Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping container redneck RV/ lease cabin (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping container redneck RV/ lease cabin (pic heavy)

So after leaving a RV at the lease for the past few years and watching it deteriorate rather quicky, I sold it and used the money to build this thing. I have wanted to do it for a few years and even before I bought the RV I had out there. These containers are wind, rain, mice and bug proof.
    I mounted a 20ft shipping conatiner it on a old 27’ RV frame (dual 3500lb axles) that I bought off craigslist, chained the front and back, put straps on it to secure for transport. BTW it isnt pink, it is gray, there were a bunch of red ones behind me when I took the pic.

I started off by building a deck on the 7 or so feet in front on the 20foot container.
    I framed the inside and a “false” wall with 2x3’s. I made it so the inside dimension was 16ft. That left me a couple of feet outside for storage that would still be secure when I shut the container doors. I have chains for the doors to keep them from slamming shut and trapping me.
    I wired up some outlets and 2 lights on switches. I also added later a porch light and plug up high on the outside wall for stringing lights. On the outside of the false wall is a breaker box with one breaker running the trailer and one running a dedicated outlet for a window unit or a heater as well as the GFCI.
    Then I sprayed closed cell foam on the walls. This stuff is expensive, but adds pretty good R value as well as a vapor barrier to stop condensation in the inside of the walls on the metal skin. It only took about 45 minutes to do.
    After that we put luan panels on the ceiling and walls and put down some cheap engineered hardwood floors over 7 /16” OSB. Installed the door, window and trim. Lastly I added a smoke/carbon monoxide detector.

Once I get it to the lease I will add the stairs and eventually a tin roofed porch cover. I will add a sink with hot water in the future...possibly a outside shower. We have a flushable outhouse at the lease so no need for a toilet as of now.

All said and done, I will have about $4500 in this. Just a bit more than I sold the trailer for. I mounted it to the trailer in case I ever need to move it. For the cost to have them deliver it and ever move it again, I was able to but the RV trailer frame.

The plan is to put a bunk bed with a double on the bottom, a chest of drawers and maybe a fold out sofa or a card table to make room for a air matteress if I need to sleep more than just me and the boy out there. I wil add some shelves or something to store gear.
    Attached Files

Great Job.

Comment

Nice work! Keep posting pics

Comment

THat is VERY cool!!!

Comment

Nice !!

Comment

I really like the fact that you made it mobile. Very cool build amigo

Comment

I think that I am going to go this route next year.
              Done a good job.

If you don't mind pm me where you got your container and a ballpark price

Thank you

Comment

Looking great!

Comment

Looks awesome! Will it have any type of ventilation?

Comment

Good job Sir.

Comment

You should sell these.

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

Heck of an idea, nice work. That will be a great place to sleep and hang out.

Comment

This is what I have been wanting to do. Nice job!

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X