Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #51
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche County

Well Abbey and Buddy has an awesome weekend at the CTYRA in Hamilton. They ran their fastest time ever today in the poles and ran a 22 second run. She ended up getting a check today in the poles. They ran a solid 19 second barrel pattern as well. She made a couple of mistakes but these were the fastest runs since breaking her arm on Buddy back in March. I think they are both ready to go now. Was a long road but seems we are getting back to where we were before the arm.

Hunter had a good weekend as well and finished one spot out of the money in poles on Friday night. The big thing got him he got good point totals each night to move up in his age group.

Onto the finals which will be the end of March in Belton.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #52
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
Well Abbey and Buddy has an awesome weekend at the CTYRA in Hamilton. They ran their fastest time ever today in the poles and ran a 22 second run. She ended up getting a check today in the poles. They ran a solid 19 second barrel pattern as well. She made a couple of mistakes but these were the fastest runs since breaking her arm on Buddy back in March. I think they are both ready to go now. Was a long road but seems we are getting back to where we were before the arm.

Hunter had a good weekend as well and finished one spot out of the money in poles on Friday night. The big thing got him he got good point totals each night to move up in his age group.

Onto the finals which will be the end of March in Belton.
Thatís awesome!! So glad she is getting her confidence back
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #53
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Millie had a point show Saturday. That after 5 days at the SA show. Dang kids are running their dad ragged.

She improved in all events. 3rd in barrels, 4th stakes and 5th poles. We're staying local with competitions right now and having a ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tex_Cattleman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #54
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Humble beginnings... Riley roped today and she doesnít have the best Priefert chute or other name brands. She uses a home made one given to her by 4x World Champion , Scott Snedecor. She said if it was good enough for Scott itís good enough for her. You donít have to have the best to be the best but you do have to the heart and try to be the best. Doesnít matter if itís roping a saw horse dummy or riding a spur board or bucking barrel .. itís the heart you put into it that will make you a champion.

Name:  4F06000D-1FC8-4100-AD9C-050DA2647BA6.jpeg
Views: 468
Size:  35.6 KB
Old 03-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #55
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
Millie had a point show Saturday. That after 5 days at the SA show. Dang kids are running their dad ragged.

She improved in all events. 3rd in barrels, 4th stakes and 5th poles. We're staying local with competitions right now and having a ball.

Trey,

This one in Blanco would be a good one for Millie to run in to help build her confidence.

Blanco Rodeo Association Spring Playday
Yett Park in Blanco
Books open at 10am
Events start at 11am
You can register online at rodeogo.com
March 15th
April 19th
May 17th

Way to go Millie. It is all about improving on every run.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #56
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well we are we are two weeks out from the CTYRA finals in Belton.

Hunter is going to a roping clinic this weekend with Stran Smith which should be a great time for him. He roped really well last night.

Abbey and Buddy are putting some riding time in together. They are clicking again it seems. I really like the time change because they will be able to ride everyday after school for several hours since it stays light longer.

I have been riding Cowboy a lot just to keep him legged up in case one of the kids need to jump on him and make a barrel run. About to get busy coming into the Spring and Summer. We will be going somewhere just about every weekend really soon.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #57
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This whole Cororna deal is a blow to rodeo. So many dreams NFR dreams and then this. I know I’ve got several buddies chasing that NFR dream and they just got screwed ..Leighton Berry, Paden Hurst , Anthony Thomas ..money won at Houston won’t count ... and now Austin Rodeo.. these guys are trying to make their first NFR and all won money that would keep them in the top 20 in the world. They rode great and it’s being taken away. Talked to Anthony this evening and he is pretty upset. Hate it for my friends .
Old 03-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #58
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
This whole Cororna deal is a blow to rodeo. So many dreams NFR dreams and then this. I know Iíve got several buddies chasing that NFR dream and they just got screwed ..Leighton Berry, Paden Hurst , Anthony Thomas ..money won at Houston wonít count ... and now Austin Rodeo.. these guys are trying to make their first NFR and all won money that would keep them in the top 20 in the world. They rode great and itís being taken away. Talked to Anthony this evening and he is pretty upset. Hate it for my friends .
That was a load of crap and over reacting by dems.

On a good note, Sarah did well at the Blanco Playday. Her 1st runs of the season. She just moved up a class and finished 3rd in poles, 6th in straights, and 4th in straights.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #59
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

My son spent this last weekend at a roping clinic put on by Stan Smith. With help from Stetson Vest and Cliff Cooper. To say my son had a blast is an understatement. He roped really well all weekend. He only missed one calf since Friday morning.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #60
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well the CTYRA finals have been postponed. At a wait and see what happens now.

The Lometa Open rodeo was also cancelled. My father in law announces that rodeo. Good be a long summer with no where to go rodeo
Old 03-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #61
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
That was a load of crap and over reacting by dems.

On a good note, Sarah did well at the Blanco Playday. Her 1st runs of the season. She just moved up a class and finished 3rd in poles, 6th in straights, and 4th in straights.
You gotta be kidding me. It never even crossed my mind that it would still be on, after everything else on earth had been canceled. We've had it on the calendar for a long time. Man, that's frustrating.

Congrats to Sarah!
Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #62
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

hoping this thing is over soon. Pretty sure Tejas is gonna cancel this weekend. Haven't seen anything official but they closed the Saturday rodeo this past weekend.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #63
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
hoping this thing is over soon. Pretty sure Tejas is gonna cancel this weekend. Haven't seen anything official but they closed the Saturday rodeo this past weekend.
I would bet they cancel. Heck there is a real good chance the Jr State Finals get canceled.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #64
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would bet they cancel. Heck there is a real good chance the Jr State Finals get canceled.
I am betting they do as well. On a good note, Sarah had her first roping lesson last week and has been practicing most every day. Has her 2nd lesson tonight. I hope she sticks with it, because I have a good calf horse already.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #65
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Lot of great Bareback Riders in this pic. This was a group pic of all of us at our Friends Chris Harrisís funeral

Name:  8675CC75-FF6F-4F7F-A393-384E9132DB10.jpeg
Views: 351
Size:  85.3 KB
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #66
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I hate it for the kids. If it is anything like baseball I have heard early June is best case. July is even on the rocks. Let these kids compete. Even if they make parents sit in plot
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #67
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I hate it for the kids. If it is anything like baseball I have heard early June is best case. July is even on the rocks. Let these kids compete. Even if they make parents sit in plot
I agree. Its just hard for me to fathom Texas not sending Teams to nationals this Summer. I'm sure other states wouldn't be to disappointed though. I'm sure they would like to win a Team Title sometime.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #68
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Sarah is picking up swinging a rope really well. Another month of lessons on the ground and she will be ready to start learning on a horse.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #69
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree. Its just hard for me to fathom Texas not sending Teams to nationals this Summer. I'm sure other states wouldn't be to disappointed though. I'm sure they would like to win a Team Title sometime.
No doubt
Old 04-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

I really don’t know what we are going to do all summer if this craziness is still going on. We are used to going to a rodeo just about every weekend of the summer. We are still riding and roping just about every day
Old 04-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #71
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
I really donít know what we are going to do all summer if this craziness is still going on. We are used to going to a rodeo just about every weekend of the summer. We are still riding and roping just about every day
Heck me neither. I feel bad for Riley. I feel bad for Riley. Last yr she lost the Region due to a broke arm but still finished in the top 10 in state. This yr she started the yr without Gator because of his injury. Get him back and they just kicked *** in Gonzales where the state finals are. They are firing on all cylinders and now this. **** kid canít catch a break but we will be legged up and ready to if they do have it. We do need to take him somewhere so they can open up and run
Old 04-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #72
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Letís have a little fun. Post pics of you Jr/Highschool rodeo days

Name:  BB2E225A-5056-40DB-8A9D-CD97AC7154B5.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  72.4 KB
Old 04-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #73
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Name:  72EA25EA-7449-456B-8D23-F8B8A9FC8E66.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  377546BD-5046-4CD0-8EF7-53B3EADF8F4D.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  44.7 KB
Old 04-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #74
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well not looking very good for the junior rodeos so far. Mullin, Blanket and Comanche have cancelled their junior rodeos. Hope this coronavirus stuff ends soon
Old 04-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #75
BrandonA
Pope & Young

With no rodeos going on and sitting at home I wanna keep this thread going going. During this down time all the young bull riders, bareback riders , barrel racers, ropers can work on fundamentals. A buck barrel and spur board is your best friend as well as a roping dummy. One thing that I get told a lot is how well Riley rides. Well itís not only time in the saddle itís also working on strength and balance. Yes she gets on the buck barrel with no rope. It works your lower body and core and improves balance and control. Rope your dummy from all angles. For the Bronc riders that spur board is your best friend . Get on it everyday. It sucks being not being able to compete and rodeo but now is the time to master the fundamentals.

Name:  3471CCAC-F69A-4F4F-A962-F2780982D13B.jpeg
Views: 255
Size:  143.6 KB
Old 05-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #76
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Sarah has started roping lessons and coming along nicely. She starts off horseback next week. I am excited that she is really enjoying roping.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #77
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Comanche roping club is starting our weekly barrel races next week it looks like. CTYRA is discussing the finals and trying to reschedule now. Looks like things could start to open up
Old 05-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #78
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Blanco Rodeo Association is trying to figure out when we are going to open back up as well.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #79
BrandonA
Pope & Young

We are rodeoing tomorrow in Hamilton !!!!
Old 05-01-2020, 10:40 PM   #80
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
We are rodeoing tomorrow in Hamilton !!!!
Nice
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #81
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Quote:
Blanco Rodeo Association is trying to figure out when we are going to open back up as well.
When you do, will you please call me? All the shut downs started the week before that first play date. Never crossed my mind it would still be on. Hate hate hate that Millie's out of the points because of that. Shame on me for not checking.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #82
BrandonA
Pope & Young

The come back was nice!!! Riley had a good weekend at the AJRA in Hamilton. Won the barrels both rodeos in her age group and this morning clocked the fastest time of the weekend in all age groups!!! Glad to be back rodeoing !!
Old 05-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #83
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
The come back was nice!!! Riley had a good weekend at the AJRA in Hamilton. Won the barrels both rodeos in her age group and this morning clocked the fastest time of the weekend in all age groups!!! Glad to be back rodeoing !!
Awesome Brandon. Happy for Riley
Old 05-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #84
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
When you do, will you please call me? All the shut downs started the week before that first play date. Never crossed my mind it would still be on. Hate hate hate that Millie's out of the points because of that. Shame on me for not checking.

Will do Trey. Good thing is Tejas never started and our church rodeo has been post poned as well. bring her on out to the Blanco Playday anyways. It would be good practice and fun for her.

Quote:
Heck yeah Riley. I heard Shada's barrel horse is in trouble. LOL
Old 05-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #85
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Will do Trey. Good thing is Tejas never started and our church rodeo has been post poned as well. bring her on out to the Blanco Playday anyways. It would be good practice and fun for her.

Heck yeah Riley. I heard Shada's barrel horse is in trouble. LOL
Yah it shut down both days at the 1st
Old 05-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #86
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yah it shut down both days at the 1st
Wow. That isn't good. Is she still running Riley's horse?
Old 05-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #87
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wow. That isn't good. Is she still running Riley's horse?
not right now. Trying to get eggs out of Lucy and get colt. She wants to run Lucy bad and I don't blame her.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #88
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
not right now. Trying to get eggs out of Lucy and get colt. She wants to run Lucy bad and I don't blame her.
Lucy is a heck of a horse and hopefully you can get a good colt out of her. I don't blame her for wanting to run Lucy. I am sure her mama can get that horse fixed.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #89
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lucy is a heck of a horse and hopefully you can get a good colt out of her. I don't blame her for wanting to run Lucy. I am sure her mama can get that horse fixed.
Yes she is. Has the biggest heart of any horse I been around. She loves to compete
Old 05-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #90
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Little bit of a tip for the kids and parents. Teach and preach to your kids to look and find your target, pocket and line. So many look and focus at the barrel they are approaching and turning . Trust your line and look up at your next line . If you look down at the barrel instinct is to go to it and more likely to hit it. Look up at where you got to be.

Name:  269E472F-4940-4887-BA54-E35B53437AC3.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  46.7 KB
Old 05-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #91
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Little bit of a tip for the kids and parents. Teach and preach to your kids to look and find your target, pocket and line. So many look and focus at the barrel they are approaching and turning . Trust your line and look up at your next line . If you look down at the barrel instinct is to go to it and more likely to hit it. Look up at where you got to be.

Attachment 1002523
I preach this to Sarah constantly and one of the reasons she is able to compete on a smaller horse. She can run a cleaner tighter pattern when she does this and clock a faster time. That is some of the best advice you teach a youngster barrel racing.

The Blanco Rodeo Association meets next Tuesday to decide if we rodeo on the 17th or not. I will be voting yes and I have a feeling most will vote yes as well.

So plan on being at Yett Park on the 17th Trey.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #92
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
I preach this to Sarah constantly and one of the reasons she is able to compete on a smaller horse. She can run a cleaner tighter pattern when she does this and clock a faster time. That is some of the best advice you teach a youngster barrel racing.

The Blanco Rodeo Association meets next Tuesday to decide if we rodeo on the 17th or not. I will be voting yes and I have a feeling most will vote yes as well.

So plan on being at Yett Park on the 17th Trey.
It is one of those details that go unnoticed . Always look for that line and pocket!!
Old 05-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #93
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

She started working off horseback yesterday and chasing a moving target. It isn't pretty yet, but she is moving in the right direction. she caught about 90% of her tries. Still needs lots of work, but I think she will be ready to at least rope the dummy at the upcoming church youth rodeo in a couple of months.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #94
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
She started working off horseback yesterday and chasing a moving target. It isn't pretty yet, but she is moving in the right direction. she caught about 90% of her tries. Still needs lots of work, but I think she will be ready to at least rope the dummy at the upcoming church youth rodeo in a couple of months.

One of the best things we started doing was taking Riley over to Jackie Crawford's for lessons. She is so good with kids. Also wish we would have started Riley earlier roping. She got started about 3 yrs-4 yrs late.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #95
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
One of the best things we started doing was taking Riley over to Jackie Crawford's for lessons. She is so good with kids. Also wish we would have started Riley earlier roping. She got started about 3 yrs-4 yrs late.
Sarah is really loving roping......I can't wait to see her put it all together.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #96
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Really starting to Like Rileyís Colt she has raised. He has a good deposition, has a good head and is smart and picks up on things. He has been started on barrels , poles and breakaway and tracks cattle good. He shows the speed and agility needed for barrels and the cowsense for roping. Thinks she has found her future all-around horse which is a good thing

Name:  A4660FCE-C794-4D02-85F5-E12F246898EF.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  141.3 KB
Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #97
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well Abbey had a pretty good night at the Comanche Open Jackpot. She won money on both horses she ran. Super proud of the way she ran Cowboy tonight. She ran a new horse tonight called Socks that she has only ridden about 5 times and did well on the little mare.

There were 60 runs in the Open barrel race. There were over 140 runs counting the exhibitions. Decent turnout

We have decided that Buddy will be for sale soon. Looks like we will be looking for another horse soon
Old 05-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #98
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Here is a better look at what I mentioned earlier about looking up and finding your line after youíve made the turn. Itís so important to look up and push. Keeping your head down slows you down and often will pull you over the top of the barrels.

Name:  6FA60CD8-E58E-475A-B9E3-BE20DE633281.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  76.7 KB
Old 05-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #99
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Quote:
Really starting to Like Rileyís Colt she has raised. He has a good deposition, has a good head and is smart and picks up on things. He has been started on barrels , poles and breakaway and tracks cattle good. He shows the speed and agility needed for barrels and the cowsense for roping. Thinks she has found her future all-around horse which is a good thing

Attachment 1002904

Thatís a nice looking boy for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #100
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlreiner View Post
Thatís a nice looking boy for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro