Take The Time To Visit Your Loved Ones That Have Passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take The Time To Visit Your Loved Ones That Have Passed

So it had been on my heart for sometime that I hadn’t visited my dad and grandmothers grave site in a long time. It’s just something that I struggle with. They are buried in Rock Island which is where she had lived for many years. My dad died at an early age from lung cancer. The last year of his life he had to live with her as there was no way he could physically take care of himself after having one lung removed and 1/3 of the other one.

When she passed away she was laid to rest next to her only son and the new headstone was made for them both. I was ashamed when I saw the condition that we had allowed it to be in.

So a quick trip to Sheridan and the Dollar Store and we headed back to take care of business. We freshened the grave and made it look somewhat new again and then my wife gave me some one on one time so I could talk with both of them for a while. It was a great trip and I needed it as much as they did. Please take the time folks.

I guess I should explain the “struggle” of visiting. For me there is a lot of pain still from losing my dad. He was my best friend and mentor. He never got to see me walk the isle with my wife. He never got to meet his grandchildren nor they meet him. He never got a chance to witness my failures as a young man and and witness how I rebounded from those failures. He never got to witness any success that I have had in my life nor see what I had become knowing that he would be proud of my perseverance and work ethic that I learned from him. The pain never goes away and I’m glad that it doesn’t if that makes sense to anyone. It tells me that I am human.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gumbo Man; 08-10-2022, 11:40 AM.

My wife and her sister never go to their parents grave. My folks are buried right across from the Aggie Field of Honor in College Station. I didn’t go to their grave last time I was there but plan on it next trip. I know that only their remains are there, but it still brings me peace when I go to their gravesite.

Comment

Nice work on the clean up.

Funny thing, I dont go visit graves of my loved ones. I have great memories, but it has just never been something I do. However, I like going through graveyards and looking at the ages and finding the oldest marked graves.

Comment

Go every chance I get, and talk to them.
        Me and dad just made a trip weekend before last, and cleaned up my grandmother's stone, and 2 of my uncles stones.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Go every chance I get, and talk to them.
          Me and dad just made a trip weekend before last, and cleaned up my grandmother's stone, and 2 of my uncles stones.
          Those are nice stones MH.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Those are nice stones MH.
            Appreciate it, headstones have been a family business for nearly 60 yrs.

Comment

Just got back from a trip to Rio Vista, Itasca and Waxahachie. Took my dad to the gravesites of his family. Sucked seeing my dad just staring at the stones, I could see it in his face. We make the trip at least two times a year. I'm very thankful I still have my parents to this day, I couldn't imagine not being able to pick up the phone and call them. Try to record them with my phone when I can. Stone looks great, excellent job!! Gumbo, I'm sure he is looking down on you and smiling at the man you are and your accomplishments!!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfeathers View Post
                Just got back from a trip to Rio Vista, Itasca and Waxahachie. Took my dad to the gravesites of his family. Sucked seeing my dad just staring at the stones, I could see it in his face. We make the trip at least two times a year. I'm very thankful I still have my parents to this day, I couldn't imagine not being able to pick up the phone and call them. Try to record them with my phone when I can. Stone looks great, excellent job!! Gumbo, I'm sure he is looking down on you and smiling at the man you are and your accomplishments!!
                I record my parents every chance I get, it's one of the best things about technology.
                So many that i would love to just hear their voice again..
                I have old footage of my brother but it's 8mm and no sound.

Comment

Funny you should post this, making that trip has been on my mind lately. My father is buried in Parker Cemetery outside Grapeland. It started as a family cemetery in the 1850's when my Parker ancestor buried a son who died in an accident. There are several hundred graves there now many of whom I am related to in one way or another. The majority of my family on that side never left Houston County or the surrounding area going back 170 years. When I go, I take picture of old headstones so I can do some research on who they were. The older I get the more compelled I am to explore my roots...

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    I record my parents every chance I get, it's one of the best things about technology.
                    So many that i would love to just hear their voice again..
                    I have old footage of my brother but it's 8mm and no sound.
                    Yes sir, a guy told me one day "I just wish I could hear my mothers voice again". He also told me to record my folks, make copies and keep them in a different location just in case. He stated on his ruff days he would listen to voicemails of his mother to get him through the day. His phone crashed and he loss it all. I did the same with my brother but no copies, phone crashed and lost it. Thanks for posting Gumbo, just a heads up for others to make it a point to visit their loved ones!!

Comment

Mom and I get out to visit Dad on a regular basis. I try to keep his Marker as clean as possible.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Funny you should post this, making that trip has been on my mind lately. My father is buried in Parker Cemetery outside Grapeland. It started as a family cemetery in the 1850's when my Parker ancestor buried a son who died in an accident. There are several hundred graves there now many of whom I am related to in one way or another. The majority of my family on that side never left Houston County or the surrounding area going back 170 years. When I go, I take picture of old headstones so I can do some research on who they were. The older I get the more compelled I am to explore my roots...
                        I know Grapeland well Jerp. It’s only an hour from me.

Comment

Yes. I wish I could go back and record my mom and dad. I tell everyone to take lots of pictures. I save all my wife and sons voicemails as well. Take no day for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                            Mom and I get out to visit Dad on a regular basis. I try to keep his Marker as clean as possible.
                            That’s a nice monument Brandon. It’s a symbol of not only what our dads did for our family, but what they did for our country as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              Yes. I wish I could go back and record my mom and dad. I tell everyone to take lots of pictures. I save all my wife and sons voicemails as well. Take no day for granted.
                              So true. Every word of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X