Fall Away Arrow Rests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Away Arrow Rests?

As I get ready for the upcoming hunting season, more and more arrows are going through the bow. Unfortunately, though I seem to have the bow dialed, either my form or my arrows (Carbon Express PileDriver Hunters) are REALLY doing a number on my arrow rest. I use a, seemingly antiquated, "analog" arrow rest and am left handed. I do my best to keep the amount of technology on my bow down to a "sporting" level. ...Ok, that's just a fancy way of saying I'm still coming up in life and funds are limited. However, a fall away rest really seems to appeal to me at the moment. Any Green Screen insight on the subject? Am I chasing a cure for a bigger problem or have I just begun to shoot with enough frequency that this kindof thing happen. Is it more of a pain to tune than it's worth? I'm still a relative newbie, so please be gentle (or make the jokes GOOD). Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by AxisAddict; 08-05-2018, 08:44 PM.

I would not hesitate to buy a used QAD HDX, you can pick them up all day long for 50-75 dollars and are the best cable driven rests on the market imo. When properly installed they are completely dependable and offer the benefits of full containment, great clearance and the ability to lock the arrow in the “up” position while at brace. I’ve had several new bows over the years but have not bought a new rest in over six years as
    I just move the other two QAD’s to the new bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated the QADs are a great rest. Also look at Ripcord or my personal favorite a Limbdriver Pro V. If you haven’t checked out ArcheryTalk yet they have a pretty extensive classifieds section for used equipment as do several of the Facebook groups. Some rest are easier to set up than others, but a little you tube searching will show you all you need to know if you don’t want to go to a good pro shop for whatever reason (I’d recommend the pro shop though if you’re new to setting up a bow). There’s nothing more frustrating than having your arrows all over the place.
      Last edited by dbelcher269; 08-05-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Agreed, nothing more frustrating than a wild group of arrows. I spent my first couple of months in the sport doing that and it almost put me off of the pursuit with a bow. Shame on me. I suppose I have a bit of a sour tooth on used gear. That probably stems from my rock climbing days when you had to know "EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENED to a particular piece of gear or you would die" and my recent attachment to the 1920 engraved shotgun post. Perhaps I just need to get over myself. TBH has gotten me this far and I couldn't be more grateful!

Comment

QAD’s are great rests and I used them for years. However, I now prefer Hamskea.

Comment

Qad, limbdriver pro v, and nap apache. My son has 2 qad's, one on each of his bows and loves them. I have a nap apache on one that I have been shooting 5 years, and zero issues with it and I love it. I think they are all made pretty good these days, so its gonna come down to budget.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
              Qad, limbdriver pro v, and nap apache. My son has 2 qad's, one on each of his bows and loves them. I have a nap apache on one that I have been shooting 5 years, and zero issues with it and I love it. I think they are all made pretty good these days, so its gonna come down to budget.
              Here's another vote for the NAP Apache. I've been shooting one for 6 years, and I've never had an issue with it. It just simply works......

Comment

As a professional technician, you're def on the right track heading toward the drop-away technology. You'll experience more un-affected flight as well as much less wear and tear on the fletches/vanes of your arrows. Best wishes bud!!

Comment

never been a fan of the qad rest,,( I have seen hundreds of issues with them),,, the nap apache has proven to be very reliable, the limb driver pro v is my choice if I use a fall away most of the time,,,, but I am an old bird with steady hands,, I still use the whisker biscuit because it has been 100% all the time.....

Comment

After wearing out several WB whiskers over the years I switched to a QAD hunter last year and couldn't be happier with it.

Comment

Qad no doubt

Comment

I tried a limbdriver pro V and hated it: arrow rattled around in it, difficult to keep the arrow in place if shooting at an angle, felt like the string could get caught in brush. Went back to a WB.

Comment

My QAD is with the manufacturer for repair at the moment. They are taking care of me which is good but had it died in Oct. I'd be an unhappy camper.

Comment

Too bad you're a lefty or I'd have a vital gear drop away that I would give you.

Comment

Well, you probably already know this but...

A fall away rest just masks some of the more harsh reaction that comes with not following through when you release the string.. or torque... or any number of things that inconsistent form will bring out.

A fall away rest comes with the risk of adding yet another mechanical, moving part, that requires special timing to your setup. A point of failure as it were (rest doesn't drop, or drops at the wrong time, etc.)

Fixed rests do wear, but for the most part, they are very consistent.

So, it is a tradeoff. Forgiveness vs risk of failure. Honestly, I don't see fixed vs fall-away having much to do with "sporting level" of the setup. If you got a compound bow with mechanical release... a fall-away rest isn't going to really deflect much on the "sporting" needle. Not that anybody, but you, should give a darn about the "sportiness" of a setup.

So, if you don't like to tinker, or you don't like to visit the bow shop regularly to have somebody take a look at your rig... I'd shy away from it. If you want to buy some forgiveness at the risk of having yet another thing to think about or deal with... then get one.

Comment

Working...
                              X