Tree Stands - Help Me Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Stands - Help Me Out

New to trees. They don't exist where I usually hunt.

Up here in Arkansas, wanting to hunt public and the in-laws back lot. Probably need to climb a tree.

(For rifle season I'll probably still hunt the National Forest but don't think that's gonna work for bow season).

Point me in a direction/make a suggestion/just tell me what I need.

Thanks!

What national forest are you hunting?

Comment

Bowhunting will be Holla Bend, Galla Creek, and Ed Gordon WMAs.

Rifle will probably be Ouchita NF and Mount Magazine WMA but am certainly open to recommendations.

Comment

Well your going to need a climber. Summit Viper SD is one of the best, (I use a API Grand Slam also good) Maybe Lightweight aluminum climbing sticks and a few lock on's. Will need a good safety/climbing harness. (climbing harness is good for setting up your lock on).

Hooks for your stuff to hang on, bow hanger for your bow. I also have if needed Pop-Up Umbrella if you want to hunt in the rain. Not needed but if you have one Range Finder, can be a little tricky judging distance in a tree. Going to need a few Bow Hoist Ropes one for your bow and one for your back pack.
        Last edited by Bassdeer; 10-26-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Look into tree saddles too. I have the Jx3 hybrid, which is basically a lawn chair you tie off to a tree. Very comfortable for long sits and you have a much wider selection of trees to hunt off of. Plus you are putting a tree between you and where you will expect deer to approach from, I get a lot less looks from old does in the saddle than I do our hang on sets.

Comment

When I had a lease I had a hang on that looked like this - https://millennium-outdoors.com/prod...60-revolution/

Was great for bow or rifle season.

I second the look into a tree saddle. https://tethrdnation.com/

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
              Look into tree saddles too. I have the Jx3 hybrid, which is basically a lawn chair you tie off to a tree. Very comfortable for long sits and you have a much wider selection of trees to hunt off of. Plus you are putting a tree between you and where you will expect deer to approach from, I get a lot less looks from old does in the saddle than I do our hang on sets.
              I’d be looking at saddles for public land. Way less to carry, safer and no back tightness from sitting

Comment

Whilst hunting the inlaws, consider a tall A-Frame ladder tucked behind a tree. Works to elevate and doubles as a relatively easily mobile blind if the setup needs to change.

Comment

I started out using a climber and now I think they are probably one of the worst options. They are a bit better suited for pines but just so bulky and heavy.

I also recommend looking into saddles or a lightweight hang on. I am a fan of the milleneum m7 microlite. Not too expensive and a great setup.

Comment

LoneWolf or Novix + 3-4 sticks of your choice.

Comment

Summit aluminum or Lone Wolf climber. They are pricey. But, well worth the extra money.

I know people will throw in Brands X,Y,Z. But, there are still none better than these two. When you are high in a tree you do not want to place your safety on a cheap stand or safety harness.

Comment

I vote saddle, it’s the lightest option and you can get in just about any tree you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im in a similar situation. Im thinking of going saddle.

Comment

Update

Thanks for all the help and guidance guys!

Borrowed an Old Man climber from a friend, and hunted out of it a few times.

Was intrigued by the saddle idea, did a bunch of research, and wound up ordering an XOP Renegade. Sold out most places but Scheels had them in stock.

$125 for the saddle, ropes, and a pouch. Went with some cheap climbing sticks. Can add a platform later and probably will but for a 2.5 hour sit just using the sticks was fine.

Climber was pretty easy to get used to and will probably still use it a few more times this season, but getting the saddle in, especially via kayak, is a lot easier.

Comment

Don’t forget to wear a safety harness

Comment

Working...
                              X