Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have killed them with the following:
    Remington 700 Mountain Rifle 30-06 w/nolser 150 gr ballistic tip and 165 gr hornady interlock
    Remington 700 7 mag with remington 150 gr core-lock
    Remington 700 270 with 140 gr remington core-lock

The lightest rifle I have used was the mountain rifle.

Comment

I definitely think you need a new gun specific to Nilgai. It's obvious that none of your rifles will be adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
        I definitely think you need a new gun specific to Nilgai. It's obvious that none of your rifles will be adequate.
        exactly... I just want a new gun...

Comment

Originally posted by ttu1997 View Post
          I have killed them with the following:
          Remington 700 Mountain Rifle 30-06 w/nolser 150 gr ballistic tip and 165 gr hornady interlock
          Remington 700 7 mag with remington 150 gr core-lock
          Remington 700 270 with 140 gr remington core-lock

The lightest rifle I have used was the mountain rifle.

the stainless mountain rifle is on the list

Comment

Well everyone knows the 10mm is the ultimate in hunting firearms.

Comment

Get a 458 socom

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Get a 458 socom

Need something that shoots a little flatter than the 458. Just in case i have to reach out a little ways...

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                  Need something that shoots a little flatter than the 485. Just in case i have to reach out a little ways...

I’ve shot mine out to 450 yards... just saying but I understand what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    I’ve shot mine out to 450 yards... just saying but I understand what you mean.

thats crazy what was the bullet drop at that distance...

Comment

I shot mine with a 7 mm rem mag with a 150 grain Remington core lokt. Howa 1500 synthetic. People give them too much credit just shoot a normal elk/deer rifle and try to hit it in the lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley64 View Post
                        I shot mine with a 7 mm rem mag with a 150 grain Remington core lokt. Howa 1500 synthetic. People give them too much credit just shoot a normal elk/deer rifle and try to hit it in the lungs.
                        Agreed, but I think the reason they're considered so tough is a lot of deer hunters shoot where they think the vitals should be and there's nothing there but muscle. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the vitals on a Nilgai - they're much more upright and forward than on a deer.

My buddy shot one with his plain ol' 30-06 and it went like 15 yards and crumpled up. I shot a much smaller cow a bit back and that thing ran for miles and miles. But not because she was super insanely tough. I just didn't hit her anywhere that mattered.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                          i guess the question also comes down to where you are hunting them. in Africa or on a game ranch in Texas?
                          I feel like if he goes to Africa trying to shoot one he's going to be there for a long time lol

Comment

I killed mine a long time ago with a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. Shot at 75 yards right in the shoulder and it ran about 100 yards before falling over.

If I was to do it again, I'd take my 300 Win Mag.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                              thats crazy what was the bullet drop at that distance...

I doped 13moa so like 60”.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                                Agreed, but I think the reason they're considered so tough is a lot of deer hunters shoot where they think the vitals should be and there's nothing there but muscle. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the vitals on a Nilgai - they're much more upright and forward than on a deer.

My buddy shot one with his plain ol' 30-06 and it went like 15 yards and crumpled up. I shot a much smaller cow a bit back and that thing ran for miles and miles. But not because she was super insanely tough. I just didn't hit her anywhere that mattered.

Yeah I mean technically I had to shoot mine 4 times before it stopped running so I guess a little extra lead never hurts, I hit it perfect with the first shot.
                                Last edited by Wiley64; 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X