Where are the Elk hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    A 75 yo, lifetime elk hunter told me to get in the best shape you can, but simply don't walk faster than you can breath. ymmv
    Very true, slowing down that pace is not as easy as you would think though without training.

You can give John and I tips when we pick you on our way since you're afoot! :0
    Whatever ole son, this beast will be ready by then come hell or high water!

Comment

will be there first week of sept for bear and first week of nov for mullie/elk , maby i`ll get lucky

Comment

No elk this year but will be in WY for oct 1 mule deer. Maybe do a little elk scouting by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Very true, slowing down that pace is not as easy as you would think though without training.

Whatever ole son, this beast will be ready by then come hell or high water!
          We gots room for ya in the Elk trailer!

Comment

We gots room for ya in the Elk trailer!
            I knew ya'll was funny, not like haha funny either
            I'm a monkey killer from way back!

Comment

I knew ya'll was funny, not like haha funny either
              I'm a monkey killer from way back!
              It won't be funny to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                Most likely 86. Haven’t made up my mind yet.
                Won’t be that far up. If you were closer I was going to offer to help if you got in a bind or put a big one down. Good luck to you. I believe there are several pack horse groups near that area, might be worth looking into as a backup plan in the event you are are successful.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                  I am super excited for my elk hunt this year. We got drawn for 16B and going in on horseback with Tom Klumker from San Francisco River Outfitters. Hunting the 19-24 and in pretty good shape. Been spending more time working out than I have shooting, definitely need to be shooting more.
                  good choice of guide in a great unit. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                    good choice of guide in a great unit. good luck!
                    Thanks man I’m pretty pumped!! I did a lot of research and he seamed to have great reviews. Got drawn in our 4 year in the outfitter pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                      Won’t be that far up. If you were closer I was going to offer to help if you got in a bind or put a big one down. Good luck to you. I believe there are several pack horse groups near that area, might be worth looking into as a backup plan in the event you are are successful.
                      Thanks for the offer. I will PM you if I end up further south.

Comment

Most everything I've read over the years says the opposite in regards to strengthening the diaphragm.
                        I've been doing breathing exercises for 20 yrs, and it makes a world of difference from personal experience.
                        Especially when you have a pack on, chest strap secure, and your breathing movements are being restricted.

Diaphragmatic breathing is an exercising technique to help strengthen your diaphragm and fill your lungs with air more efficiently.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates...hing-exercises

I have been practicing breathing exercise for just over a year now. I wish I would have found it much earlier in life. I am constantly amazed at how much it helps with breath control during elevation gains and declines. You won’t need a mask gimmic if you work on your breath on a consistent basis.

Comment

Heading to South Africa instead of the mountains in September

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            I have been practicing breathing exercise for just over a year now. I wish I would have found it much earlier in life. I am constantly amazed at how much it helps with breath control during elevation gains and declines. You won’t need a mask gimmic if you work on your breath on a consistent basis.
                            Tell me more. I'm interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                              Tell me more. I'm interested.

I got bounced from a 25 year career due to long term respiratory exposure. I tried to work trough it for a good while and it caused even more damage. The SSDI sent me for testing and two months after filling out the SSDI application I got my first disability check for chronic respiratory failure. it’s been a really difficult time rehabilitating myself to were I could find my breath. Lack of O2 to the brain can lead to many physical and mental concerns. It’s been a battle.

So looking for tools for my own rehab I stumbled upon breath work. Several content creators on YouTube have tremendous amounts of knowledge on the subject. I started practicing for 15 minutes a day. I like to DMT breathing cause you can really relax and control your breath when you find the DMT white light.

The thing I try to make improvements on is my ability to do breath holds for time. Both exhales and inhales. Work on building your time up on the holds.

I live just a few minutes from cibola National forest trail heads so I get to use the hills/mountains for my gym. The improvements on my ability to maintain my breath just amazes me as a person who has struggled with not being able to breath properly for so long. I’m going to continue to practice breathing as part of my preparation for long trail hikes with a forty pound load on the backpack.

I use Binural beats on YT for my guided breath sessions. They have different techniques of breathing. I would just look for some 15 minute sessions that use multiple techniques to start.

If you try an do some consistent breath work you will feel a whole lot better during your everyday life. It will help you make significant gains.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhacker View Post
                                Unit 3 WY first week of Oct. Excitement building more every day.
                                I'm assuming you have access over there? Should be fun, not many mountains in area 3.
                                Good fishing over in that part of the state too, bird hunting as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X