No announcement yet.

College Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a veteran, I always advise young adults who aren't sure what path to take to join the military as a starting ground. Take the time served to decide what career to pursue and let the GI Bill pay for the training/tuition for his/her future job role. It's the path I chose and wouldn't change a thing in my decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by jathomas437 View Post
      As a veteran, I always advise young adults who aren't sure what path to take to join the military as a starting ground. Take the time served to decide what career to pursue and let the GI Bill pay for the training/tuition for his/her future job role. It's the path I chose and wouldn't change a thing in my decisions.
      Same here. You grow up fast too. Not many other places give 19 yr Olds the kind of responsibility the military does

Comment

If he is mechanically inclined, I would suggest military aviation. Get the training and experience and if he chooses to make a career of it then he found his niche in life. If he chooses to serve his enlistment and get out, he can get his A&P license and earn a very good living as an aircraft mechanic. 40 years as a aircraft mechanic here and really enjoyed what I did.

Comment

see if he has taken an ASVAB test yet, and if not, get him to take it. That will at least tell him where his abilities may point him.

Comment

HVAC will always be in demand in Texas. Process operations has treated me well too.

Comment

I was at a massive construction site building a new unit in a chemical plant yesterday, and someone told me that the crane operators are the highest paid of all trades at the site. Looked like half of them were taking naps.

If it was my kid I'd be trying to get him to learn a trade of some type or join the military. Electricians and plumbers will always be needed, and it would be easy for him to open his own business one day if he wanted. From there I would look at getting into some type of construction. A linemen would also be a great job with an opportunity to advance.

The expense of a college education has done nothing but go up, but the value of that education continues to go down. It is just watered down so much these days. There is no doubt that you will need to work harder and longer hours without the college education, but I'd be willing to bet those heavy construction guys make more than most kids coming out of school with an Ag Science degree.

Comment

I work for a Junior College, and I can tell you that the vocational jobs pay really well. Process/Nuclear Technology makes dang good money and it's a 2 year degree. Welders, AC/Electrical, Cosmetology, Auto Mechanics, Police Academy all make good money and you don't have to get a 4 year degree. Some are even certificates that you can do in a semester (Police Academy). Jr College or Tech Colleges are great alternatives because they are certainly cheaper, and are often times closer to home. A close friend of mine has a son the same age as mine. He took dual credit during HS and then college classes in the summers starting after his sophomore year. When he graduate HS he had all his basics out of the way, and he took 2 semesters of Process Tech and graduated at 19yoa. His first full year he made 6 figures at a plant, as a 19year old, with no student loan debt.

Comment

I have a couple of nephews that went to Electrical lineman school. They have been really busy during the storms.

Comment

I haven’t read all the advice above so it might’ve already been mentioned.
                    Instead of trade “school” he could get on as a helper/apprentice for a trade like HVAC. Learn it really well and then move into being a solid technician. Either stay on with the company or start his own business.

Comment

My son recently decided to ditch college for lineman school. His heart just wasn't in traditional education although he was doing well. He wanted to do something outside where he feels it makes a difference. It was hard decision for him, and equally for us parents who are both professionals who preached college since he was a young kid. He's never been afraid of hard work, and wanted something he felt good about - liking being part of the team turning the lights back on after a storm. He's been in the program for several weeks and is loving every minute of it. The demand is there, if you're willing to work hard. I couldn't be more proud of his decision and drive to not follow the "traditional" path.

Comment

I'll approach from a different angle since you've got plenty of non college answers. From the college perspective, only look at things that make the investment worthwhile. Think more like a business man, than a guy who just wants to do something. Accounting, finance, software development, MBA, etc. I may be an outlier, but did my school, got a good job, worked hard, and have paid off all debts, have a wife and son, and a house, under 30. I knew what I wanted lifestyle and life goals wise, and found something I could do well without stressing myself hard, that could pay for it. I'm now looking at investing in my own unrelated business. You want them to be in a position where they make the choices, have the power to decide their path, and know why and how they're going to do it.

That said, I have two young men I mentor at church that have gone to tech school who have the opportunity to make what I did starting out when I was labouring at a steel mill, have less debt than I took, and are in control of their financial future because they're financially literate. Financial literacy and understanding is almost more important than the income that is provided/used.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

airline, or crop duster.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                              Whats the turn over rate? I could work those type of hours for 2-3 years and then be so burned out the money wouldn't mean anything to me anymore.
                              Guys do this an entire career or until they move up. Its just what we did. Becomes part of your life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks OP for asking this question. A lot of useful information in these posts. Some good ideas here, and I will use this info in conversations with my family and friends, thanks to those who posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X