watching it in person, some sight to see.
Respectfully disagree that 90% of the race is boring. These are unrestricted racing machines on a road course. There is always something to watch at every corner. the pure sound of the engines at a straightaway is incredible! It beats the heck out of nascrap with the restriction plate racing making left turns for 500 miles.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #18
F1addict
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I'm not an F1 fan, but I caught that replay last night and it was pretty good.

It cracked me up watching all those rich old dudes standing around the monitor screens, looking at all that high tech telemetry, and systems data, and formulating high level plans... Then you have the driver holding a wheel full of buttons, controls, and data, in what amounts to a fighter jet without wings........and all of a sudden Raikonnen's (may have been someone else) right front tire just falls the hell OFF!
When I started following F1 many years ago, I would think the same thing... How much do they spend on these cars, and a wheel nut breaks, taking them out of the race?!?!? Then you realize, what may have started life as a wheel nut, a team of engineers then takes and tried to make it as light as possible, etc. It makes more sense why there are failures, especially at the speeds & G forces the machinery endures.

And the Mercedes team was about to “turn down” their engines right at the half-way point of the race. What I didn’t understand was Mercedes strategy at the end... When they realized Hamilton got the 5 second penalty, why not have Hamilton pass Bottas and try to make up the time? Bottas still would have won, but MB would have gotten a 1-2 instead of 1-4 finish. Unless Bottas was concerned he could have gotten more than a 5 second lead out front...
Old 07-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1addict View Post
When I started following F1 many years ago, I would think the same thing... How much do they spend on these cars, and a wheel nut breaks, taking them out of the race?!?!? Then you realize, what may have started life as a wheel nut, a team of engineers then takes and tried to make it as light as possible, etc. It makes more sense why there are failures, especially at the speeds & G forces the machinery endures.

And the Mercedes team was about to “turn down” their engines right at the half-way point of the race. What I didn’t understand was Mercedes strategy at the end... When they realized Hamilton got the 5 second penalty, why not have Hamilton pass Bottas and try to make up the time? Bottas still would have won, but MB would have gotten a 1-2 instead of 1-4 finish. Unless Bottas was concerned he could have gotten more than a 5 second lead out front...

As far as I know from the call during the race they didn't wanna push that gearbox issue so staying in the pack allows Ham to stay in the draft streams maybe they didn't want him trying to make up that 5sec penalty bc even if the team said no how is he gonna resist the temptation of open track and not try and cut that time down. As competitive as these guys are they were probably trying to avoid a catastrophic failure

Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #20
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Politics over winning...the main reason I never watched much F1.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #21
Artos
Pope & Young

The 12,000+ rpm's & taking what appears to be rather tight turns at over 100mph is what boggles my mind...I'm trying to understand what an experience it would be to corner & handling the 5+ G's for the first time!! What I wouldn't do to take one around a track.

I would love to see some hero laps in today's F1's at Nurburgring.

I don't care if Ham was on my team...he would have to earn a pass.

Last edited by Artos; 07-06-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #22
F1addict
Four Point

Quote:
As far as I know from the call during the race they didn't wanna push that gearbox issue so staying in the pack allows Ham to stay in the draft streams maybe they didn't want him trying to make up that 5sec penalty bc even if the team said no how is he gonna resist the temptation of open track and not try and cut that time down. As competitive as these guys are they were probably trying to avoid a catastrophic failure

I guess I missed that. Makes complete sense.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #23
F1addict
Four Point

Quote:
I get it, but that IS part of the reason that attracts me to it. Combine it all with the latest in technology... it keeps me hooked.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
Drew51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton, Commanche, Grayson, and Cooke Counties

It was a great race for sure, and I'm glad it's finally back! Definitely questioned a few of Mercedes' strategy calls at the end with not getting new tires on a free pit or letting Hamilton in front of Bottas to try to preserve the 1-2 finish. The Albon incident was a bad deal for both of them. Albon was a little aggressive when a little patience, those new softs, and DRS could've made for an easy clean pass. Of course his car would've still died a couple of laps later. I was happy to see Lando get his first podium and to see the McLarens and Racing Points in the mix.
Drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #25
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Great race and very exciting.

Cannot stand the fact that Mercedes keeps topping the charts, but then again they outspend everyone 10-1....but parity is coming to F1
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #26
Drew51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton, Commanche, Grayson, and Cooke Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtontx View Post
Great race and very exciting.

Cannot stand the fact that Mercedes keeps topping the charts, but then again they outspend everyone 10-1....but parity is coming to F1
Not quite 10-1...

https://www.essentiallysports.com/wh...ne-teams-2019/
Drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #27
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

I am a HUGE fan!
Looked at both qualifying days and were in the theater room 2 hours before race start. Heck, I get all the updates on their app daily.
Sadly, both family trips (Montreal & Monaco F1 races) being cancelled this summer. We were ready for some serious racing after all the drama of last season! We are prayerful that the Austin race happens as it has been awesome the last few years. Its cool to be in the suite with the same folks every year as they literally travel with the sport. I even got a chance to talk with Mario Andreitti last year in the suite. I saw him race in 1992 in Nazareth, PA. as he loss to Fittapaldi.....talk about incredible experience so many years ago.

Quote:

Yep, it is crazy they don't have more failures........it is crazy G forces and scary speeds! We were yelling at the screen when Toto Wolf did not give the OK for Hamilton to get open air at the end......definitely could have made up that time! Bottas ran another great race and I was happy to see him on the podium again. His future with Mercedes was up in the air for months......which was crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew51 View Post
It was a great race for sure, and I'm glad it's finally back! Definitely questioned a few of Mercedes' strategy calls at the end with not getting new tires on a free pit or letting Hamilton in front of Bottas to try to preserve the 1-2 finish. The Albon incident was a bad deal for both of them. Albon was a little aggressive when a little patience, those new softs, and DRS could've made for an easy clean pass. Of course his car would've still died a couple of laps later. I was happy to see Lando get his first podium and to see the McLarens and Racing Points in the mix.
I am a huge Albon fan, the kid will be unstoppable with more time on the circuit. Lando was definitely a pleasant surprise and probably saved McLaren's backside with that podium placement. Ferrari is struggling mechanically & personnel wise. The sooner that Vettel moves on the sooner they will get things back in order......the brand won't stand for anything less. LeClerc is a gamer and wants to be about the team. Running the same track this weekend is going to be furious. Everybody will be comfortable and taking huge chances. Redbull gotta get the bugs out before Friday's qualifier as both cars gave out this week. Hamilton will be hard to deal with and I will never bet against him especially after the drama this weekend.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #28
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
Respectfully disagree that 90% of the race is boring. These are unrestricted racing machines on a road course. There is always something to watch at every corner. the pure sound of the engines at a straightaway is incredible! It beats the heck out of nascrap with the restriction plate racing making left turns for 500 miles.
No 90+% of the time after the start the race is over and very boring, thats why I much preferred nascar in the 90's, but F1 has gotten better the last 10 years but only with regulations that take the series closer to a spec series. And the sound... you should have heard them in the V10 era, Ferrari had a V12, even the V8's 2013 and prior screamed, the hybrids sound SUCKs but they are breaking track records.

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-06-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #29
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:

F1 rules have always been confusing and complicated but they are better now, the race Senna was killed in back in 1994 they had a huge wreck at the start, they actually restarted the race and let the guys who wrecked their cars go the backups, as a north american motorsports fan it was totally bizarre to me.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #30
F1addict
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
F1 rules have always been confusing and complicated but they are better now, the race Senna was killed in back in 1994 they had a huge wreck at the start, they actually restarted the race and let the guys who wrecked their cars go the backups, as a north american motorsports fan it was totally bizarre to me.
I remember watching that race like it was yesterday. That entire weekend was tragic.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #31
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew51 View Post
You are correct, let me amend my statement - Excluding Ferrari - officially 1.78 to 3.67 times what the other teams spend.

Low man - Williams - $132 Mil

MB - $484 Mil

Last edited by wellingtontx; 07-06-2020 at 10:11 PM.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #32
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

So I never was an F1 fan, but the owner of my company decided he wanted to sponsor a few cars. Just so happen to be Hamilton and Bottas, the MB cars I believe. I watched part of the race just to see what all that money was spent on.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #33
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Was they swapping paint across the finish line?
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #34
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
So I never was an F1 fan, but the owner of my company decided he wanted to sponsor a few cars. Just so happen to be Hamilton and Bottas, the MB cars I believe. I watched part of the race just to see what all that money was spent on.
IWC, MV? I saw Aramco is now a title sponsor also. Lots of money still piling into F1.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #35
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Was they swapping paint across the finish line?
Hell, if they bump wheels it takes out $1.7 million worth of plastic.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #36
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Hell, if they bump wheels it takes out $1.7 million worth of plastic.
They say it was an exciting finish, I thought maybe they were banging doors across the line.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #37
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
IWC, MV? I saw Aramco is now a title sponsor also. Lots of money still piling into F1.

INEOS. The company owner has invested in F1, a sailboat for the America’s cup, sponsored the runner to break the under 2 hour marathon, and bought the rights to the Range Rover that they just thought they were discontinuing.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #38
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
They say it was an exciting finish, I thought maybe they were banging doors across the line.
You miss the point & didn't watch did you?? I get your razzing but That is what makes open wheel F1 so much better than nascar...you have to pass with finesse at much much greater speeds at any point on the road course which takes infinite more courage than paint swapping or disaster for both cars happens vs taking out a leader. (oh wait never mind, nascar doesn't understand left & right turns)

You simply cannot compare the driving ability needed in F1 vs nc. About the only racing that is more exciting happens on 2 wheels w/ Moto GP & Isle de man tt. It's a shame, but the cream of the crop racing is across the pond & it makes nascar boring.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #39
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
INEOS. The company owner has invested in F1, a sailboat for the America’s cup, sponsored the runner to break the under 2 hour marathon, and bought the rights to the Range Rover that they just thought they were discontinuing.
Oh yea!!!! I saw that super prominent placed on the silver arrows. Yep, he went all in to get that locale.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #40
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
You miss the point & didn't watch did you?? I get your razzing but That is what makes open wheel F1 so much better than nascar...you have to pass with finesse at much much greater speeds at any point on the road course which takes infinite more courage than paint swapping or disaster for both cars happens vs taking out a leader. (oh wait never mind, nascar doesn't understand left & right turns)

You simply cannot compare the driving ability needed in F1 vs nc. About the only racing that is more exciting happens on 2 wheels w/ Moto GP & Isle de man tt. It's a shame, but the cream of the crop racing is across the pond & it makes nascar boring.
That Isle race is crazy!!! I may need to add that to the experience based bucket list of trips.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #41
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Seems like Vettel did what he’s been doing again. I wonder about his decisions this past year and then again this race. He’s not long for this sport. It’s like he is scared.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #42
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Quote:
are you talking about Hamilton not going out in front to make up lost time? if so if they blow their motor they only have 1 spare I believe, cant afford a catastrophic failure on race 1 of the season ya know? if you were talking about them all kneeling before the race Ham has already come out and said that was not something he encouraged anyone to do. I could care less what they do before the race. everyone has a right to speak their mind even if their message is completely preposterous.

just curious what you meant on the politics over winning comment. there is politics in everything its impossible to avoid these days.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #43
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
are you talking about Hamilton not going out in front to make up lost time? if so if they blow their motor they only have 1 spare I believe, cant afford a catastrophic failure on race 1 of the season ya know? if you were talking about them all kneeling before the race Ham has already come out and said that was not something he encouraged anyone to do. I could care less what they do before the race. everyone has a right to speak their mind even if their message is completely preposterous.

just curious what you meant on the politics over winning comment. there is politics in everything its impossible to avoid these days.
Well, it wasn't about a planted fake noose in a garage...nascar owns racing politics these days. I have a feeling they are going to lose more fans if they just don't get back to racing, which what folks want to see.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #44
F1addict
Four Point

Quote:

A lot of people don’t understand the engine restrictions (the number allowed per year) that are in place in F1. You better not blow an engine!!
Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #45
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Seems like Vettel did what he’s been doing again. I wonder about his decisions this past year and then again this race. He’s not long for this sport. It’s like he is scared.
He is moody. How he treated LeClerc those first 5 races was embarrassing to the sport and him.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #46
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Eh I would put Indycar on an oval second, IOM TT is definitely tops, those guys are nuts, sprint car guys on dirt have a place in their too... Nascar these days, meh too tame.

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-07-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #47
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Why do they weigh the drivers after the race? Noticed Hamilton and Verstappen stood on a scale before taking their gear off at podium. Didn’t notice if Bottas did or not.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #48
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

To make sure their dresses will still fit.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #49
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Lol

Old 07-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #50
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Why do they weigh the drivers after the race? Noticed Hamilton and Verstappen stood on a scale before taking their gear off at podium. Didn’t notice if Bottas did or not.

I believe they weigh themselves before and after races to see how much weight they lost due to sweating and know how much to replenish them with.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top