Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default 2020 TBH youth rodeo season... Letís make it Happen

2019 is in the rear view mirror. Riley was really tested early on overcoming a barrel wreck and broken arm and messed up shoulder. Adversity makes you rise up or coward down. She rose up and finished strong. Her 2020 season begins tomorrow at the Texas Circuit Finals Jr Rodeo and Jr American Qualifier . Looking forward to another year pursuing those gold buckle dreams. Best of luck to all TBH kids out there chasing there own gold buckle dreams. Doesnít matter if itís at a local playday or big events believe in yourself and if you do that than half the battle is already won!!! Good Luck and go be great!!
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche County

Got two weeks before we head down to Bryan for another CTYRA. Should be a good time
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Several months ago I made a comment on the Book of Faces how prizes in rodeo are so much better and how kids are spoiled and complain about the buckles and awards they receive. I posted the Texas National Champion team trophy we received for Texas Winning the National High School Team Championship in 1993. I was a member of that Team riding Bare Back horses and was 2nd high point earner for the team( Reserve National Champion). It was a proud moment for me. Well Micheal Gist saw the post and reached out and said let’s see what we can do about it and make it right. Well he did and although it wasnt free it cost me a fraction of what it would cost otherwise. Now Riley has a Heirloom to pass down someday. Got this in the mail today and sure brought back some great memories.

Name:  3CA61534-5E1D-4D03-BDE2-AA9F07565034.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  121.1 KB

Name:  E0BDD437-482D-4A17-BF84-EE379405E4A2.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  54.6 KB

Last edited by BrandonA; 01-07-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Several months ago I made a comment on the Book of Faces how prizes in rodeo are so much better and how kids are spoiled and complain about the buckles and awards they receive. I posted the Texas National Champion team trophy we received for Texas Winning the National High School Team Championship in 1993. I was a member of that Team riding Bare Back horses and was 2nd high point earner for the team. It was a proud moment for me. Well Micheal Gist saw the post and reached out and said letís see what we can do about it and make it right. Well he did and although it was free it cost me a fraction of what it would cost otherwise. Now Riley has a Heirloom to pass down someday. Got this in the mail today and sure brought back some great memories.

Attachment 986997

Attachment 986998
That's awesome Brandon.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

I think Sarah will start back up in March.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
I think Sarah will start back up in March.
Thatís great for Sarah. We are getting started back up and frankly this stock show crap is getting in the way of progress. We have horses that need to get in Rodeo shape but we have to get goats ready and excercised. **** on the goats letís get rodeo ready
Old 01-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Several months ago I made a comment on the Book of Faces how prizes in rodeo are so much better and how kids are spoiled and complain about the buckles and awards they receive. I posted the Texas National Champion team trophy we received for Texas Winning the National High School Team Championship in 1993. I was a member of that Team riding Bare Back horses and was 2nd high point earner for the team( Reserve National Champion). It was a proud moment for me. Well Micheal Gist saw the post and reached out and said letís see what we can do about it and make it right. Well he did and although it wasnt free it cost me a fraction of what it would cost otherwise. Now Riley has a Heirloom to pass down someday. Got this in the mail today and sure brought back some great memories.

Attachment 986997

Attachment 986998

Nice Brandon. Abbey has still been riding. Leave Friday for Bryan for the CTYRA. Hunter has been roping st least twice a week. Hunter is skipping the CT because basketball games start that weekend. Horses and kids are ready
Old 01-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Might have a little fodder for 2020. First year for Millie to compete. We're at the Hays County show now waiting for the boring stuff to conclude and the barrels to come out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
Might have a little fodder for 2020. First year for Millie to compete. We're at the Hays County show now waiting for the boring stuff to conclude and the barrels to come out.

Awesome. Good luck to Millie
Old 01-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Can't complain with results from her first competition. She took 4th of 12 in cloverleaf. Straight away barrels really threw Stormy off. By God when he gets to a barrel, he's ready to turn and burn!

Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #11
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can't complain with results from her first competition. She took 4th of 12 in cloverleaf. Straight away barrels really threw Stormy off. By God when he gets to a barrel, he's ready to turn and burn!

Nice. Congrats goes to Millie. Always exciting seeing them in their first real action. Good things to come I am sure
Old 01-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well Abbey and I are headed down to Bryan tomorrow afternoon for the CTYRA rodeo. She rides Saturday morning and then we will leave and head back and hopefully make her 2nd basketball game Saturday afternoon.

Buddy and her have been having great practice sessions this week leading up. Looking forward to seeing what they do.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #13
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Tell Abbey and buddy to just smile, have fun and go fast. I think she just needs to relax and take some pressure of herself
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #14
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Tell Abbey and buddy to just smile, have fun and go fast. I think she just needs to relax and take some pressure of herself
I agree with this. I told her to go make the best run they can together and not worry about what everyone else is doing. They always ride better together when they are relaxed
Old 01-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:

Heck yeah, way to go Millie.

The Blanco Playdays start up in March. Be good practice for Millie and her horse.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
Well Abbey and I are headed down to Bryan tomorrow afternoon for the CTYRA rodeo. She rides Saturday morning and then we will leave and head back and hopefully make her 2nd basketball game Saturday afternoon.

Buddy and her have been having great practice sessions this week leading up. Looking forward to seeing what they do.
Go get 'em Abbey. Like I tell my daughter "Ride it like ya stole it"
Old 01-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #17
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

While not my kid, I have coached her for 4 years and am close with the family. One of the best is done for her senior year. She was a state qualifier in all sports she played and would have competed for the state championship in powerlifting and track this year. She got hung up during goat tying and dislocated and broke her ankle. Absolutely breaks my heart for her as she is a tremendous athlete and an even better person.

Good Luck to all yalls kids!
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #18
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC50 View Post
While not my kid, I have coached her for 4 years and am close with the family. One of the best is done for her senior year. She was a state qualifier in all sports she played and would have competed for the state championship in powerlifting and track this year. She got hung up during goat tying and dislocated and broke her ankle. Absolutely breaks my heart for her as she is a tremendous athlete and an even better person.

Hate to hear that. Hopefully she completey heals and can get back to competing.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #19
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC50 View Post

Whats her name? I hope this is the last yr that Riley goat ties. All of them end up with messed up knee's and ankle's
Old 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #20
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Quote:
Hate to hear that. Hopefully she completey heals and can get back to competing.
She is going to be in a hard cast for 3 months then rehab. Had to be set with surgery.

Quote:
Whats her name? I hope this is the last yr that Riley goat ties. All of them end up with messed up knee's and ankle's
PM sent
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 11:51 PM   #21
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Going through pics .. if youíre gonna rodeo you better be tough and get through it... bunch of bumps and bruises

Name:  946C9767-EF67-4434-B12C-A307E409CEB8.jpeg
Views: 990
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  C1F66552-639D-4D53-9804-8892E04DF3A9.jpeg
Views: 995
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 01-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #22
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

I like this look of determination on Sarah's face.

2nd and 3rd pics are when she came off her horse during the run. 4th pic is of her horse dirty because he laud over on her while she was warming up in the mud (somewhere she wasn't supposed to be) before the playday even started. She got dumped twice in one one and got right back on kept going.

Your right Brandon, If your gonna rodeo you better be tough.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #23
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Well this afternoon Riley made to clean competive runs at the Open Barrel Race in Llano today. Nothing smoking but solid. Her horses aren’t in Rodeo shape but they will get there. 3x World Champion Brittany Tonzazzie won the race and Riley was mad cause she didn’t beat her. That made me smile
Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #24
hoythunter28
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leaseless!!!!

My girls 11 and 6 want to run barrels. Which is fine with this dad. But now the search starts for babysitters that won’t break the bank. Just glad they are interested in going since that’s all I did all the way through college. Good luck to all the young hands!
hoythunter28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #25
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well things didn’t go as planned for Abbey at the CTYRA in Bryan Saturday morning. She and Buddy were absolutely flying through the pole pattern. The horse went left and Abbey went right and fell off. She got up smiling because she knew she had just messed up a fast run.

She was fine and the horse was fine. Abbey’s pride was hurt is all.

The barrel run really don’t know what happened but Buddy spooked and stopped going around the 1st barrel. Abbey didn’t let him stop though and finished the run. Don’t really know what that was all about but he turned the other two barrels nice and tight. Buddy has turned 100s of barrels of different colors and has never done that.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #26
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well this afternoon Riley made to clean competive runs at the Open Barrel Race in Llano today. Nothing smoking but solid. Her horses arenít in Rodeo shape but they will get there. 3x World Champion Brittany Tonzazzie won the race and Riley was mad cause she didnít beat her. That made me smile
That is the Riley attitude I know.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #27
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythunter28 View Post
My girls 11 and 6 want to run barrels. Which is fine with this dad. But now the search starts for babysitters that wonít break the bank. Just glad they are interested in going since thatís all I did all the way through college. Good luck to all the young hands!
Heck yeah. Nothing better than rodeo for kids.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #28
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well things didnít go as planned for Abbey at the CTYRA in Bryan Saturday morning. She and Buddy were absolutely flying through the pole pattern. The horse went left and Abbey went right and fell off. She got up smiling because she knew she had just messed up a fast run.

She was fine and the horse was fine. Abbeyís pride was hurt is all.

The barrel run really donít know what happened but Buddy spooked and stopped going around the 1st barrel. Abbey didnít let him stop though and finished the run. Donít really know what that was all about but he turned the other two barrels nice and tight. Buddy has turned 100s of barrels of different colors and has never done that.
It happens. Sarah has had her fair share of WTH just happened. Kinda like the pics above of her coming off her horse. Kid hasn't been thrown since she was 4. And got chunked off twice in one day. As long as they get back up unharmed and get back on it is all good. Tell Abbey to keep at it and she will continue to get better and better.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #29
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well things didnít go as planned for Abbey at the CTYRA in Bryan Saturday morning. She and Buddy were absolutely flying through the pole pattern. The horse went left and Abbey went right and fell off. She got up smiling because she knew she had just messed up a fast run.

She was fine and the horse was fine. Abbeyís pride was hurt is all.

The barrel run really donít know what happened but Buddy spooked and stopped going around the 1st barrel. Abbey didnít let him stop though and finished the run. Donít really know what that was all about but he turned the other two barrels nice and tight. Buddy has turned 100s of barrels of different colors and has never done that.
No telling. I know with Lucy if Riley sits to soon Lucy will turn and duck. But really sometime they just do stupid things. Tell Abbey to shake it off
Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #30
steve corn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam county

Good luck to all involved in rodeos. My daughter Julie rode in the Texas Youth Ranch Rodeo association through jr high and high school. She won 3 state championship saddles. We had loads of fun and made life long friends and memories.
steve corn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #31
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This weekend at the TJHRA rodeo weekend Riley had a pretty good weekend. She got points in all her events accept barrels on sat. Sunday she and Gator laid down a really solid run to win second. The year end championship is shaping up to be a cat fight!!! Riley can’t afford anymore mistakes but she needs to step up and she did today. Right now it’s 3-4 great kids fighting for it and all deserving
Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #32
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
This weekend at the TJHRA rodeo weekend Riley had a pretty good weekend. She got points in all her events accept barrels on sat. Sunday she and Gator laid down a really solid run to win second. The year end championship is shaping up to be a cat fight!!! Riley canít afford anymore mistakes but she needs to step up and she did today. Right now itís 3-4 great kids fighting for it and all deserving
That is great Brandon
Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #33
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Blessed to have friends like Bobby and Katie Mote . Katie ponied Riley and Gator in kept her and Gator Calm. Bobby being a 4X World Champion giving her encouragement doesn’t hurt. Good folks for sure
Old 01-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #34
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Itís hard to see somebody else Riding Rileyís great horse Lucy but super proud of Riley letting my niece and her Cousin ride her while she is looking for a new horse. Riley and Lucy have won so much, set arena records , and built as a team. Lucy is like Sea Biscuit small bit has the heart. This little mare loves to run and compete. Lucy is a little older and Riley has out grown her But itís nice to see her making another little girl dreams come true. We can still run her if needed and she is going to give Riley everything but she canít take the day today rigors!!

Name:  D9C40B99-58DF-4834-BF44-09436E1FE9F5.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  108.4 KB
Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #35
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Watching the Ft Worth Stock Show on the Cowboy channel and I got to say I truly believe Riley and Gator can compete and win at this level right now. Pretty exciting and can’t wait for to get that chance and opportunity !!!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #36
BrandonA
Pope & Young

The wonderful thing about rodeo is regardless of age itís all family . Today got to spend time with my mates.. Australian Champion Bareback Rider , Anthony Thomas and 2X NFR qualifier Bareback rider RC Landingham . Great guys and proud to have them as mates!!

Name:  3A7FED9B-D6DB-4F2C-BD77-53A726A962E6.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  74.8 KB
Old 02-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #37
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley had a pretty good weekend at the Region 10 Jr High rodeos. 3rd and 4th on the bottom of the ground both days. Her and Gator are really starting to click. This afternoon she said “ Dad my confidence right now is above my head!!” She is off to San Antonio to run tomorrow in the Open Barrel Race. She will be running against the best in the world. She tipped one over 2yrs ago to win it . Hope they get back there without the tipped barrel
Old 02-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #38
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Rounding third and coming home

Name:  35707CE7-EA58-4C91-8357-FC62FDD276A1.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 02-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #39
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Abbey and Buddy made some really good practice runs today. Got a couple of weeks before the final 2 CTYRA rodeos in Hamilton.

Abbey rode Cowboy today as well and they ran some very good barrel patterns as well. She actually clocked the fastest time of the day on Cowboy. It has her really thinking hard of running Cowboy in the barrels and running Buddy in the poles
Old 02-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #40
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Tell Abbey to not give up on buddy. They have to build that confidence again, to run without fear . Riley and Gator are just now there. She told me today her confidence on him is this high , hand above her head, ... that’s what it takes . Belief in yourself and horse. Tell her to believe
Old 02-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #41
BrandonA
Pope & Young

I’m the Roughstock Director for Region 10 Jr High. A young man got disqualified in the Steer/Jr Bullriding. And parents got upset This same Judge has thrown the Flag on me at both the Highschool, College, and PRCA level and he has flagged Riley out as well. He is a multiple time NFR Judge . I asked him once why he was so hard on me and he said “ because you rode to good to make those mistakes”. That being said this is how I responded to the parents and it’s what I preach to Riley

Name:  B055777B-B690-4C12-8E3D-0EE223B44A91.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  122.0 KB

Last edited by BrandonA; 02-10-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:41 PM   #42
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley and Gator made a pretty good run in the San Antonio Rodeo open barrel race. Won a little money but more important they are starting to click and get consistent . Another run tomorrow. You donít have to Win first at every one but be consistent .

Name:  ED496D4B-255B-4AB0-B539-476A87FF2BAB.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  35.5 KB
Old 02-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #43
BrandonA
Pope & Young

A little over a year a go Riley and Gator had their accident. Both got hurt, Riley a fractured arm, messed up shoulder, a concussion, pulled muscles in neck. Gator a horizontal tear in his suspensesary tendon. She got released 2nd week of May. Gator mid August. It’s taken both of them to regain confidence and trust in each other. Last 4 days 4 runs and they got faster each run. Last 2 day’s she competed in San Antonio’s Open/Youth Barrel Race and she Did well and placed both days and finished 18th today in the open against some of the best barrel racers in Texas and the country. In the open youth today she finished 3rd today and 7th out of the top Youth barrel racers in the State and Country. There were a couple hundred entered in each. Not sure where in the average she will fall but she is in good shape. Both of them are starting to believe again. Riley told my Confidence right now is so high!! I love hearing that and have been waiting and praying to hear those words. Belief in yourself, in this game is more than half the battle!!! Super proud

Last edited by BrandonA; 02-11-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #44
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

That’s great Brandon
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #45
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Text a friend who is a former Rookie of the year and NFR qualifier and asked her if 16th is good in the open average and she said absolutely . “The best of the best in the world were there” ... makes me even more proud
Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #46
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

I would take 16th overall in the average at SA Rodeo everday
Old 02-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #47
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Text a friend who is a former Rookie of the year and NFR qualifier and asked her if 16th is good in the open average and she said absolutely . ďThe best of the best in the world were thereĒ ... makes me even more proud
That is great. Glad she is running well
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #48
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would take 16th overall in the average at SA Rodeo everday
It wasnít the rodeo itself but the Open/youth 2 day rodeo barrel race. I believe Rileyís 2nd run would have qualified her to Run in the PRCAís wildcard round if she was a PRCA member
Old 02-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #49
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Not bad for first weekend of nominations. Should have been nominating Riley a lot sooner. What a great deal Bobby and Kate Mote started for the youth. How many kids get a chance to run at $50 and $100k and just compete against kids 13-18? Not to dang often. Weíre planning on being in Guthrie for the Divisional Semi Finals. Top 24 get to go

Name:  1EC1248D-D8BC-4E8B-A87E-820207980F56.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  31.6 KB
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #50
BrandonA
Pope & Young

I might have dozed off while watching Riley ride and exercise her horses but to say I spooked Gator by snoring canít be proven.

Name:  D9A0CC97-490B-4A3A-AB8E-465F1B04242B.jpeg
Views: 597
Size:  41.3 KB