Real World MPG - Heavy Duty Gas Burnner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    The Cummins inline 6 reigns supreme. Over 20 and 16-18 towing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On real diesel. I could get 23 before they took the sulphur out of the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5.9 Cummins

My 2005 Dodge 2500 gets 21+ avg and has about 230k on the odometer.
      Warranty replaced one of the ignition modules early and I replaced a cracked injector line. That's it, no other repairs ever.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeyhunter1 View Post
        Chad E

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if the cost of a diesel is worth it.

I don't tow often but I put a lot of miles on a truck. Just trying to figure out if the increased MPG is worth the extra money.

Have you considered a Chevy or GMC 1500 with a 3.0 Duramax? Some people are reporting over 30 mpg on the highway, with most everyone getting mid 20's+ MPG. They are rated to tow roughly 9000 pounds, but really should be kept to 7,000 pounds or less.

Comment

Based on $3.71 unleaded and $4.74 diesel… if you get 12 mpg average on gas and 18 mpg average on diesel (under and over estimates likely) it would take 183,000 miles to recover the $11,000 cost difference. This also does not account for cost of DEF and higher oil changes. But also does not account for the significantly better resale value of the diesel.

Comment

My dad just made the switch. 19 6.7 f350 4:10 dually to a 22 7.3 f350 4:30 dually. He hauls pretty heavy all the time, and says he can't really tell a difference so far. Says he likes it. Mileage is too close to worry about, fuel is cheaper, and Doesn't use hardly any DEF....LOL

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

2021 F250 Tremor 7.3 4.30 gears. 13 on the highway, 13 in town. Really enjoy driving it

Comment

The diesel is about a $8k upgrade from the 7.3. He's not asking about diesels.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                  8K will buy a whole lot of gas!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    We never miss an opportunity to answer a question that wasn't asked here at tbh!

Now I like to answer a question with a question! Like why OP needs more than a half ton truck? We need some more facts first!

Comment

I’ve got 700 miles on mine f350 3.73 I’ve only run back and forth to town and country roads and lots of pasture miles. Hauling hay bales. It’s been steady climbing but today it went over 11 up to 11.2. I’ve not reset it since I drove it off the lot. Have not done any miles on the open highway with it and have not run it in any mode but normal. Hoping to eventually end up around 12-13 but the added weight of a flatbed will bring that back down probably. Regardless I didn’t buy it for the fuel mileage

Comment

Have a 3.0 duramax, 30 mpg happens when your under 80 and wind is at your back. 24 city and 27 highway is what I see consultant, and changing oil is simple and $56 doing it myself.

The LZ0 3.0 duramax is suppose to be more power and tow 13,000.

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                        Have you considered a Chevy or GMC 1500 with a 3.0 Duramax? Some people are reporting over 30 mpg on the highway, with most everyone getting mid 20's+ MPG. They are rated to tow roughly 9000 pounds, but really should be kept to 7,000 pounds or less.

Comment

How many miles per tank are y’all getting on the 7.3 gasser F250s?

Comment

Originally posted by Choppa311 View Post
                            Right around 400 with a short bed crew. I don’t drive til E though. Typically fill up around 50-70 miles before E.

Comment

Originally posted by Choppa311 View Post

I have the 48 gallon tank, I fill up at about 500 miles or 1/4 tank

Computer says I can make 625-650, but I try not to get that close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                                Right around 400 with a short bed crew. I don’t drive til E though. Typically fill up around 50-70 miles before E.
                                Same for me 400-405

Comment

Working...
                                X