Tell me about retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about retirement

I've been working 50 plus hours a week since I was 17. I'm 62 now and thinking about retirement.
    What do you do to fill your day?

I'm in the same boat and afraid I'll become an alcoholic.

Comment

Per my Grandfather, RIP, it was a waste of time and an excuse to let another man earn money that should've been his. Luckily cattle and tractors helped ease his transition lol

Comment

Not work. If you aren’t involved with your church or have some purpose you’ll be miserable

Comment

Grandkids coast house, deer lease, outboard mechanic. Don't know how I had time to do everything before I retired. As stated above. You have to have something to keep you busy.

Comment

Buy a bunch of land and you won’t ever have to think about the word retirement again, you’ll work until the day you die but you sure get to shoot a lot of stuff LOL. I’d go crazy trying to stay busy otherwise.

The worst part is out of all the people I’ve known to retire and take it easy they seem to die off soon afterwards so I’m out on that mess.

Comment

Nope. My wife has a "honey-do" list that involves more work than any job I've ever had.

Comment

Some days it sucks. Find something to do to keep it from sucking too much but don’t spend all your money. It’s a balancing act.

Comment

Fish when the weather is favorable!

Comment

Do not sit still on that old lazy boy! Don’t wait until the day of your retirement to start retirING. Spend Minimal time on the computer, get out and go go go with a nap in between.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      Nope. My wife has a "honey-do" list that involves more work than any job I've ever had.
                      Truth regarding the honey-do lists. I retired from my long career as a supervisor with the local adult probation department about 14months ago. I immediately went to work as a project manager with an architectural design firm working with clients that are designing custom home projects. I office from home, so my wife expects that if I have any downtime I knock out the items on her honey-do list. I definitely think completing her projects is more difficult than dealing with the criminals, prosecutors/defense attorneys, and judges I dealt with every day prior to retirement.

As others have said, grandchildren, fishing, hunting, my projects, her projects, reading, and staying abreast of current events would keep me pretty busy even if I was fully retired.

Comment

List

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Curt, too freaking funny !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Retirement doesn't interest me one bit. Lord willing, I'll still be here helping other people retire for at least 20 more years. (I'm about to turn 56 next week.)

Comment

Almost 4 years now. Nothing better IMO. I am the type that can't sit still. I work harder now than I ever did at my job, but I set my hours. LOL!
                            I help the wife out around the house while she is working. Get all my want to done when I want. Go to the ranch & piddle etc anytime I want. Hunt & fish when I want. Day is over before I know it & wonder where did the day go. I wonder how I got everything done when I did have a job.

I will add I was at the same place 40 yrs. The last several, I hated EVERY morning I got up to go to the job. Now I Thank the Lord every morning when I wake up & see the ceiling. LOL!
                            Last edited by DUKFVR; 07-05-2022, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Dukfvr is the busiest retired guy I know, but it’s a good busy. He is busy doing what “he” wants to do and not what the “man” wants him to do.

The 2nd busiest is my dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X