.300 Win Mag Scope Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.300 Win Mag Scope Question

Pretty settled on getting a Leupold VX5 on the Bergerac wilderness I just bought. As far as magnification, would you go 2-10x42 or 3-15x44? Will be using this gun as an Elk rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-15 for sure but I’d personally go 4-20... that 300 can reach out and touch something from a loooong ways away. Gonna be a sweet rig

Comment

4-20 no doubt…..that gun has the thump to put one down well over 800yds. You may not plan to take shots the far currently but once you build confidence in the gun you may find yourself wanting to test your limits. Buy once and be done! Great scope choice by the way

Comment

3-15 minimum for what you're wanting to do.

Comment

I just bought a Bergara B-14 Ridge in 300 win. I opted for the VX3HD in 4.5-14. I would go with the 3-15, or 4-20 as others have mentioned.

Comment

Def 3-15 or more with 300 WM

Comment

I have a VX-III 4.5-14 on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                I have a VX-III 4.5-14 on mine.
                I do too. Feels like enough but hey, I wouldn't mind a little more magnification! Regardless of magnification, my max Shooting distance is 500 yards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm always in the over 20x max power camp. Never seem to shoot over 15-18x, but dial back from higher power.

Comment

I went with a Mark 5 3x18 and couldn’t be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                      I'm always in the over 20x max power camp. Never seem to shoot over 15-18x, but dial back from higher power.

What reticle? I don't even know what is available in that series scope but,
                      I prefer mil dot for hold over adjusting with the SFP reticle. MOA works just as well.
                      With a Mark 5 you get FFP and never have to worry bout zoom power elevation error.
                      All it takes is $$$$
                      Love them Leupold eyeboxes. No other scope gives me the high magnification wall to wall vision.

Comment

3-15 would be the minimum I would consider and heavily lean toward the 4-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shoot my 300 WM topped with a Leopold 3.5 x 10 x 50mm since 1988. 3 kills past 400 yrs on W. Texas mule deer. I would not go with anything less than 50 mm, that should be your concern.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                            I would not go with anything less than 50 mm
                            Agreed

Comment

Holding zero should be the biggest concern, Won’t be a problem with the series scope you’re going with. As far as zoom it’s all personal preference. I have a 6.5-20x vx3 on a 7mag and rarely have it over about 14x even when shooting over 500. To me the perfect hunting scope zoom range is 3-10x and 4.5-14x.

An elk at 350-400 yards on 14x looks like a whitetail at 150 on 14x. It’s a big target.
                              Last edited by diamond10x; 12-30-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X