Morel Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morel Mushrooms

Had a pretty successful day. They sure are good.
    Attached Files

How do you eat them? Do u cook em?

Comment

I want to go morel hunting. I'm just afraid of picking to wrong mushrooms. They have a pretty distinctive look. Are there any others that look like them.What's the best way to cook them? Thanks

Comment

They are pretty distinct from any other mushroom that is out there. There is only one that can really be mistaken and its called a false morel. A true morel has an empty core when you cut it in half long ways and a false morel will be solid inside. There's different variations of morels so easiest way is to just pick em and then check out the inside to see if its hollow.

Comment

Cut them in half long ways so you have two equal halves, soak them in salt water for a few hours to kill and removed the bugs found in the pits of the mushroom, dip them in egg, cover them with a light coat of flour (we also added a little cornmeal and some spices, and then fry those babies up! Sure is some good eating

Comment

man!! i used to pick the heck out of them in Montana. The year after a good fire they were everywhere...used to pick garbage bags full of them. BIG BUCKS!!! I had no idea Texas had them. So south Texas has them? thanks!

Comment

$315.00 a pound on EBAY. wow!!

Comment

Darn I love those!!
                Was on a hunt once in west Texas and at the time a good friend back in San Antone was a chef. He made us a moral mushroom sauce and said filet open a back strap then pour the sauce in and wrap it in foil. Put on fire for 4 hours. Best eats ever!!!!

Comment

Are they found throughout Texas or just certain areas? I'm close to the coast. I assume there should be plenty. Guess I just have to go looking around. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                    man!! i used to pick the heck out of them in Montana. The year after a good fire they were everywhere...used to pick garbage bags full of them. BIG BUCKS!!! I had no idea Texas had them. So south Texas has them? thanks!
                    oh man. forgot to clarify. I'm up in Missouri right now! i dont think Texas has them

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                      Darn I love those!!
                      Was on a hunt once in west Texas and at the time a good friend back in San Antone was a chef. He made us a moral mushroom sauce and said filet open a back strap then pour the sauce in and wrap it in foil. Put on fire for 4 hours. Best eats ever!!!!
                      that sure does sound good

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        oh man. forgot to clarify. I'm up in Missouri right now! i dont think Texas has them

dang!!! I was hoping Texas had them...oh well.

It got so bad in Montana one year. You better be armed when gathering them. At 300.00 a pound when you had a bag full it was like having gold!! sure love the taste of them....

Comment

I'm in Iowa right now and went lookin yesterday. Didn't find any though, what do you look for in order to find a promising area?

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                            dang!!! I was hoping Texas had them...oh well.

It got so bad in Montana one year. You better be armed when gathering them. At 300.00 a pound when you had a bag full it was like having gold!! sure love the taste of them....
                            Wish Texas would so we could've had them too. I always asked my grandma to save me some but she always said that they didn't save too well (not sure if she was just making that up cuz they wanted to eat them) but now that I'm living up here, time to get some honey holes down for the time that I'm up here. And yes they sure are some tasty suckers

Comment

a good burn(forest fires) always seems to bring them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X