Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #101
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

We decide tonight if we are going to start the Blanco series back up this weekend or not. Sadly I will be voting no, but not due to not wanting to make it happen. With the chance of rain this week and all weekend I don't see the event happening either way. I think it is better to set a later date and not have to call it off at the last minute.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #102
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
We decide tonight if we are going to start the Blanco series back up this weekend or not. Sadly I will be voting no, but not due to not wanting to make it happen. With the chance of rain this week and all weekend I don't see the event happening either way. I think it is better to set a later date and not have to call it off at the last minute.
I would have to Vote yes.. If it rains cancel it then.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #103
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche County

Well looks like we are going to head to the open barrel race tonight in Stephenville at Lonestar Arena
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #104
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

I have to get back in rodeo shape. I am flat wore out. Barrel race on Tuesday in Stephenville. Barrel race last night in Comanche. Tonight headed to Evant for a junior rodeo.

Next week a 3 night junior rodeo starting on Thursday. And we will probably go back to Stephenville for the open barrel race on Tuesday again
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #105
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
I have to get back in rodeo shape. I am flat wore out. Barrel race on Tuesday in Stephenville. Barrel race last night in Comanche. Tonight headed to Evant for a junior rodeo.

Next week a 3 night junior rodeo starting on Thursday. And we will probably go back to Stephenville for the open barrel race on Tuesday again
LOL tonight in Evant get ready to run tomorrow morning in the early hours!!! I like the heck out of Tommy but starting Jr Rodeos at 8:00pm is insane . This one is going to be am all-nighter. I am glad we don't go to those anymore.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #106
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
LOL tonight in Evant get ready to run tomorrow morning in the early hours!!! I like the heck out of Tommy but starting Jr Rodeos at 8:00pm is insane . This one is going to be am all-nighter. I am glad we don't go to those anymore.
Shouldnít be too long. No roping tonight. Only speed events and rough stock.

But I do agree. 8pm is late to start
Old 05-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #107
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

It sure is nice to be rodeoing again. Kids had a blast and ran really well. Both won money. Abbey won the poles. She would have won barrels as well but knocked a barrel over.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #108
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Been a long weekend of rodeo. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. I am not in rodeo shape yet.

Abbey had an excellent weekend in the arena. Won money every night in the poles and barrels. First attempt at goat tying and all of her goats stayed tied. She won the all around buckle in the poles. She killed it on the poles running a 21.3 but knocked a pole over for a 26.3. Next night she ran a 22.2. The last night she ran a 21.1.

Hunter also had a good weekend. He won money in goats, poles and barrels. He caught his 2 of his breakaway calves and 1 tie down calf and 2 ribbon calves.

Glad to be back on the rodeo trail. Have a couple of weeks to recover before we do it all again. Fun times
Old 05-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #109
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well bought another horse today. Picked up Hunter a rope horse. Fun times ahead
Old 05-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #110
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

We kick back up on Sunday in Blanco. Sarah has been swinging her rope everyday and should be ready to start competing in a couple of months in breakaway. Can't wait to watch her chase calves.

Congrats to your kids on a good weekend Aggie2000tx.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #111
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

No rodeo for us this weekend. Decide to come to the barrel race in Llano today. Abbey is running in the open barrel race starting at 2pm. Then they are having poles after so she will run poles after. Going to be a long day. 130 barrel racers in the open today. Good thing is she is #7 out in the poles
Old 06-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #112
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

We had our 2nd of the series in Blanco on Sunday. Sarah did pretty good except on poles. She probably had her best run ever going and didn't get him turned on the end pole and broke the timer and DQ'd. She was really disappointed.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #113
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This past weekend Riley wet to the AJ rodeo in Sweetwater. There wasn't to many bright spots but she did catch fastest calf of the weekend which was a highlight. Of to Andrews this weekend. Hopefully things are better.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #114
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Llano barrel race and poles was good this past weekend for Abbey. She was in the money until the very last run in the open. She fell in the cracks in the 4d format. She ran fast but not fast enough for one of the d’s and too fast for another one of the d’s. She set the pace on the poles with a 21.314. She ended up 4th overall in the poles. The 3 above her were high school pole benders. Super proud of the way she ran both horses against some stiff competition. She will come back stronger and she knows that she is right there against some of the best.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #115
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Llano barrel race and poles was good this past weekend for Abbey. She was in the money until the very last run in the open. She fell in the cracks in the 4d format. She ran fast but not fast enough for one of the dís and too fast for another one of the dís. She set the pace on the poles with a 21.314. She ended up 4th overall in the poles. The 3 above her were high school pole benders. Super proud of the way she ran both horses against some stiff competition. She will come back stronger and she knows that she is right there against some of the best.

You get in the 21's in the pole you are going to be solid 90%of the time. Good job Abbey
Old 06-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #116
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well had our Thursday night open barrel race tonight. Had a good turnout. Abbey ran both horses very well. Headed to Mullin tomorrow for rodeo Friday and Saturday night. Fun times
Old 06-17-2020, 10:23 PM   #117
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Been busy. Going to rodeos and barrel races. Abbey is doing pretty good.

Hunter broke his thumb so no roping for about 4 weeks. We are off this weekend
Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #118
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Been busy. Going to rodeos and barrel races. Abbey is doing pretty good.

Hunter broke his thumb so no roping for about 4 weeks. We are off this weekend
That stinks about Hunter's thumb.

We Aj's in Goldthwaite and Llano this morning than run are 2 go's at State Finals next Wed. Looking fo 4 good runs. We roped the other night and Riley went 8 for 8 and all under 3.5 seconds. We quit on that.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #119
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
That stinks about Hunter's thumb.

We Aj's in Goldthwaite and Llano this morning than run are 2 go's at State Finals next Wed. Looking fo 4 good runs. We roped the other night and Riley went 8 for 8 and all under 3.5 seconds. We quit on that.
My father in law is announcing the Goldthwaite AJ tonight and Friday. I think Hunter is going with him tonight to help setup sound. Kelli and I are running the Open Barrel race tonight in Comanche
Old 06-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #120
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Sometimes when you run a big horse on bad lose ground they hit the hard pan and slip. Luckily Gator is big enough and strong enough to pull him and Riley out it instead of going all the way down

Name:  154BB6E4-5B3C-4BA1-A842-7BAEE8820C31.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 06-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #121
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

quicktime video

Quote:
Sometimes when you run a big horse on bad lose ground they hit the hard pan and slip. Luckily Gator is big enough and strong enough to pull him and Riley out it instead of going all the way down

Attachment 1007964
Lols like Llano. Glad nothing major happened.

We ended up going to a play day in Stephenville yesterday and both kids rode very well. Took Hunter today to the jackpot roping at Ryle Smithís. He caught 1 calf but missed the other two. Still isnít supposed to be roping because of thumb but wanted to go anyway.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #122
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley had a solid run for her first run at State currently in the top 15 with another run to go. The grounds was sticky this morning and not as fast as the previous days. Big thanks to Kate ( wife of 4 time World Champion Bobby Mote) for ponying Riley in. Kate and Bobby are so good to Riley and bring a bunch of positive vibes. It takes a team

Name:  F88B8B4D-77CC-4539-B242-AD18A7147AC7.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  80.6 KB
Old 06-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #123
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Riley had a solid run for her first run at State currently in the top 15 with another run to go. The grounds was sticky this morning and not as fast as the previous days. Big thanks to Kate ( wife of 4 time World Champion Bobby Mote) for ponying Riley in. Kate and Bobby are so good to Riley and bring a bunch of positive vibes. It takes a team

Attachment 1008385
Nice. Good luck the rest of the way.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #124
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Getting ready for our 2nd run.... need another like the first and a little faster would be Nice

Name:  007CE6AE-9A08-4B51-8C32-BCAFF23E6F46.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  71.2 KB
Old 06-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #125
BrandonA
Pope & Young

2nd round didn’t go like we wanted. Hit the third to keep miss the championship round. Tough pill to swallow but she will come back stronger wanting it more. Seeing her sad makes me sad but seeing her turn that sad into mad makes me proud. She will work harder to make sure that doesn’t happen again
Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #126
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
2nd round didnít go like we wanted. Hit the third to keep miss the championship round. Tough pill to swallow but she will come back stronger wanting it more. Seeing her sad makes me sad but seeing her turn that sad into mad makes me proud. She will work harder to make sure that doesnít happen again
She will come back stronger for sure.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #127
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well got a Junior Rodeo in Comanche,TX tonight and tomorrow night. Should be a big one. The ground is awesome. This will probably be the best ground any of these kids have ran in all year at these. Comanche Roping club has put a lot of time, effort and money into their arena over the last few years. New Priefert bucking cutes as well as cattle pens. New Priefert calf roping chute. Countless hours working on the arena ground. Bring in loads of clay then loads of sand and mixing it all together. I have sweated a many hour out there working.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #128
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

The turnout was HUGE last night for the junior rodeo in Comanche. A lot of ropers. Hunter bel his own and won the tie down in his age group on the new horse. He has got money in barrels and flags. Abbey has a great night as well. She ran a 22.36 in the poles. She ended up 2nd in the poles because another kid ran a 22.33. She set the pace on the barrels with a 17.67. She led until the last runner and got beat by a Hipps girl with a 17.4. She she ended up second in the barrels. Really good run on a big standard pattern in deep ground. Two of the fastest runs all night in the barrels
Old 07-05-2020, 03:41 AM   #129
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well the kids had an awesome weekend of rodeo. Hunter won the All Around buckle for his age group. He got 3rd in breakaway with a 3.04. He got 2nd in ribbon roping with a 10.03. He won the tie down again even with a bleeding nose. His nose started bleeding right before he went in box. I stuffed some tp in it and he went and roped. He also did well in the speed events as well.

Abbey did great again. She won the barrels with a 17.3. And won the poles with a 22.1. She also had her fastest goat time ever and he fastest flag time as well. She was in contention for the all around but the other girl roped 2 events.

Couldn’t be any prouder of Abbey and Hunter. They both took care of business all weekend and made the runs they needed to
Old 07-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #130
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Forgot the add the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #131
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Way to go!!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #132
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley and Gator had decent weekend. Didn’t win first but placed at both rodeos. What they did do today is figure out that 1st barrel pocket. Even though you may not win first you take the good and build upon it. To many times , as parents we harp on what they did wrong instead of praising what they did right.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrandonA; 07-12-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #133
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Well we are heading back to Vegas for the Jr NFR / world finals. Riley has overcomed a lot to get back.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:22 AM   #134
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well we are heading back to Vegas for the Jr NFR / world finals. Riley has overcomed a lot to get back.
Congrats.

We just got home from a rodeo. Abbey got 2nd in barrels and 1st in poles. Hunter roped really well tonight. Long night. Will be back at it today this evening.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #135
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well Abbey won the barrels for her age group tonight. She ran the 2nd fastest time of the night for all age groups. She ran on Socks this weekend for barrels and poles. Poles will be later. Hunter ran a good barrel pattern. He still has poles and all the roping events.

This rodeo life will make you tired quick. Let’s hope it isn’t 4am in the morning when we get home agai

Last edited by aggie2000tx; 07-18-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #136
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well think we left the rodeo about 3:30 am this morning. Believe it was almost 5am before we got in bed this morning. Hunter roped extremely well and won ribbons and got 2nd in breakaway. His tiedown calf didn’t run so he missed that one. Abbey knocked over a pole in the poles. Hunter was clean in the poles and got 2nd. Abbey won the barrels.

Great weekend of rodeo for the kids.

Have a open barrel race this next weekend. Then the CTYRA finals the following weekend. Life is good on the rodeo trail
Old 07-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #137
BrandonA
Pope & Young

I am really impressed and proud of Abbey and how she is overcoming her fears!! Heart of a champion. Hunter is doing awesome as well. This week we head to Sweetwater for the AJ finals. Are y’all going to JR high this year?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #138
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am really impressed and proud of Abbey and how she is overcoming her fears!! Heart of a champion. Hunter is doing awesome as well. This week we head to Sweetwater for the AJ finals. Are yíall going to JR high this year?
We have not discussed the JR high yet. We will need to figure out what they are going to do concerning that soon.

Abbey has a lot of confidence in the horses she is riding right now. She goes in believing she can beat anyone. She is riding aggressive in the poles and barrels now. She has come a long way since breaking her arm. I am excited to see what she does at the CTYRA finals in two weeks in Hamilton. I told her to just go win the finals and treat it like it was a stand alone event.

Hunter is roping at a high level now and wanting to go to larger ropings. We shall see.

I hope they both just lay it all out for the finals. Our motto over the past few weeks is Go Be Great. No matter what happens they will know that they did their best.

One reason we are going to the open barrel race this weekend is that it is in Hamilton. She will get 4 runs on Cowboy in the barrels leading into the CT finals the next weekend.

Both kids have their eyes on the finals. Hope they do good. I am excited to see what happens
Old 07-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #139
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well no rodeo for us this weekend. We are at a CTBRA event in Hamilton. Abbey is running barrels tonight and tomorrow on Cowboy. Hope they do well. We came over here for the barrel race because the kids are running next weekend at the CTYRA finals here in Hamilton. Get a couple more runs in the arena before the finals.

Good luck to all that are at the AJRA finals this weekend
Old 07-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #140
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well no rodeo for us this weekend. We are at a CTBRA event in Hamilton. Abbey is running barrels tonight and tomorrow on Cowboy. Hope they do well. We came over here for the barrel race because the kids are running next weekend at the CTYRA finals here in Hamilton. Get a couple more runs in the arena before the finals.

Good luck to all that are at the AJRA finals this weekend
Your kids are doing great. Ride it like ya stole it this weekend Abbey.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #141
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

We haven't been doing much other than learning breakaway roping. Sarah loves it and hopefully next month will be ready to start hitting a few local jackpots to try and put it all together. She caught her first calf Friday and then another on Wednesday. She said she wants to start hitting more rodeo's next year. Guess I am going to have to start putting in a lot of OT to keep her rolling every weekend next year. LOL
Old 07-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #142
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Riley and Gator had decent weekend. Didnít win first but placed at both rodeos. What they did do today is figure out that 1st barrel pocket. Even though you may not win first you take the good and build upon it. To many times , as parents we harp on what they did wrong instead of praising what they did right.
Congrats to Riley for making it back to Vegas. She has been doing great. Love watching the videos you post on facebook. Give her a high 5 for me.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #143
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Abbey had a solid run tonight. Will have to wait and see if she finishes in the money. Over 200 runs tonight. Over 400 racers in tomorrow’s race. A lot here

Last edited by aggie2000tx; 07-24-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #144
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well Abbey had a solid weekend at the CTBRA Summer Splash barrel race in Hamilton. She ran Cowboy as consistent as I have ever seen the two run. Friday night they ran a 17.05 and on Saturday night they ran a 17.02. She was .2 out of the money on Friday and Saturday on Cowboy in the Open barrel race. Sometimes the D format helps you and sometimes it doesn’t. She decided she wanted to run Socks today and so she ran a great time on her today. She ended winning money today but was .2 slower today than the previous 2 days. If she would have ran a 17.0 today she would have won in the open race. They ran good and she was happy with how they ran. Hope they run good at the CTYRA finals this next weekend in Hamilton. They will run on Thursday night in the first go and then Saturday morning for the 2nd go.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #145
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Well we had just a horrible AJ finals. Its the 2nd time in in 10 yrs she didn't make the short round. All water under the bridge. Now its time to get ready for the WCRA Open to the World Jr Rodeo in Guthrie. $500 entry and lots of added money.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #146
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well we had just a horrible AJ finals. Its the 2nd time in in 10 yrs she didn't make the short round. All water under the bridge. Now its time to get ready for the WCRA Open to the World Jr Rodeo in Guthrie. $500 entry and lots of added money.
Riley will bounce back and come back stronger
Old 07-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #147
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well we just pulled into Circle T in Hamilton for the CTYRA finals this evening. The fun starts at 7pm. Hope the kids have strong runs tonight. We come back on Saturday for the 2nd go. Told the kids to just GO BE GREAT and left it at that.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #148
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well we just pulled into Circle T in Hamilton for the CTYRA finals this evening. The fun starts at 7pm. Hope the kids have strong runs tonight. We come back on Saturday for the 2nd go. Told the kids to just GO BE GREAT and left it at that.
Good luck guys!! And yes GO BE GREAT!!! And have fun
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #149
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well she ran a great time but knocked a pole over. It is impossible to win when you knock a pole over. 22. Something with 5 added for a 27 something. Hunter ran a 24 and kept them all standing. He is sitting 2nd
Old 07-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #150
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well she ran a great time but knocked a pole over. It is impossible to win when you knock a pole over. 22. Something with 5 added for a 27 something. Hunter ran a 24 and kept them all standing. He is sitting 2nd
I can only remember when a knocked over pole landed in the money and that was during a monsoon. Brush it off and go to the next one.