Early Season Arizona OTC mule deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Season Arizona OTC mule deer

How many have hunted the Arizona Early mule deer season? We hunted in December and found some good bucks, but we are wondering if they stay in the same areas during summer. What do y’all think? Any tips for early season hunting? Should we hunt the same areas or find new units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi , i live in south east az........mule deer travel alot during the Dec. rut .....miles .......summer bucks usually .....do not move far... in the summer ......Hot ....will bed up most of the day only move more or less at night...and bed at first light ....setting waterholes in some area's pay's of.....most of the time it is a very long sit....

Comment

Originally posted by svbubba View Post
      hi , i live in south east az........mule deer travel alot during the Dec. rut .....miles .......summer bucks usually .....do not move far... in the summer ......Hot ....will bed up most of the day only move more or less at night...and bed at first light ....setting waterholes in some area's pay's of.....most of the time it is a very long sit....

Do you think going to the same area where we found deer in January would be productive?

Comment

it is a start ......but mature mulies ....TRAVEL......they will breed a group of does and then move on to the next group........

Comment

Deer migrate a long way.

I’ve hunted them in early September and would not expect to find deer in December where we were finding them in September

From what the locals tell me they will move 20 miles or more to winter range

Comment

get a January tag. Most of the locals are done hunting. If you don't tag out the same tag is good for that fall....great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
              get a January tag. Most of the locals are done hunting. If you don't tag out the same tag is good for that fall....great deal.

That’s what we are doing. We bought our tag in January when we hunted and going to use it again here in a few weeks.

Comment

Good luck. It'll be hot, but you'll have a crack at them before the new quotas start shutting units down for the year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

My twin girls drew an antlered deer tag in 36A in November.
                  Not sure what I’m getting into and never been there before.
                  We’ll see..

Comment

A buddy of mine has been out there 3 times in January with a guide hunting trophy MD and has yet to connect. He did get a shot at 75 yards but shot under the buck. Lots of glassing and some long stalks.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X