Books on stalking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on stalking

I started this thread around the camp fire, but have not had any luck. Thought you guys that hang out here may be more helpful.

Looking for good reading, reference material on stalking deer.
    I ember reading a thread about something like " walk like a deer" but can not find it

Anyone know the reference? Or any books to look into? Thanks.

This is a good one.

Comment

I will second the Asbell book. You will find that some of it is already obvious to you, but there are things in there that may not have been obvious (although seem obvious after you try them.)

I like to pick it up from time to time to remind me of things I should try.

My last trip out to the lease, I was able to get within 20 yards of a heard of axis. It was too bad that I got impatient at one point. Lesson learned.

Comment

stalking on the Around the Campfire side that's funny I'll bet a few had to Google it

Comment

The book by G.Fred pretty much covers it, and much better than any of us could type out to you here.
          The book is definitely worth the purchase & read.

That said, I'll add this:
          Stalking whitetail deer is a whole different ballgame, than stalking most other game animals.
          They are generally much more difficult, and depending on the area you are hunting, they can be darn near (if not) impossible.

I've had some success stalking them over the years, but the percentages are very low.
          On most of the places I have been fortunate enough to hunt, if you are on the ground moving, the whitetail know it,
          and you can very well push them off, or make them go entirely nocturnal if you pressure them enough.

I know you are probably wanting to stalk them to get a different perspective of the hunt,
          than what you get when shooting them at a feeder. At least that's why I have done it, and still do occasionally.

One thing you need to keep in mind is, if you are hunting a property with other hunters, your stalking can very
          easily have a negative impact on their hunting, so some care to that end is to be considered.

What I have found to be much more productive is to set up, and ambush them on trails, fence crossing, etc.
          I've actually enjoyed, and been the most productive using this as a stick & move technique. I find it much more
          satisfying than shooting them at a feeder.

I have nothing against using a feeder on places where it is needed, or if that is what is desired.
          It's how I do most of my whitetail hunting these days.

Rick

Comment

I will agree with Rick on WT vs everything else. My lease has hogs, WT, and axis.

While still hunting, I have been able to get close enough to shoot at hogs and axis... but never a whitetail.

The nice thing about Fred's book is that he covers a couple good categories.

1) How to walk slow and silently.
            2) How to walk when you are in a "hurry"
            3) What tools you will need (small binos, pruners, etc.)
            4) Strategy (you still hunt where you have previously scouted and know hold/attract animals.)
            5) Constructing ground blinds.

Essentially, when still hunting, I pretty much am covering terrain and moving between spots that I know animals usually go to eat. Certain travel route spots are good ambush spots and I'll hang out there for a while before moving on to another location.

Still hunting white-tails with a bow takes an immense amount of skill or luck in my opinion. I have been within 7 yards of a deer twice while stalking/still hunting and as it turned out, neither time was while going after deer.

The first time was years ago while squirrel hunting in Huntsville state park. I got some what lost as I was moving from tree to tree and waiting for couple minutes each time. All of a sudden I heard movement and next thing I know this doe comes running by me and stops just when before she gets into my wind shadow. I stood there with a shotgun and I thought about how many times I had hunted the woods surrounding the park looking for a deer to kill and here is this doe, 7 yards away. ARGG!!!!

The second time was stalking rabbits while a buddy of mine was checking out a spot for hogs while we were down in South Texas. I was as quietly as I could, closing 30 yards between me and a cotton tail hiding up under a mesquite. I stopped at one point, looked behind me and there stood a doe 7 yards in the middle of the path I had just walked on. Various reasons I couldn't shoot that thing... but I slowly turned as it was staring at me. I decided to have some fun, stomped my leg and wheezed. It flinched and stood there for a second trying to figure out what the heck was going on before it finally pounced away.

Comment

Oh, I thought this was a thread that my Girlfriend wrote, but she isn't actually my girlfiend!

Comment

I can't say that I have ever stalked a WT close enough for a shot, but I do still hunt and have had a number of occasions where the deer came right up on me after I saw them coming. I carry a Niff-t seat and will stop and sit for a while if I find a good spot, or just still hunt. It is fun way to hunt, but there are more productive ways to hunt WT if you are in dire need of the meat.
                Asbell's book is the best one I know. I have gotten to within 30 yards of bobcats before.
                You need a place big enough and with enough access points to play the wind. I generally do it on public land because I don't own enough myself.
                That said, I can have just as much fun hunting for small game with a lot less work, and the nose is not quite as big a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                  That said, I can have just as much fun hunting for small game with a lot less work, and the nose is not quite as big a factor.
                  I would pay for a lease where I could go and just hunt rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                  X