Pull behind shredder recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriosly considering buying one of these for our lease down south. Will not be used to make new senderos but to maintain previously shredded ones and our roads. Definitely still need the "rough cut" version I'm sure. Tractor supply seems to be the best bet. Anyone have experience with these?

Originally posted by bklem View Post
    Seriosly considering buying one of these for our lease down south. Will not be used to make new senderos but to maintain previously shredded ones and our roads. Definitely still need the "rough cut" version I'm sure. Tractor supply seems to be the best bet. Anyone have experience with these?
    Deck thickness makes a difference in longevity. The thicker the deck, the more expensive it will be. My neighbors, on the other hand, went cheap…lasted 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
      Deck thickness makes a difference in longevity. The thicker the deck, the more expensive it will be. My neighbors, on the other hand, went cheap…lasted 15 years.
      Thanks. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Comment

Guys on our lease have 2 that we use to mow our pipelines and roads. They work great pretty simple design not a whole lot to mess up. I couldn’t tell you what brand they are but both were bought used for cheap and they work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you wanting one to pull behind an ATV or a tractor?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Are you wanting one to pull behind an ATV or a tractor?
            Atv/Polaris pull behind. No PTO just the engine sitting on top I believe is how they work. I’ve never actually seen one in action.

Comment

I just bought a Swisher 44” Country Cut from TS on Labor Day. I used it for about 6 hours mowing chest high weeds without it bogging down. Worked great mowing our roads until I hit a stump. That caused one blade to fold in and I had to loosen the nut with a 1 1/8 socket then bang on the blade with a sledge to get it back in position. I have not tried to cut anything over small yaupon and tall grass. You have to mow at 3-5 mph so if you have a lot of pasture it will take a while. TS has no interest for 18 months and they gave me 10% back on my first purchase when I applied for the credit card. Best deal I could find. I like it so far. Not sure it would work well if you have rocky soil. We are in central Texas with sandy soil and lots of Yaupon.

Comment

Im not how one of those pull behind mowers is going to handle South Texas Brush, even if used to just maintain. Might be better to rent a tractor with a shredder a couple times a year ( spring/fall) or just fall for that matter. Might ask the ranch owner if you could use his (assuming he has one) and yall take over the maintaining roads and senderos.

Comment

Find a bush hog with the high speed gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    Im not how one of those pull behind mowers is going to handle South Texas Brush, even if used to just maintain. Might be better to rent a tractor with a shredder a couple times a year ( spring/fall) or just fall for that matter. Might ask the ranch owner if you could use his (assuming he has one) and yall take over the maintaining roads and senderos.
                    This - I used my tractor and shredder down south for a number of years to do just what you are doing - just maintain - a pull behind IMO will not work - too rough down there

Comment

Thanks for the info. We have used the same guy to shred for the last 5 years. He used a skid steer with brush hog on front and did a great job. Says he isn’t available until December now so we were just looking at an alternative. Thought it might save us some money in the long run but once again, I have no experience with these pull behinds.

Comment

I use a rhino batwing on a 120hp tractor, seriously would not get the TSC mower for heavy duty use

Comment

Originally posted by McLovin View Post
                          I just bought a Swisher 44” Country Cut from TS on Labor Day. I used it for about 6 hours mowing chest high weeds without it bogging down. Worked great mowing our roads until I hit a stump. That caused one blade to fold in and I had to loosen the nut with a 1 1/8 socket then bang on the blade with a sledge to get it back in position. I have not tried to cut anything over small yaupon and tall grass. You have to mow at 3-5 mph so if you have a lot of pasture it will take a while. TS has no interest for 18 months and they gave me 10% back on my first purchase when I applied for the credit card. Best deal I could find. I like it so far. Not sure it would work well if you have rocky soil. We are in central Texas with sandy soil and lots of Yaupon.

Couple of things on the Swisher to keep an eye on: I ended up double nutting the tongue attachment, as it had a tendency to work loose. Keep ane eye on the wheels bearings as well.

Comment

I would rent…I have rented a tractor and shredder in the Pleasanton area and it was about $1100 for 3 day rental(24 hours of use). I enjoy doing the work.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                              Thanks for the info. We have used the same guy to shred for the last 5 years. He used a skid steer with brush hog on front and did a great job. Says he isn’t available until December now so we were just looking at an alternative. Thought it might save us some money in the long run but once again, I have no experience with these pull behinds.
                              I've never used one of the ATV pull behinds but if you're used to having it shredded you're not going to be happy with the ATV one, imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X