Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following

Comment

What kind of BHA are you running? You will need some weight above your bit to assist with drilling. Dont know if they make any drill collars in 2 3/8'' 4 foot long but its going to be tough drilling out with out any type of weight. If you changed to a bentonite based mud, good but remember your drill pipe will become more bouyant in this mud reducing your weight on bit. I assume its a cone bit your running. Try pumping some nut plug down if your mud pump will handle it you might just be balled up.

Comment

It's not the drilling giving me problems its being able to circulate the hole I'm so deep now my pump won't circulate fast enough to carry cutting to the surface which is causing me to get stuck and plug off. Was just wintering what kinda pump they use on a water well drilling rig? Not a air unit I don't have access to a big enough compressor.

Comment

I have been drilling wells for 38 yrs, So here goes, stop the Bentonite, it will ball up the bit when drilling shallow wells due to the drilling of clays. it will not drill. Go back to clear clean water. Use PHPA liquid and add 1 qt down the drill pipe as needed to clean. U will need some volume of water and if pipe is to small your pressure will be to high and it could be dangerous if something broke loose. In the old days they used cabletool rigs to drill oil wells and could be used today but is slow. I don't want to be negative but u could spend a lot of time and $ and still not get what u need or want. look up design of cabletool rig. And good luck.
          I also just ran a pump down a waterwell I had drilled to 160' in e Tex. and the cost was for drilling and pump was $6000.00 and will pump 70 gpm. Now I have to get Panola Co elec to set pole and meter.

Comment

What is PHPA?

Comment

PHPA is a polymer and is designed to give water the ability to cary out the cuttings. It can be purchased at drilling mud companies. Look at drilling mud or drilling fluid companies. It comes in 5 gal buckets in liquid form. Cost would be about 150.00 per bucket. and like I said, pour about a qt down the pipe and u will see it when it comes back. u can also use liquid HEC, it will be exp. but it requires no shear to get thick to clean out the hole of cuttings. hope this helps

Comment

sweet DIY! cant wait to see the videos. let us know when you hit TD

Comment

What kind of pump are you using now??

Comment

You might pm outlaw38. He drilled a few wells

Comment

Thanks deer farmer that is some help. We got the hole clean and now we got into some really hard stuff had to pull the bit and going to rebuild will keep you posted and I have plenty of video but have no idea how to post them.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                        PHPA is a polymer and is designed to give water the ability to cary out the cuttings. It can be purchased at drilling mud companies. Look at drilling mud or drilling fluid companies. It comes in 5 gal buckets in liquid form. Cost would be about 150.00 per bucket. and like I said, pour about a qt down the pipe and u will see it when it comes back. u can also use liquid HEC, it will be exp. but it requires no shear to get thick to clean out the hole of cuttings. hope this helps
                        Been a long time since I have seen reference to HEC, remember using it when I was mud engineering in the early 80's. I do remember most of our water well guys used Quick Gel, HEC, and liquid polymers.

Good luck with the rest of your project.

Comment

Thanks Tmag its come to a slow moving crawl having to depend on people that are busy them selves has really slowed things up but hopefully going back in the hole tonight to see if the new changes to the bit are going to work out.

Comment

Very interested in how tonight goes. Good luck.

Comment

More water pressure...........

Comment

Working...
                              X