Fast bearing fruit trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast bearing fruit trees

What is the fastest growing/bearing fruit trees y’all have planted ? Where did you get em, and how much room do you need? I’m currently looking for some persimmon trees to get started on our property for the wildlife. Thanks y’all.

I bought some deer pear trees and they are nice and grow fast. I think fruit in 4-5 years

Comment

I agree pear is pretty fast and deer to love them also

Comment

Fast bearing fruit trees

Not sure where you are at but Meyer Lemons can fruit the first year. Its advised to not let them though so they can focus growing.

I put in peaches this year, yay drought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Watch out for grasshoppers they have decimated most trees we have tried except for Live Oak and Mexican Oak, they don't seem to like those

Comment

Peaches. I had some in my yard and they put on the first year. But the deer ate every single peach in 3 days. Id look for something that continuing fruit. Not just one shot per season.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
              Watch out for grasshoppers they have decimated most trees we have tried except for Live Oak and Mexican Oak, they don't seem to like those
              True, we had a great plum and grapefruit tree and then they died. We had an A&M person doing some soil testing on our place and he mentioned this to us as well. Wish they would kill the cedars

Comment

Plums, peaches and persimmons can all bear fruit the first year if the saplings are big enough to start with. This means the saplings are probably already 2 years old. Cold hardy avocados can bear in first year but usually take 4 to 7 years. Pears and apples 2-3 years. All depends on how old the saplings are when planted. Prepping the planting hole is key to good success followed by type of soil the roots grow out into.

Comment

Pears are great because most ar dropping fruit in October.

Comment

I have a small orchard.
                    Fastest to fruit is peach. Keep up with the proper pruning technique in the winter. That will help with proper fruiting. Then thin after petal fall.

Pears will start to fruit within 4-5 years if you have the right variety and good cross pollination

I’m 6-7 years in on persimmons but they’re not on the irrigation in the orchard . Both from seed and from dug up bare roots. Have 50-60. None have put on their petals yet so no clue if male or female but some are big enough id expect to see what sex they are soon.

As mentioned, grass hoppers suck this year. They are destructive on young fruit trees with fresh growth. I may lose a pear or two because of them. I hit them with tempo to keep them under control but I don’t spray trees with fruit on them with it.

Peaches/plums/pecans I get from Womack nursery in Deleon. All my pear trees I get from the wildlife group out of Alabama. Some great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                      True, we had a great plum and grapefruit tree and then they died. We had an A&M person doing some soil testing on our place and he mentioned this to us as well. Wish they would kill the cedars
                      So what's options are there against grasshoppers?

Comment

Great question Snakeeater

Comment

If your goal is to provide plants/ trees that attract and provide food for deer, particularly in season. Bois d’arc are(horse apple) provides great browse that deer love. Not the fruit as much as the leaves. Deer will eat every dried leaf green or dried to a crisp(once they begin to fall). BUT,,,,you have to have the correct soil and moisture conditions to get them started. Usually do best in creek bottoms and low land areas. Black land is where I’ve seen the most.

Comment

My Peach trees seemed to fruit fairly quickly, they are a bit finicky though I seem to be on the edge of growing zones so my trees get confused with the winter hours and only produce every other year or when we have an "Average Winter"

If you're getting a few, try different varieties, some will be ripe in June, some July, and some will produce fruit randomly through the summer.

oh and if you DO get peach trees, anytime you do get fruit and think to yourself "these peaches will be perfect in another couple days" pick them right away, dang birds have ruined my harvest because I left them out there TWO days too long

Comment

Bucks like to rub peach trees for some reason. Completely girdled 2 of the 3 trees I had.
                              Last edited by Walker; 07-21-2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X