Paying cash over 10K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying cash over 10K

So I sold some toys and have some cash on hand. I'm buying a new motorcycle for 22K and was wondering the best way to pay for it without the IRS being notified.

Do I need to just pay $9900 with cash and take out a loan for the rest and pay it off in a couple payments? If I take the cash to the bank and get a cashiers check for 22K is that the same as using cash and will be reported?

Thanks guys

Not sure on the cashiers check, but yes on the couple of payments.
    A dealership will not take more than 5k though, at least the one I dealt with, he said it was company policy.

Comment

If buying from a dealer, the dealership should be able to get a wire transfer from your bank.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
        ...and was wondering the best way to pay for it without the IRS being notified.
        You probably triggered some kind of algorithm and they already know.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
          If buying from a dealer, the dealership should be able to get a wire transfer from your bank.
          Are wire transfers over 10K considered same as cash and reported?

Comment

How will the IRS not know? You'll have to register it.

But if worried about cash trail then don't ever do any transaction at the bank for 10k or more. It was that amount years ago anyway.

Maybe go put a cash deposit down for $9,900 (if they let you do that much).

But as mentioned a wire transfer would work also. I don't think they're reported like cash.

Comment

Yes. Same thing.

This one has gotten a lot of people

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                Are wire transfers over 10K considered same as cash and reported?
                No. At least not typically. Even cash deposits over $10k aren’t always reported either. Only if it is “out of the ordinary”. Banks send wires all the time over $10k.

Comment

FS-2021-03, February 2021 — Although many cash transactions are legitimate, the government can often trace illegal activities through payments reported on complete, accurate Forms 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business. Here are facts on who must file the form, what they must report and how to report it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the bank has to notify the IRS via a Currency Transaction Report for anything over 10,000, that includes bank drafts, wire transfers, cashier's checks, ect.

Comment

I work for the IRS fraud division. I will be in touch.

Comment

It doesn't matter if the wire is reported or not because he can verify or they can see his job deposits going into the bank.

IMO (more like wild guess) they track cash looking for those not paying taxes. You deposit 50k in cash and they want to see where you pay tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          LOL, fortunately all the money is legit money. I would rather not have my name reported anywhere for spending my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            I have a couple cases of baby back ribs with your name on em, if you want to be buddies

Comment

I doubt you sold your toys for more than you paid for them so it’s not like you are failing to report profits. I would just use the cash however I wanted and wouldn’t worry about it

Comment

Working...
                              X