He Gone!...My Partner in Crime (Son) Now At College to Play D3 Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He Gone!...My Partner in Crime (Son) Now At College to Play D3 Baseball

We moved him to Finlandia in Hancock, Michigan this past weekend to play D3 baseball.

This bites. He took it bad, still is to some degree but getting better daily. First time away from home "on his own" for any extended period of time. He had asked me how I handled it going to boot, CA, Japan, and NC having to leave everyone each time, so I told him like it is. I always told him his whole life if you ask me something be prepared for the answer and that I would never lie to him or just say something to make him feel good. I told him it will suck...at first and probably for a couple of weeks, but that it would definitely go away. Immerse yourself in your classes and studying, baseball, and then whatever they have to do and just hang out with friends and team mates, you will just have to make the most of what is there. It is JUST LIKE a small "Hallmark Town" from the Christmas shows. There isn't a whole lot of anything to do.

We did go to a dam I found on a river that flowed from the bay to a small lake. Bought some simple fishing gear for him. He managed 4 or 5 Rock Bass, 1 true Northern Smallie about 3-1/4# and lost another small one, lost a small Pike, and caught his first Walleye.

I did not take it too well either, every weekend for the last 11 or 12 years has revolved around his baseball (1st) and HS Fishing team (2nd) and of course our hunting and fishing trips when we did not have family obligations. Feel like a part of me is missing.

He was an only child so my wife and I are now empty nesters. Much tougher than I thought it would be. But I knew the day would come just wasn't as ready as I though I would be.

Anyway, we are ecstatic for him. Taking that first step to being an adult and on his own. Also found out he is slated for starting short stop for all 4 years even counting this year as a freshman, and will flip flop at second in some games with whoever they put at second depending on the situation. Coaching staff is thrilled to have him.

Anyway, super proud of him and his accomplishments, just trying to work through the empty feeling. So, I guess it's Honey-Do time for all the items the War Department wanted through the years to keep myself busy.

It will begin his adventure to adulthood!! Glad he is playing collegiate baseball.

He could not find a closer D3 in Texas? Baseball up there is far inferior in general then Texas ball.

Do yall plan on attending any games?

Comment

Aww man!!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

College baseball was a great time and he will find it that was as well. Probanly find some good pub land to hunt as well

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          It will begin his adventure to adulthood!! Glad he is playing collegiate baseball.

He could not find a closer D3 in Texas? Baseball up there is far inferior in general then Texas ball.

Yes he could, but wanted to hit the field first year. Also did not want a big school. Did not like the locations or sizes of the other schools that had serious interest.

Wants to finish up the degree part at SFA to be a Warden. If he ends up wanting out after he has some collegiate numbers before 4 years then would try to play for Cardenas at SFA. He liked him moth times he saw him but said he probably wouldn’t start or play much his first year, maybe 2 and definitely needed more size and a touch more mph. He also pitches. Throws 84 across the diamond and has pitched up to 84 but only repeated that number 1 time. Stays around 81/82.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

Yes he could, but wanted to hit the field first year. Also did not want a big school. Did not like the locations or sizes of the other schools that had serious interest.

Wants to finish up the degree part at SFA to be a Warden. If he ends up wanting out after he has some collegiate numbers before 4 years then would try to play for Cardenas at SFA. He liked him moth times he saw him but said he probably wouldn’t start or play much his first year, maybe 2 and definitely needed more size and a touch more mph. He also pitches. Throws 84 across the diamond and has pitched up to 84 but only repeated that number 1 time. Stays around 81/82.

And yes, will be attending games. One of us will be flying up be a month and his spring break is in FL.

Comment

Just means you're a good dad with a happy kid.

I couldn't friggin' wait to get off to college. Not sure I even called home in the first month.

Comment

Congrats to your son. I'm sure it will get easier.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  College baseball was a great time and he will find it that was as well. Probanly find some good pub land to hunt as well
                  Most of the UP where he is at shoot decent racks, but on the small side.

The head coach told him while we were all standing there that they would hook him up with one of the other kids from WI. That kid works on a deer farm but also has property or access to some were the coach said he takes a few people with him each year and they never shoot anything less than 10 points and around 250-300 pounds. That go his interest!

Mine too. Told him if he could, and the kid was all for it, my buddy and I would come up next season to meet him and hunt it as well. We would bring all the gear with us and bring all the meat and heads back so he only had to fling an arrow or toss a bullet.

I have hunted KS and MO. That would be an adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    Just means you're a good dad with a happy kid.

I couldn't friggin' wait to get off to college. Not sure I even called home in the first month.
                    Thank you sir.

Me either. Left home my senior year before graduation to get my own apartment and then the military thing, I liked the freedom and wanted it too. I was never one to let grass grow under my feet.

I am sure he will do fine, just needs to get his mind right and settle in.

Comment

Good luck to him!

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

Congrats. He will be fine and both of you will adjust.

Comment

I feel you. We drove my son to Michigan earlier in the month to go to Concordia in Ann Arbor (NAIA D2). He's running cross country and has his first meet tomorrow - it kills me to not be able to get in the car and be there to see him run. Similar deal, he does well in smaller schools and he was able to get a scholarship as well at that level. He's going for a 5 year Masters degree in Athletic Training. Concordia landed one of the top athletic trainers in the country to run their program.

Comment

Originally posted by RevMS View Post
                              I feel you. We drove my son to Michigan earlier in the month to go to Concordia in Ann Arbor (NAIA D2). He's running cross country and has his first meet tomorrow - it kills me to not be able to get in the car and be there to see him run. Similar deal, he does well in smaller schools and he was able to get a scholarship as well at that level. He's going for a 5 year Masters degree in Athletic Training. Concordia landed one of the top athletic trainers in the country to run their program.
                              Congrats to the young man. Yeah, it’s better daily. With the exception of a few out of towns for work, I have only missed a handful of games in the last probably 10 years. Not seeing him play is what I will miss. However, they do do a live stream, just no zooming due to a stationary cam, so at least I have that. D3 can’t do athletic ships which you probably know, but he did get $10K for academic ship.

Best of luck to your son!

Comment

Working...
                              X